Got my engine tore down. Anyone else working on their car this winter?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I got the 250 I6 engine out of my '77 Ford Maverick and taken apart. I kept the six because I wanted it to be different. The engine will have to be bored so I am getting a set of flat top pistons. The crank was good but I am getting it polished this week. I am adding a performance cam and adjustable rocker assembly. I am also having a valve job done along with a port and polish and getting the intake milled to accept a bigger carb. I already swapped the rear gears for a set of 3:25's and will be putting in a shift kit for the C4 transmission and possibly changing the shifter from the column to the floor. I have been having a lot of fun rebuilding hype drive train. Can't wait 'til spring!!!!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Doing some touch up in the engine compartment, looking at one of those March Serpentine setups, pretty expensive.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I got the 250 I6 engine out of my '77 Ford Maverick and taken apart. I kept the six because I wanted it to be different. The engine will have to be bored so I am getting a set of flat top pistons. The crank was good but I am getting it polished this week. I am adding a performance cam and adjustable rocker assembly. I am also having a valve job done along with a port and polish and getting the intake milled to accept a bigger carb. I already swapped the rear gears for a set of 3:25's and will be putting in a shift kit for the C4 transmission and possibly changing the shifter from the column to the floor. I have been having a lot of fun rebuilding hype drive train. Can't wait 'til spring!!!!

Would'n waste my time with'a 6.....put'cha some real shizz in'ere.....

:):

'72 Grabber......went thru so many 302's wud'n funny.....twizt'em sunvabatch's right up in pieces
    351 C stroked 393..... all'a goody's, an' then some.....some from Roush, some from Bill Felker (RIP.....:()
    should'a put down 'round 600+ carb'd pony's......
    It'd free-tach 8000+ jus' tap'n the throttle......:):
    was run'n a 4:63 in'a rear.....was gonna tub it, an' run a 5:18 spool.....:rockwoot:

life's tuff choices git's in'a way some times......:rolleyes:

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    I had a 76 maverick as my first car. Baby poop green. Road tar was holding the fenders together. But the engine rockd the entire car. Some neighborhood jerk tried to put sugar in the gas tank and it ran BETTER.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    If I had a garage I'd be taking the front of my engine off to fix the timing cover coolant leak. Always friggin happens when it's cold outside!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am not working on anything this winter. I am at the place in my life that is it needs more than routine maintainance, it gets replaced.

I do want to encourage you on having fun with a straight 6. They they can be fun. I took a ride in a truck that was a 300 straight 6, basically like yours. It had a trick valve job, a fat cam, a manifold that accepted a 4 barrel and true dual exhaust balanced split headers. It was amazing how hard that truck would accelerate. I always thought a straight six with a centrifical supercharger would be a blast, as you can make a mountain of torque without the kind of rpms that will bust up the long crankshafts.

In the sixties Pontiac sold a Tempest with an Over head Cam straight six engine with the 3 on the floor transmission option that would walk right past an entry level 326 Pontiac v8 (that admittedly was kind of a pooch)

There is a certain perverse satisfaction when you leave someone behind at a light and then have the opportunity to tell them, "hey, I only got a straight six"

Jaguar always did pretty good with a straight 6 that started life as a fire truck engine. "six in a row CAN go"

Last edited:

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I've got a G10 engine to replace the head gasket on, and will do all the other junk in the process, probably including valve and bearing seals and rings. Also have the accompanying transmission to replace synchros in.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

I used to race a guy at the national level that would show up with a 258 powered Gremlin!!! He actually did pretty good with the weight breaks he got and the lighter front end but there's nothing like v8 torque to pull you out of a turn!!

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    To answer the OP, does "wanting to" count?? I've got a 65 mustang racecar that I dearly want to get back together and I've got a couple of little projects on the convertible I want to complete before the spring semester starts!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    New (to me) Dana 60 front end sitting on the stands. No front axle/suspension in the old CJ right now (sold the old D44 a while ago, and cut off all the brackets). I HOPE to make some progress over the Holidays.

Top Bottom