Got the motorcycle out today...and had my first wreck.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    This minor wreck? You didn't see it coming. The wreck that kills you or leaves you mangled for life you won't see coming either.
    Lesson ONE... You walked away from this one.
    Remember what happened and learn from it.

Riding a motor cycle is different than driving a car.
    Other cars will kill you. Ride accordingly

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    As everyone else expressed, I am also glad you are okay. You should consider taking an advanced rider course. A motorcycle is like a gun in many ways, you get training and then practice what you learn. And you never stop learning no matter how good you get.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Add me to the list of well wishers, Paul. I'm glad it wasn't anymore serious than what it was. Good luck and never assume the cars and trucks see you.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    :eek:

Look out out for the other guy!
    Had a lady follow a guy making a right on red and she just drove straight through the intersection after him..... with me in the middle of it.
    I couldn't do anything but hammer the gas to get my butt out of the way.

Be safe out there kids.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Been down a few times myself. Quit riding at 26 when my first child arrived. Brain bucket has saved my skull and my boyish good looks a couple of times. Elbows and knees weren't so lucky in a pair of painters pants and a polo shirt at 60 mph. On a bike you have to drive for everyone else on the road. I drive a Semi these days and as much as I miss the exhilaration and the acceleration, I just can't justify the risk.
    Hope you heal well and swiftly and learned something useful.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I've finally been getting better gear the last couple of years. Good gloves and (armored, kevlar-lined) riding jeans last year. A better helmet already this spring, and a new jacket is supposed to arrive tomorrow.

I haven't needed the gear yet, but I want to have it on if ever (or whenever) I do.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Glad there was no serious injury or damage.

Tailgaters have always irritated me, especially on a bike. I can see people on the phone in the mirror and realize how distracted they are.

Don

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I want to thank everyone in the thread for their kind words and advice. This whole thing has been quite a lot to absorb. I really appreciate the support.

As everyone else expressed, I am also glad you are okay. You should consider taking an advanced rider course. A motorcycle is like a gun in many ways, you get training and then practice what you learn. And you never stop learning no matter how good you get.

What an excellent analogy! As I thought back through the event, it was your suggestion that kept rising to the surface: I need to seek out additional training, and practice my skills in the most appropriate way possible.

The safest place to ride a motorcycle is a closed course. A racetrack is the only place a high-performance motorcycle can operate near its full potential. As a rider, I can benefit from additional training, experience, and practice.

So, I think more track days, fewer solo over-the-road excursions for me going forward, especially on the sportbike.

...maybe its time to add that cruiser or tourer to the stable!

Thanks again, everyone, for the support!
    :ingo:

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    No fun at all OP. I'm glad you are okay. I had two people pull out in front of me this week with not near-enough room for my tastes. SAME DAY! (one was a young girl with a cell phone stuck in her right ear)
    Although not as much sand down this year at this time. Cager-s are not even ready for us yet this early. Bikes can be repaired or replaced. Bones, Brains, and such are a bit harder to heal/replace. If your helmet even touched the ground, replace it. Ride aware and keep riding!

That's a very good point, about replacing the helmet if there's been an impact. :yesway:

Guys, I wanted to address this point individually.

I don't think my head hit the ground...but I'm just not sure. I don't see any evidence of an impact anywhere on the helmet, but I just can't be 100% about that.

Helmets don't last forever, even if you don't bounce them off the tarmac...at the last track event I was at they told us all helmets had to be less than 5 years old. My helmet is already into its 4th season, so it's already almost due for replacement.

...looks like my .300 Blackout Mini-14 will have to wait a little longer...time for a new noggin topper!

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I would also like to note,Indiana is layed out as squares.When planning a trip to the South,the roads are quite curvey,and if you do not have alot of curve experience,be careful,and take it easy.The roads will test your skills.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    All of us who have been down and are still here to talk about it are lucky!

In your case, you probably should have left more room between you and the car in front of you, but no matter what you do and how careful you are, most motorcycle wrecks (notice, I don't usually say accidents) are caused by drivers. Many times a left hand turn in front of you, which are probably the worst wrecks.
    I'm glad you're ok, and I'm sure you learned something from this.
    I'm lucky that when I was T-boned in an intersection (lady talking to her passenger, not paying attention, ran the red light) that I went over her car instead of under it. She continued another 200 feet with my bike welded to her front bumper before she stopped!
    Always keep your eyes moving, and be prepared for evasive maneuvers!

It was getting better for motorcyclists due to the numbers of riders growing for years, until the invention of the smart phone. Cell phones themselves weren't too bad, but smart phones have led to dumb people who think it's more important to keep up with what their friends just had for lunch or to watch the cute kitten video than to keep their eyes on the road.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Man, Paul, been there done that (actually in Decemeber!).

So, any damage to be repaired? Did the idiot driver leave the scene?

In training you should have learned to straighten up the bike before hard braking, was there time for that?

Top Bottom