0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Holy crap. I am paying for a man to be incarcerated for 20-50 years for owning 3 grams of blow? In Ohio it is up to 1 year. That's interesting to me as I thought the sentences would be much closer. Seems like sentencing guidelines are rather arbitrary.

thej27

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    It's about time. Drug crimes have just become an easy win for some prosecutors and law enforcement. No matter what the drug is or the amount seized or the history of the suspect the prosecutors will say "Hey could you imagine all the horrible things he/she could have done while high." Thus making it look like they took a dangerous person off the street instead of really just a neighbor down the road.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I agree with it. It's a solid proposal all-around.

And potentially the kick that gets the ball rolling for others to do the same. Maybe even enough that the criminality of it changes a bit too. Maybe. Then again, logic and common sense have never played a role in these kinds of things either.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    Yes it is about time. Glad this is going somewhere. Non-Violent drug offenders need rehab not prison where they learn to become violent drug offenders.

everyone who agrees is getting rep, til i run out.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    smart man that mitch daniels is. the next best thing would be to decriminalize marijuana.

maybe they should start looking into making not paying child support unjailible too. or to make it fair start locking up ho's that spread their legs and get knocked up for the child support $$.

Also lets go after these welfare abusers more aggressively.

Im all for cutting cost!!

Keyser Soze

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    What sold me on this...The last 6 years to three months of any felons sentence will be spent in a rehabilitation program/strict monitoring program. Relapses are most common six months or less. I do hope there intention is to focus more resources on other offenses.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    As someone who doesn't do drugs but thinks weed should be legal, I would say that if you're in for ONLY POSSESSION and not distribution, you should just get out now (unless you have a "criminal past") If you're in for distribution of weed, you should get out now. If you're in for distribution/mfg review the cases and make a determination based on priors.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    It will be difficult for this to get traction. The Prosecuting Attorneys are very much against the proposal. Arguing about "safety" when really its about their own political futures and platforms they ran on to get elected.

Daniels is commenting no further and unless he personally pushes these guys politically it seems doomed to failure or a very watered down version with little to no real impact.

I have been following it for months and it is now splintering into political factions with nobody wanting to step up and do the right thing. Everyone is CYA in their own little fiefdoms of influence without having skin in the game.

Great idea fiscally and socially but looking like it will be sabotaged from the inside out.

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    It will be difficult for this to get traction. The Prosecuting Attorneys are very much against the proposal. Arguing about "safety" when really its about their own political futures and platforms they ran on to get elected.

Daniels is commenting no further and unless he personally pushes these guys politically it seems doomed to failure or a very watered down version with little to no real impact.

I have been following it for months and it is now splintering into political factions with nobody wanting to step up and do the right thing. Everyone is CYA in their own little fiefdoms of influence without having skin in the game.

Great idea fiscally and socially but looking like it will be sabotaged from the inside out.

This is not surprising since Indiana's elected officials ares addicted to incarcerating people. Instead of doing the right thing and stopping this "Do drugs get prison for life" insanity we are finding more ways to put people in prison.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    This is just crazy talk. Why let out these vicious pot smokers out and make room to keep murderers, rapists and child molesters longer? Can you imagine the chaos caused by the increased sells of Doritos... Our society may collapse.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'll really have to see more detail on this before forming an opinion, the big number for me would be to know how many times prosecutors are convicting defendants on drug possesion charges as a part of another crime simply because the possesion charge is easy to prove.:dunno:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    How stupid can you get allowing this to happen? A drug dealer is committing a "soft crime"? These scum get kids, adults, etc. hooked on cocaine & meth and ruins the lives of those they get hooked, if not in essence killing them because they've overdosed on the stuff. Drug dealers are killers and murderers just as much as the other guys for "hard crimes"

Top Bottom