Got to shoot my first "big girl" rifle today (Marlin 336 30-30)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lees

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    A while ago I decided to move up from a .22 rifle, but it turned out that all options in the house were both ugly and heavy. No fun! I spent a bit of time figuring out what would work best for me. I'm left-handed, which narrowed down the field a bit. My husband made a lot of suggestions but I knew I wanted wood, checkered, shiiiny, and fun to shoot. I decided on a Marlin 336, a 30-30...I waivered on whether to get the youth model (less weight), or the stainless steel (shiiiiny). I found both at a store, and the youth model wasn't for me - the action was really rough, and...it wasn't exactly love at first sight. The stainless turned out to be about at my max weight tolerance but the action was smooth and the metal was shiny, so I went for it.

I finally had the chance to try it out today, and I was not disappointed. I've had a smile on my face all day from it. I made my husband shoot it first, because I am a big chicken. It was great to shoot - not a bad kick at all, but big enough to be really fun. Probably a heavier gun than my special 20 gauge Remington 870 (it has a short stock, etc), but the kick is not as much. I have no problem shooting the 870, but only the first two shots are "fun." The rest are endurance. I had no problem getting 12 rounds through the 336, and grouped them decently enough (the sights are a bit weird for me, got to get used to them or change them). I could have shot more, I got tired from the heaviness of the gun, rather than getting worn out from the recoil (like the shotgun), but I was switching off with my husband because one of our kids didn't want to go with the grandparents so she came with us.

I got a little bit of a bruise from it, but not too bad, and the bruise is in the right spot, so at least I shouldered it correctly.

attachment.php

Last edited:

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Beautiful gun! I'm glad you found something you enjoy shooting rather than just endure.

Just because I'm an enabler, I also suggest you try the .357 or .44 carbines--nearly identical set up with very little perceived recoil. The trade-off is reduced range, but they can be a lot of fun out to at least 100 yards.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Just because I'm an enabler, I also suggest you try the .357 or .44 carbines--nearly identical set up with very little perceived recoil. The trade-off is reduced range, but they can be a lot of fun out to at least 100 yards.

That's a step down. Next step will be a 45-70 Marlin 1895.

Lees

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    You can't have just one lever action rifle. Have you checked out the Henry lever action rifles?

Don't I know it. My husband already has another Marlin picked out. My son has a youth model Henry .22, which is very nice.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    Beautiful rifle. Congrats...

I find it interesting that you find the 870's recoil less tolerable than the 3030. It has been decades since I have shot a 3030. To me, a 12 guage feels like a hard push and the 3030's punch resembling what it must feel like to be kicked in the shoulder by a mule. Maybe I need to revisit this caliber.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    You can't have just one lever action rifle. Have you checked out the Henry lever action rifles?

Ain't that the truth.
    I started on my lever gun life about 10 years ago with a Marlin 1894 .44mag.
    Now I have 5 lever guns...and more to come.

Congrats on a beautiful choice.

Lees

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Beautiful rifle. Congrats...

I find it interesting that you find the 870's recoil less tolerable than the 3030. It has been decades since I have shot a 3030. To me, a 12 guage feels like a hard push and the 3030's punch resembling what it must feel like to be kicked in the shoulder by a mule. Maybe I need to revisit this caliber.

Maybe it was a 30 06 that you shot?

The shotgun I have is a 20 gauge and also has a special stock, so the recoil is less than a traditional 12 gauge. The shoulder recoil on it is fine for me (it feels equivalent to the 30 30, though I haven't shot them side by side, I didn't notice any difference or even shoulder discomfort while shooting either of them, and I get a little bit of bruising and soreness later on with both), but there's a lot of upward force with the shotgun and I have to really focus on keeping the barrel down at the "blam." It's just flat out tiring to the point of muscle failure for me. With the 30 30 I was tired but nowhere close to muscle failure when I stopped, and even that was just from the holding it up, not trying to keep the barrel from traveling up when firing.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Very, very nice rifle!

Now it's time to get some very nice sights for it. Check out Skinner Sights ... 1895 Sight ... when you do your part, these sights will help you draw out all the accuracy that this fine rifle is capable of providing ... plus they can be finished in shiny silver or gold!

If you haven't already done so, you might also consider removing that tag, or change your screen name to Minnie Pearl?

Lees

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    I think some new sights are probably in our future, thanks for the link. I think I'll wait a while before I add the rest of the stuff to it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom