Got my engine tore down. Anyone else working on their car this winter?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I am not working on anything this winter. I am at the place in my life that is it needs more than routine maintainance, it gets replaced.

I do want to encourage you on having fun with a straight 6. They they can be fun. I took a ride in a truck that was a 300 straight 6, basically like yours. It had a trick valve job, a fat cam, a manifold that accepted a 4 barrel and true dual exhaust balanced split headers. It was amazing how hard that truck would accelerate. I always thought a straight six with a centrifical supercharger would be a blast, as you can make a mountain of torque without the kind of rpms that will bust up the long crankshafts.

In the sixties Pontiac sold a Tempest with an Over head Cam straight six engine with the 3 on the floor transmission option that would walk right past an entry level 326 Pontiac v8 (that admittedly was kind of a pooch)

There is a certain perverse satisfaction when you leave someone behind at a light and then have the opportunity to tell them, "hey, I only got a straight six"

Jaguar always did pretty good with a straight 6 that started life as a fire truck engine. "six in a row CAN go"
    Yea, I could have put in a small block but thats what most everyone does. I really wanted this build to be old school!

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    Just picked up a daily, so the Grand Prix can get worked on. May seem strange, a FWD 4 door grocery getter, but it's got a turbo'd 3.8 in it. Should be getting some exhaust modifications this winter, and hopefully a new camshaft.

orangeITguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    The Heart
    yep, putting a LT1 in my s10.

attachment.php

attachment.php

nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I'm off work for 3 weeks, thanks to Vacation time + Holidays, and today's first project was cleaning my garage. We have a "two" car attached, but there's no way you can easily get two cars in there. So, my Shelby gets the one side to itself and clutter seems to pile up faster than snot on the other. So, rearranged and what-not today to make it easier to get around. I also moved my motorcycle in front of the car. Talk about a tight squeeze!

That project will hopefully lead into me spending several days over the next few weeks detailing sections of the Shelby and giving the engine compartment some attention. I DD my Shelby during the warmer months and it's really hard to keep it as clean as I'd like. I've come to the conclusion she'll never be a show car... and that's OK with me.

Also, my wife got me a jack that will lift my F150, so I may pull the front end of it in and lift her up. Pull the wheels, rotate, and check pads. I may even switch the pads out for ceramic. I hate the stupid dust all over the front wheels!

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    Not working on my car.. But I currently have the front end of my dirt bike off, so I can do the fork seals. I also plan on adjusting the valves and replacing both the front and rear tires sometime this winter.

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    Destroyed the clutch in my Fiero a couple years ago, pulled it all apart last summer and am now getting around to putting it back together. This car has a supercharged 3800 in it, its like a badass gokart.

Top Bottom