• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    I got a very nice Walther P1 the other day. Came with 2 mags and a holster. It looks like its hardly been fired and its the smoothest of these guns Ive ever felt. Thinking about splurging and getting some wood grips for it, I think it would look nice on it. I havnt fired it yet sadly because work owns my soul till after the holidays.

16kbyop.jpg

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I got a very nice Walther P1 the other day. Came with 2 mags and a holster. It looks like its hardly been fired and its the smoothest of these guns Ive ever felt. Thinking about splurging and getting some wood grips for it, I think it would look nice on it. I havnt fired it yet sadly because work owns my soul till after the holidays.

16kbyop.jpg

Congratulations on your purchase.

The P38(..or the post war designation P1) when you think about it, represents a paradigm shift in handgun design. Starting with the Smith and Wesson model 39(...the design and development of which was a direct result of the US ordnance department's post war evaluation of the P38), the Walther P38 took the hand gun world from the revolver to the automatic. On the 1920s and 1930s Walther pistols, you find double action firing, hammer block safety, loaded chamber indicator and decocking lever. It was features like those included by Karl Walther that made the automatic more safe and more practical then the revolver and paved the way for the double action auto pistol boom that occurred in the late 20th century.

Yep...even the "Combat Tupperware" of the 21st century have their ancestry in the Walther P38.

Hey tgallmey, go to the Wolff Springs website and order a pair of new recoil springs for $12. These guns are old. The springs loose tension which causes excessive wear to the frame and locking block.

I just installed a set of the extra power variety in my February of 1945 Spreewerk P38. They brought a sluggish cycling war horse back to life.

http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/WALTHER/P-38,%20P-5,%20P-5%20COMPACT/cID1/mID70/dID306

P.S. Yes on the wooden grips!

Last edited:

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus

16kbyop.jpg

Probably one of the prettiest guns ever made. (And that's coming from a Beretta fanatic!)

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    Definitely a nice P1! :yesway: I enjoy shooting mine very much, even when one of them pings an empty off of my forehead. :D I have two AC44 (made in 1944 by Walther) P38s and a P1. I also think that I'm getting a WWII holster for Christmas, so I can't wait for that.

Top Bottom