• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PhilB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    Randolph Co.
    I bought a Handi-Rifle in 45-70 about a month ago. I want it strictly for cast bullets and it took me this long to get my bullet mold and brass. Loaded up some plinking loads with a 9.5gr charge of Red Dot and a 405gr lead slug. My son and I tried it out and it seemed to shoot pretty well. I want to develop a subsonic load for my nephews to shoot. Today I will tinker with the powder charge to see what shoots best and also mount a reflex sight on it. My old eyes just don't see iron sights like they used to.:laugh: Eventually I want to work up some trapdoor level loads but nothing hotter. I've shot my friend's Handi in 500 S&W and I don't enjoy shooting a gun that recoils like that just to poke holes in paper.:D Now if I hunted large or dangerout game it might be a different story.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Look at trail boss powder. Kind of new cowboy power.

With the 405 lead cast cci 200 and 12 grains of powder you will get 1000 FPS give or take a few.

Trail boss meters real well and you can not double charge a case with it. I think with red dot (Mainly a pistol powder also) you could double charge a case, My main reloading book lists no 45-70 with red dot. I does list 12 guage which should make it a possible choice. I think trail boss will give you a better chance of lighting off the powder charge in that large case. 12 grains verses 9.6 or less.

On the old eyes I hear you. A peep is easier that the factory irons if you want to keep it scope/red dot less.

H&R Handy Rifle

Now on the red dot/ refles sight i would look to the small size regular scope like a 1-4 20mm or a 2-7 32mm they look correct to me on a single shoot rifle and most like just a little more cash outlay that a quality reflex. Much better for paper punching.

I love the single shot rifles and the handi or buffalo classic and top chioces in the available guns. Have a smith touch up the trigger a bit or follow the old stoning the grit off do not change the angles or the shape.. New handi's have a very heavy trigger pull at about 9 pounds.

PhilB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    Randolph Co.
    Look at trail boss powder. Kind of new cowboy power.

With the 405 lead cast cci 200 and 12 grains of powder you will get 1000 FPS give or take a few.

Trail boss meters real well and you can not double charge a case with it. I think with red dot (Mainly a pistol powder also) you could double charge a case, My main reloading book lists no 45-70 with red dot. I does list 12 guage which should make it a possible choice. I think trail boss will give you a better chance of lighting off the powder charge in that large case. 12 grains verses 9.6 or less.

On the old eyes I hear you. A peep is easier that the factory irons if you want to keep it scope/red dot less.

H&R Handy Rifle

Now on the red dot/ refles sight i would look to the small size regular scope like a 1-4 20mm or a 2-7 32mm they look correct to me on a single shoot rifle and most like just a little more cash outlay that a quality reflex. Much better for paper punching.

I love the single shot rifles and the handi or buffalo classic and top chioces in the available guns. Have a smith touch up the trigger a bit or follow the old stoning the grit off do not change the angles or the shape.. New handi's have a very heavy trigger pull at about 9 pounds.

I used Red Dot because that is what I have on hand. I've wanted to try Trail Boss but so far have not found any locally. There isn't really much of a powder selection anyplace I've been and the on-line suppliers don't have much either. I don't worry about double charges in my cases because I check the powder level in every case before I seat the bullet. Somebody gave me a link to a site that shows powder charges for most shotgun powders in the 45-70.
    The reason I'm putting a reflex sight on the gun is because I have one just laying aroung. I may put a 4x scope on the rifle eventually like I have on my .357 Handi. So far, I've been lucky when it comes to triggers on my Handi Rifles. I have 3 and none of them are as heavy as what I've read about. I think I could smooth the trigger up a bit if it came down to it. There is a site that gives step by step instructions. Thankyou for the information on Trail Boss powder. Maybe when reloading supplies get back to a more normal lever I can try some.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Make a call to PROFIRE an ingo advertiser. I bet he might be able to put some trail boss on order for you but INDY is a drive from randolph county.

I have had some trouble getting some powders like varget, h335, and H-110 but some of my other staples like w231, h322 and titegroup i have had no problems in tracking down.( i have been picking up extra supplies since the POTUS was first elected) I guess I have been lucky as most can not find w231 at least. Now finding some lil gun was a futile effort.

Trail boss looks like a 8 pound jug in 5 pound size. It has a weird smell to it. I would not call it clean burning but cleaner than unique. Excellent powder for subsonic or suppressed loads. I like it because it fills up those large cases eliminating the possibility of a primer flashing over some other powders. 38 special light loads, 44 special 30-30 45-70 45 LC any of the old original black powder stuff like 25-20 ect.

Have up measured the bore of your handi, Some are overbore by a large amount. My marlin outfitter in 444 was prefect on bore size and getts treated to jacketed bullets, My 45-70 guide gun was overbore and I use cast to fit the bore. I take it that you did before you ordered your mold. Just checking.

Top Bottom