• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbop

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Winamac
    I recently got my first 1911 and of course, needed a holster for it. I wanted a paddle holster and picked out this one, the Gould & Goodrich B807.

This is not my everyday carry and since I have not had a safety to deal with for a few years, I have only been carrying this on weekends, around the house until I get use to it. One thing I noticed the first weekend was that it seemed that I kept finding the safety disengaged. I figured it was me and so, for safety sake, carried it without a round chambered until I could figure out how I kept leaving the safety off. Well, it turns out, it is not me.

This is a thumb break holster and the 'button' for the thumb break snap contacts the safety and clicks it off. My gun has a standard government safety lever so this is not good for a gun designed to be carried cocked & locked. I have tried stretching the strap and loosening the leather a bit but do not think it will help since the snap is going to be in the same place regardless of how tight the strap is across the back of the gun.

Finally, today, I sent them an email asking if they had run into this or have a solution and their response was that they have redesigned their 1911 holsters to be carried with the hammer down and asked for me to check that the snap does not contact the safety if the hammer is down. It doesn't matter if it does or not since the safety cannot be engaged if the hammer is down so it isn't going to move anyway.

Why would a holster maker redesign a 1911 holster to be carried hammer down? Not only was it designed to be carried cocked & locked, they would be forcing their customer to not use one of the safeties designed into the gun. Not only does this seemed stupid, I would imagine it would open them up to liability if your holster forces you to disregard one of the safeties on the gun.:dunno:

I guess this one will go into the box of unused holsters and I will have to find another one that is designed around the gun rather than the other way around but wanted others to be aware so they do not make the same mistake I did.

Top Bottom