• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • geezer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2016
    NE Indiana
    I spent about four hours inletting the barrel of my Savage Model 10P into my Boyd's Pro varmint stock. The stock came inletted for a .750 barrel. The barrel on the 10P was .900 at the stocks foreend.

I got two dowels, a 3/4" and a 1" and used 80 grit garnet sheets (sandpaper would not bend around the dowels.) . Patience got the barrel groove opened up. I then ordered a double ended scraper from Brownells and did the final detailing. Now a dollar bill will slide freely under the barrel all the way to the receiver. Not professional gunsmithing but got the job done. All for about 20 bucks including elbow grease.

I would hope that this will give me some sub minute 5 shot groups at 100 yards using .308 Federal 168 gr match boattail ammo. Next stop FWRR range.

As an aside, I looked up the approximate trajectory of this load. Sighted in for 100 yards, bullet drop is 4.3 inches at 200 and 15.3 inches at 300 yards. Undoubtedly more with my 16 inch barrel. Not even close to my old load in 7MM mag, 140 grainers at 3200fps.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    That was a tedious job. Glad it all worked out. I made a jig to guide everything and used a router to get it close and sanded the rest of the way. Takes a lot of patience to get it right.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I spent about four hours inletting the barrel of my Savage Model 10P into my Boyd's Pro varmint stock. The stock came inletted for a .750 barrel. The barrel on the 10P was .900 at the stocks foreend.

I got two dowels, a 3/4" and a 1" and used 80 grit garnet sheets (sandpaper would not bend around the dowels.) . Patience got the barrel groove opened up. I then ordered a double ended scraper from Brownells and did the final detailing. Now a dollar bill will slide freely under the barrel all the way to the receiver. Not professional gunsmithing but got the job done. All for about 20 bucks including elbow grease.

I would hope that this will give me some sub minute 5 shot groups at 100 yards using .308 Federal 168 gr match boattail ammo. Next stop FWRR range.

As an aside, I looked up the approximate trajectory of this load. Sighted in for 100 yards, bullet drop is 4.3 inches at 200 and 15.3 inches at 300 yards. Undoubtedly more with my 16 inch barrel. Not even close to my old load in 7MM mag, 140 grainers at 3200fps.

Did the same thing to my Savage 10FP in .223
    But I used the original stock. Filled in the factory checkering, reinforced the fore arm, opened it up to free float, and beded the stock

Top Bottom