• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Went to the build party that varasha held and got my 80% lower milled. That was the first time I ever used a milling machine. It was nice. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I thought I would screw some thing up. It didn't happen.

I have to give a big thanks to the host. He saved me a lot of time. The plan was to do it all with my drill press. I know that was going to be a chore. The milling machine made it so easy and it looks good. That thing saved me a lot of time and cleaning up with the dremmel tool.

I put it all together except for the stock that I don't have yet. It all went together fine. It all seems to work as it should. When I get the stock I will put a upper on it and try it out.

varasha thank you much for the invite and the use of that fine machine. Please let me know when you do the 80% 10-22 build. I will be in for that one.

AttackMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Nomad
    That's awesome!! So happy it worked out for you! How long did it take with the milling machine? I'm glad you posted, I was wondering how it turned out!

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I would say it took about two hours. It probably could have been dun faster. It wasn't my cutter or machine and I didn't want to push any thing for fear of braking something so it was dun very slowly.

Mitchell0481

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Crown point
    How does that work? If you have an 80% lower, is it legal to mill yourself? I was looking at some for sale, but didn't know if I could legally finish it.

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    I'm not positive about this, but I believe this is classified as AOW (any other weapon) by the BATF. You can finish the receiver and build a complete gun, but it is yours only and must by registered with BATF on a form 1 to be totally legal. There are others here that may have more details and will correct me if wrong I'm sure. :popcorn:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I'm not positive about this, but I believe this is classified as AOW (any other weapon) by the BATF. You can finish the receiver and build a complete gun, but it is yours only and must by registered with BATF on a form 1 to be totally legal. There are others here that may have more details and will correct me if wrong I'm sure. :popcorn:

Um, no. :n00b:

It is perfectly legal, you just can't do it with the intent to sell. Not NFA.

AttackMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Nomad
    And if, in the future you desire to sell it(you may not make it and then immediately sell it as that would be in the business of guns for which to need an FFL) you need only put the appropriate markings on so an FFL can record the transaction (Serial number, etc) though I believe that if you sold to a private individual you need do nothing further.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    You can indeed finish it yourself, you can even get a fixture with guides for the drills and mills. What you're completing is the "firearm" part. The lower is considered to be a firearm in its own right; you have to go FFL/4473/NICS to get one of those, but all of the other parts are cash & carry. Interestingly, an autosear, a simple stamped and formed bit of sheet metal, is considered a "machine gun" in much the same way.

If you complete it yourself, it is for your own use only, and you must NOT put together anything NFA. This means no SBRs or select fire, that kind of thing. The rest of the gun still has to be legal. You are not required, though it's recommended, to put an ID and serial number of some sort on it. No paperwork need be filed.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Can we have pictures?:D

This is another reason I love INGO. People here are teaching others how to make guns. Mighty vibes.

Some day I vow to do this. Goodness knows I have a lot to learn. Does it help that I got an A in 8th grade metal shop (and the extent of my training).:D

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I probably could have worded that better. I suppose you could register an SBR prior to assembly, if you had serial number and all. I've just seen people go off on a tangent where they think they can make whatever they want and it'll be ok.

AttackMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Nomad
    Can we have pictures?:D

This is another reason I love INGO. People here are teaching others how to make guns. Mighty vibes.

Some day I vow to do this. Goodness knows I have a lot to learn. Does it help that I got an A in 8th grade metal shop (and the extent of my training).:D

photo1_zpsd48fe07e.jpg

Kirk this is the one I completed, it wasn't at the party but I would like to be part of the next one for sure, I have a bunch more to finish! Hopefully before that time I'll learn a little about anodizing and can contribute the capability to anodize hopefully with simple insignias too... :rockwoot:

(it's an AR57 upper) had it handy and so I put it on, fired the lower with both the 5.7 and .223 uppers and they worked great!!

Last edited:

AttackMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Nomad
    It's an AR57 upper with what I believe is an SBR that had a fake suppressor can welded on to make it legal (per the FFL/manufacturer that sold it to him). Looks nice and functions fine though I would have preferred either the SBR or a regular barrel but I bought it from a friend and he gave me a good deal so I'm not complaining. I'm in love with the 5.7 cartridge, can't wait to get a PS90 and a FiveseveN!!

Top Bottom