• ...and so much more!
  • 2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Bomb Shelters - Reviews of Bomb Fallout Shelters - Popular Mechanics

More specifically , read the last sentence .

The CAT25, Radius' most popular model, can house up to 25 shelterists for as long as five months. The $320,000 CAT25 comes equipped with filtration systems built to handle nuclear, biological and chemical events, and has about 8 feet of head room. McCarthy says the CAT25 is selling like hot cakes in California, and adds that unnameable government entities are snapping them up as well. "The government is buying up all the shelters," McCarthy says. "We can't make enough."

Missiles flying off our left coast and things are all good huh , my fat @$$ !

WTF are they getting ready for ?

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    these are shelters? i mean the insides of them look cool and all but it really just looks like draingage tile. i could bury one of these myself and save me a good chunk on cash lol

Last edited:

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    Has anyone thought about burying a cargo container as a fall back sheter? I know you can find them cheap less than 1k$ for a small one and 2500$ for a large one.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Has anyone thought about burying a cargo container as a fall back sheter? I know you can find them cheap less than 1k$ for a small one and 2500$ for a large one.

I have seen two of the Large ones used as the basis for a deer camp.tHEY WERE NOT IN GROUND. Believe it or not it worked very well. They connected the two of them with a door between for sleeping area. These had a roof like a pole barn/carport over it a generator, microwave, table for eating/cards and heat/stove propane fridge and low voltage lights. Also had a hdtv mounted in the living area a real plus for sunday night colts game. It was much better setup than I figured when i was told where we were staying. . They are working on another door setup as they were still useing the big ones on the end with a lever to get out from the inside. One of the better deer camps for late season deer I have been to.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield

Not a terrible idea at all.

When we buy our new house, I am definitely putting some kind of shelter in place.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton

This is exactly what my plans have been for a shelter for a while now. I plan on welding in some steel beems across the top (on inside) for weight support, then burying them. It's not that expensive to rhino-line the outside to help protect against rust so I'm considering that as well. Ideally would like to have a couple big ones inter-connected for living, and a smaller one attached for generator/tools/storage/etc. Hidden access to said containers is still in the planning phase. I've already got a (trusted) contact to do the earth work when I'm ready, now I've just got to get some land suitable for said project.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I'm more worried about sheltering myself my the 2 legged threats than anything that might fall from the sky.

It's a bunker. Good for protecting what's inside from all kinds of stuff outside.

Living underground is also very useful if the weather gets weird.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I had my father dig out an area on his property up north. I can back my trailer in and push the dirt back around and over it with his dozer in short order. If I have time I can even put a barrier around the bottom of the trailer and use the space under it for storage. I did all this when I still had an APU on my truck and intended to use the APU and 300 gallons of diesel in my tanks for power....This plan has been scrapped for various reasons, but would have worked well at the time....

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I have seen two of the Large ones used as the basis for a deer camp.tHEY WERE NOT IN GROUND. Believe it or not it worked very well. They connected the two of them with a door between for sleeping area. These had a roof like a pole barn/carport over it a generator, microwave, table for eating/cards and heat/stove propane fridge and low voltage lights. Also had a hdtv mounted in the living area a real plus for sunday night colts game. It was much better setup than I figured when i was told where we were staying. . They are working on another door setup as they were still useing the big ones on the end with a lever to get out from the inside. One of the better deer camps for late season deer I have been to.
    A good friend of mine told me about one he saw in Iraq while he was deployed. It got me to thinking about burying one and a multi container setup is ideal for me also!

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    Not a terrible idea at all.
    Thanks but its not an original:):

When we buy our new house, I am definitely putting some kind of shelter in place.
    :yesway:

This is exactly what my plans have been for a shelter for a while now. I plan on welding in some steel beems across the top (on inside) for weight support, then burying them. It's not that expensive to rhino-line the outside to help protect against rust so I'm considering that as well. Ideally would like to have a couple big ones inter-connected for living, and a smaller one attached for generator/tools/storage/etc. Hidden access to said containers is still in the planning phase. I've already got a (trusted) contact to do the earth work when I'm ready, now I've just got to get some land suitable for said project.

My plan for the enterance is a mini barn! The rhino line is also a consideration of mine. I was thinking an actual cargo ship container and not a semi trailer. The roof on a cargo ship container is much strudier than a semi trailer IMO. Welding the doors shut and cutting hatches with a torch and trying to locate a manhole cover is also on my radar
    i went thru this in the fifties not sure how to feel about these

If there is a down fall please let me know. I have considered ground water entering and properly sealing up the container. Would you consider concrete block walls and ibeam and slab ceiling to be better? I am just looking for a cheap soulution to the prospects of underground life...

Not China silly! The course our self destructive government is on, is going to lead to a major change in the way we live our life. I have lived my life knowing all politicans are corrupt. Be it the right wingers or the left wingers, politicans have bankrupted this country. I will not pick sides because both sides are to blame. The only solution left is to prepare for whats coming! :ar15:

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    :yesway:

My plan for the enterance is a mini barn! The rhino line is also a consideration of mine. I was thinking an actual cargo ship container and not a semi trailer. The roof on a cargo ship container is much strudier than a semi trailer IMO. Welding the doors shut and cutting hatches with a torch and trying to locate a manhole cover is also on my radar

If there is a down fall please let me know. I have considered ground water entering and properly sealing up the container. Would you consider concrete block walls and ibeam and slab ceiling to be better? I am just looking for a cheap soulution to the prospects of underground life...

Guess I left that somewhat vague, my plans were for the shipping containers as well, I couldn't imagine trying to use semi trailers for underground. Theres virtually no weight support in the sides/ceiling of a typical box style semi trailer, the sea containers are the only way to go. I like the access thru a minibarn, but I was thinking of finding a way to access thru the basement of the house, then have another emergency entry/exit of some sort (the mini barn idea would be great for this). As for the water entering issue, since I work in the concrete industry and have discounts, I had considered pouring a foot thick encasement around the entire structure, thus helping to seal against water. Concrete wouldn't seal 100%, but with the additional rhino lining it'd be pretty close. Doing it this way would mean pretty much all utilities (H2O, electric, ventilation, air/fuel lines for gen) would have to be in place prior to concrete, which wouldn't allow much room for redesigns in progress (which I don't really like).

Last edited:

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    You can also pour gravel in the hole and sump it before you put the container down. That will keep it from flooding. Just keep the batteris for the sump pump charged and you're good to go.

Either that, or bury it on the high ground.

kirkorner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Clay City, IN
    Chase515, your idea is great. I have been thinking about doing something like that for years. Maybe not quite as entailed as what arktwo is, but a few cargo containers linked together would do wonders. A little advice though from an engineer's stand point. Rhino lining works great I'm sure but to me there is no hard evidence to how good that would work. I know it works great in a pickup, but how well would it work in a pickup that is buried underground for 50 years?? There was something I learned about in school when i talked to some professors about the idea I had of doing this. I can't be real specific because I can't remember everything about it. It had something to do with attaching an Anode to a Cathode, maybe it was electrolysis, I can't remember. Another idea I had when I was thinking about this was an elevator. Space is limited in one cargo container so why waste it? I was gonna use a 1/2 - 1 ton winch and get along that way. They are much easier to make than one would think.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    You're thinking of cathodic or galvanic corrosion protection.

This can be done through panit, plating, or simply attaching a chunk of zinc, aluminum, or magnesium to your steel.

You can also hook a battery up to your metal and charge it in such a manner that it will not corrode.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom