Got screwed - how would you have done it ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    Guy out of state posts an SKS for sale on Facebook, I respond. We go back and forth for a couple days. I check his Fb and it has a family picture with him, wife and daughter & a nice school picture of the daughter.

I offer a price, he says let me check with my wife and I will get with you tomorrow. He does, she is OK with it. I offer to send half, he sends to ffl. When received I send second half. He agrees.

I send money order certified mail to him. He gets the check and disappears. Not a peep since. I have emailed & messaged on Fb daily and placed a beware on the Fb page.

Guess i'm pooched. I know it was a gamble and I lost... damnit.

Is there a way to do a transaction so you would be protected? Escrow some how? Third party to hold the funds?

Signed,

S.O.L.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    How far out of state? Call the local police and see if they can help.
    Did you send it USPS, where was the MO from?

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Damn that sucks. I agree I'd call the police and provide the serial number for the gun and any other info you have. What happened was a crime. You might have to follow up and ask for a fraud detective.

hondaCBR

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 7, 2016
    Indiana
    PayPal offers buyer protection on all sales transactions. I have used it for over ten years with not a single issue. The way it works is... You pay, PayPal then gives you (I think around 2 months) to open a dispute if you are not satisfied with the transaction. They have ways to penalize the seller but whether they get the money from the seller or not they pay you your money back. Pursuing the seller is on them.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    PayPal offers buyer protection on all sales transactions. I have used it for over ten years with not a single issue. The way it works is... You pay, PayPal then gives you (I think around 2 months) to open a dispute if you are not satisfied with the transaction. They have ways to penalize the seller but whether they get the money from the seller or not they pay you your money back. Pursuing the seller is on them.

Paypal will seize any funds you have in your account if they find out you are paying for or receiving money for firearms.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Paypal will seize any funds you have in your account if they find out you are paying for or receiving money for firearms.

And Square (the iphone credit card reader) is just as anti gun. They will suspend business accounts that they determine are buying/selling guns. 100% of funds get held for between 90 days and 6 months. (to provide time for any fraud charges to be filed :rolleyes:) Quite a few small gun stores with horror stories of tens of thousands of dollars held for 3+ months. Money that was needed to pay suppliers, really hurting those small businesses. :xmad:

Sorry you got screwed. At least it wasnt the full amount.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

Not just firearms.
    They held more than $300 of mine for more than 4 weeks over the sale of a crossbow.
    I would not trust Paypal to do ANYTHING about ANY "weapons" related transactions.

Postal money orders are the way to go.
    Not only is the M.O. itself traceable, but paying as such, and through the mail brings it into mail-fraud territory.
    Feds frown on that pretty hard.

Other than that,
    Caveat Emptor

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    Since he's shipping state-to-state and has to go through a local gun shop, have that shop send you an invoice when he brings the gun to them to drop off for shipping. He can instruct them not to ship until payment clears and he collects his money locally. You'll have an invoiced transaction through a verified business. Might take a few extra days on both ends but it sure cuts down on problems like this from happening.

There's another way to do it too. Don't deal with random strangers!

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    USPS MO all the way. If they skip out on you it's a Federal crime, and postal inspectors do not mess around by what I hear.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    Thanks for the info on PayPal frowning on firearm sales and bow's. I was un aware of that.
    I was too until a few years ago. PayPal called me and told me they were reviewing my account because I was selling ammo and collecting cash via their service. When they told me they didn't like America I told them to close my account and wouldn't do business with them anymore. They told me it wasn't that big a deal and I could still use their service for E-Bay, etc., as long as it wasn't guns or bayonets, ammo, bows, etc. I demanded they close my account immediately.

Haven't spent a penny of my money through their service since.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Message all his facebook friends asking how you can get in touch with him on an important matter.

Top Bottom