• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Effingham

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Franklin
    In 1945, when dad came home from WW2, he had a Czech "Pistole modell 27" (now generally called a CZ-27). After Germany annexed Czechoslovakia, they took the CZ27 and turned it into the standard side arm of the police and much of the Wehrmacht.

After my dad died in 1967, mom didn't want guns in the house -- and we only had the one. Part of it, I think, was that I was only six at the time, too. So she gave it to my dad's sister and brother-in-law. When they passed on, the gun ended up in the hands of my cousin.

I just today got it back, complete with holster and spare magazine.

gun-dad-CZ27.jpg

I doubt it's been fired or disassembled since the early sixties, so I plan to take it to a gunsmith for a once-over, and then take it out and put a few magazines of .32 through it in dad's honor.

It feels kind of strange -- I haven't seen this since I was five or six, and it really feels strange to have it back. Dad brought this home from The War. Dammit, some smoke from my pipe seems to have gotten into my eyes.

I need a scotch.

Tony

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Congrats man... I'm glad it got back to the person it means the most too. Have fun getting acquainted with your new family heirloom!

Ineverfollow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Madison County
    I think this is a great post and I am happy for you! My grandfather brought back an AK-47 and a M1 Grand they were both stolen and every time I think about it I hate it. Have fun shooting that gun and again I am happy for you!!!!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My grandfather brought back an AK-47 and a M1 Grand they were both stolen and every time I think about it I hate it.

Pardon me, but an AK-47? From WWII?

Perhaps you mean a Stg44 or 45??? And a Garand?

That is a fine looking pistol and the Czech pistols are an emerging market right now (if you ever wanted to sell it).

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Pardon me, but an AK-47? From WWII?

Perhaps you mean a Stg44 or 45??? And a Garand?

That is a fine looking pistol and the Czech pistols are an emerging market right now (if you ever wanted to sell it).

Perhaps Korea or Vietnam?

Anyhow, OP: Fantastic looking pistol! It does look almost pristine.

Tasks ahead: Go buy some .32ACP and a bottle of slivovitz!

-J-

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    That's awesome! I remember my dad had a PPK in a leather holster and a lever action rifle of some sort. I was in the 7th grade when he died and the guns disappeared. I really wish I could have gotten them somehow. Glad you got yours back. :yesway:

Effingham

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Franklin
    Thanks for the kind words.

I think I've fingered this thing more in the past day than some of the guns in my shooting rotation altogether. :)

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Feel for you, man.

Memory is a *****. Congrats on keeping it all in the family for so long. You be lucky. EBG
    In 1945, when dad came home from WW2, he had a Czech "Pistole modell 27" (now generally called a CZ-27). After Germany annexed Czechoslovakia, they took the CZ27 and turned it into the standard side arm of the police and much of the Wehrmacht.

After my dad died in 1967, mom didn't want guns in the house -- and we only had the one. Part of it, I think, was that I was only six at the time, too. So she gave it to my dad's sister and brother-in-law. When they passed on, the gun ended up in the hands of my cousin.

I just today got it back, complete with holster and spare magazine.

gun-dad-CZ27.jpg

I doubt it's been fired or disassembled since the early sixties, so I plan to take it to a gunsmith for a once-over, and then take it out and put a few magazines of .32 through it in dad's honor.

It feels kind of strange -- I haven't seen this since I was five or six, and it really feels strange to have it back. Dad brought this home from The War. Dammit, some smoke from my pipe seems to have gotten into my eyes.

I need a scotch.

Tony

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    Congrats. Sometimes things just are how they should be. Nothing wrong with letting the smoke roll up from your pipe(even if the eyes get alil watery) and stroking a true piece of history.

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    Congrats man! My Grandpa recently told me that the old marlin .22 of his, he was leaving to me when he passes, which means a lot since it was the first gun i ever shot. When i was living at home with the parents they never allowed guns in the house and i would always sneek over to my grandpas and shoot with him, some items no matter how old, worn or rusted can mean more than any new thing money could buy, enjoy it and shoot in his honor.

jurassicnarc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    I'm happy you were able to get it back. I remember the feeling of getting my Dad's 16ga Ithaca back after many years. Now it is being used by the third and forth generation.

Top Bottom