• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cfl4rat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Rosstucky
    Finally got my Liberty Mystic-X yesterday, rushed home like a little kid on x-mas morning figured I'd throw it on my M&P 15-22 for a good quite tester.. Well lets just say after a few rounds my wife says "well that's no different" WTF so I pull the can off run a mag and put it back on quick for another and not much of a difference. So I pulled out my 20" barreled .223 bolt gun and put the can on and guess what it really quieted it down damn well, no ears needed at all.

So what gives all the videos ive seen running the same can with a semi-auto .22 have been so quite pretty much all you hear is the bolt cycling..

I talked to a guy @ liberty and he said I can try some different grain/velocity ammo but it shouldn't make a difference, they all should be quite?.....

Just need to order a different adapter to run it on my 300BLK guns.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Being that it has a bore diameter large enough for 9mm to pass through, it's not going to be as quiet as a can that only has a bore large enough for .22lr/5.56.

Also, you are trying to cycle a semi-auto, so the rounds will still have to be full power. Standard velocity .22lr out of a 16"+ barrel will break the sound barrier and make the supersonic crack.

Some cameras collect the sound in such a way that an AR-15 without a suppressor doesn't even sound that loud. Watch a few videos by silencer shop and you'll see what I mean. The only way go achieve what you were hoping for would be subsonic ammo through a bolt-action .22lr.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Being that it has a bore diameter large enough for 9mm to pass through, it's not going to be as quiet as a can that only has a bore large enough for .22lr/5.56.

Also, you are trying to cycle a semi-auto, so the rounds will still have to be full power. Standard velocity .22lr out of a 16"+ barrel will break the sound barrier and make the supersonic crack.

Some cameras collect the sound in such a way that an AR-15 without a suppressor doesn't even sound that loud. Watch a few videos by silencer shop and you'll see what I mean. The only way go achieve what you were hoping for would be subsonic ammo through a bolt-action .22lr.
    I've not had any standard velocity .22lr go supersonic out of my rifles.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Finally got my Liberty Mystic-X yesterday, rushed home like a little kid on x-mas morning figured I'd throw it on my M&P 15-22 for a good quite tester.. Well lets just say after a few rounds my wife says "well that's no different" WTF so I pull the can off run a mag and put it back on quick for another and not much of a difference. So I pulled out my 20" barreled .223 bolt gun and put the can on and guess what it really quieted it down damn well, no ears needed at all.

So what gives all the videos ive seen running the same can with a semi-auto .22 have been so quite pretty much all you hear is the bolt cycling..

I talked to a guy @ liberty and he said I can try some different grain/velocity ammo but it shouldn't make a difference, they all should be quite?.....

Just need to order a different adapter to run it on my 300BLK guns.
    If you are running supersonic .22lr you will not hear a lot of difference. The ammo you use makes a world of difference in how loud/quiet it will be. Get some Standard Velocity or Subsonic ammo and try it.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    So the website isn't entirely clear about the inner diameter of the baffles, if they're one-size-fits-all or if they sell individual cores.

If the same core is used for .22lr, .223/5.56mm, .308/7.62mm and 300BLK then you'll probably notice a good deal better noise reduction in the larger caliber bullets. There's just more gas escaping past the projectile and out of the muzzle before it can be slowed inside the can with the smaller diameter bullets.

Subsonic .22lr might make a difference on the 15-22, but might also have trouble cycling a semi-auto action.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I'm not sure if this will help your exact situation, but there is a lot of good information in this video.

[video=youtube;2HzMLvrF6u4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HzMLvrF6u4[/video]

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    My mind, and my memory, ain't the greatest, but I thought all .22 lr, was at LEAST 1000 fps ..... Am I wrong ?????

There are a few varieties of "standard" .22lr that are subsonic. Which is around 1,125 fps. CCI Standard Velocity is claimed to be 1,070 while their Quiet is 710 fps. All of my bulk ammo is above 1,200 fps so no chance at subsonic out of a rifled barrel.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I have found, on a semi 22 rifle, the sound of the bolt cycling really diminishes the perceived noise reduction of the can to the shooter when behind the rifle.

Step to the side and the reduction is much more noticeable.

CCI SV has always worked great for me, has never gone supersonic in a 16" rifle, and provides noticeable reduction in noise (due to lack of supersonic *crack*) with a suppressor.

Davecz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2014
    Dyer
    Try some cci standard velocity It Will stay subsonic and it cycles my .22 AR just fine. Plus damn quiet

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I've seen a M&P 15-22 and a Ruger 10/22 shot side by side with suppressors.
    The Ruger was a LOT quieter.
    Shoot the 15-22 at night, a lot more flame coming out of places. Those places are also letting sound come out.

cfl4rat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Rosstucky
    Sorry for the absence guys, long night at work, thanks for all the replies and pointers, sounds like I need to get my hands on a 10-22. What should I expect out of a 22 pistol? I have a .22 colt/urmex unfortunately its back for warranty work.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Sorry for the absence guys, long night at work, thanks for all the replies and pointers, sounds like I need to get my hands on a 10-22. What should I expect out of a 22 pistol? I have a .22 colt/urmex unfortunately its back for warranty work.

Bolt actions are also quieter.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Shorter barrels like on the pistol will help keep the ammo from going super.

This is why I got a 4.5" barrel for my first SBR. I run bulk pack ammo thru it and rarely get a super sonic crack. As close to movie quiet with a semi that I have used.

I had a 1911-22 and it was the same way. Now I have an M&P 22 and have no issues besides sight height with it. I don't use it much at all. I would rather keep that can dedicated for the 22 upper.

Lots of fun.

deanald2pt0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    NW Indy
    My M&P 15-22 wont suppress worth a damn. It doesn't matter what type of ammo I use, it lets too much gas blow out the action. Because of this, I don't even bother running it with the suppressor on it anymore.

My 10/22 is a different story, much quieter and feeds standard velocity and sub-sonic ammo more reliably.

My Savage SVSR 22 is ridiculously quiet using subs, it's still pretty quiet with high velocity ammo but then you still here the sonic crack.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    My M&P 15-22 wont suppress worth a damn. It doesn't matter what type of ammo I use, it lets too much gas blow out the action. Because of this, I don't even bother running it with the suppressor on it anymore.

My 10/22 is a different story, much quieter and feeds standard velocity and sub-sonic ammo more reliably.

My Savage SVSR 22 is ridiculously quiet using subs, it's still pretty quiet with high velocity ammo but then you still here the sonic crack.
    Odd. Mine works really well.
    [video=youtube;BRVEoX7glFA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRVEoX7glFA[/video]

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    You can use most any .22lr ammo in a pistol. I've used ammo listed up to 1270fps or so without it going supersonic in my MP22.

FOr the ultimate in quiet, you need to get a bolt though. My Savage FVSR is really quiet.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I totally get the desire to have the one can to rule them all (something I wish I had thought of before I got into suppressors, now that I have 5 of them), but you might just want to get a dedicated .22 can if you'll be doing a lot of .22 suppressed. I think you might be happier with the results.

Top Bottom