• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Thought I'd try an inflammatory title for a change!

Car Rear-View Cameras Could Be Required by 2014 - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

The feds are now requiring auto manufacturers to have rear-view cameras on ALL cars by 2014. This will add a few hundred bucks to already over-priced new cars. I am not convinced of their life-saving claims, as folks will still not look at the camera screen. Besides, it will be DECADES before a significant number of cars on the road have cameras.

Even with cameras, people will still be dumb enough to:
    - not check their mirrors before backing up
    - walk behind cars that are in reverse
    - let their kids play behind cars

Just another feel-good, knee-jerk law from an already over-reaching federal government.

</rant off>

Am I doing this right?

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    What a load of crap!!! I wish that our elected clowns would keep the ugly faces out of most of our business which was not specifically granted to them by the Constitution. They have their slimy fingers into everything. did you know that the Indiana legislature a few years back as the result of the wildfires that were burning all over the country during a draught passed a law that made it a high misdemeanor to toss a lit cigarette/cigar out of your vehicle and was punishable by a very large fine and a few months in jail? I can not quote you the chapter and verse for this law, but it does exist. I have seen people throwing cigars out of their cars right in plain view of law enforcement offices and nothing was ever done. It is never a good idea to toss something burning out your vehicle window as the possibility of causing a fire does exist. However, if they are going to pass a law, they should make sure that it can and will be enforced. Another dumb law is that a property owner can only perform a surface reconnaissance of his property for archaeological artifacts (arrowheads, axe heads and other indian left behinds). Anything more requires a permit from the IDNR, DHPA. Only those qualified to perform archaeological investigations are able to get such a permit. More property rights right down the drain!!

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Man, you gotta punch that up! Read some more of mrjarrel's or rambone's threads :D :D

A FEW kids are killed and some thousands injured because of parent stupidity. One, why are the kids horsing around the rear of the car? Two, why aren't the parents watching the kids? Another nanny government law because parents are retards (or libtards, if you will :D ).

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Man, you gotta punch that up! Read some more of mrjarrel's or rambone's threads :D :D

A FEW kids are killed and some thousands injured because of parent stupidity. One, why are the kids horsing around the rear of the car? Two, why aren't the parents watching the kids? Another nanny government law because parents are retards (or libtards, if you will :D ).
    Dude, there is NO WAY I can compete with those two!

Protecting us from ourselves seems to be the new government mandate. Personal responsibility is going extinct (or being suffocated).

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    We've got a camera on our grand cherokee and while it's nice when hooking up the boat or camper, we dont use it that much. It's much easier to use the mirrors than to look at the screen. I fint it hard to judge depth perception on the camera.

We've also got sensors on the rear bumper that detect anything behind the vehicle, there is a beeping that sounds when your within two feet of an object and the beeps get more frequant the closer you get. I find i use this feature much more than the camera.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Find out who makes the cameras and support systems and you will find the true source of the new law. Always follow the money.

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis

Car Rear-View Cameras Could Be Required by 2014 - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

The feds are now requiring auto manufacturers to have rear-view cameras on ALL cars by 2014. This will add a few hundred bucks to already over-priced new cars. I am not convinced of their life-saving claims, as folks will still not look at the camera screen. Besides, it will be DECADES before a significant number of cars on the road have cameras.

Even with cameras, people will still be dumb enough to:
    - not check their mirrors before backing up
    - walk behind cars that are in reverse
    - let their kids play behind cars

Just another feel-good, knee-jerk law from an already over-reaching federal government.

</rant off>

Am I doing this right?

I remember when---

we got third taillights,,,

we got mandatory insurance laws,,,

we got mandatory seatbelt laws,,,

all because they told us insurance premiums would go down...

that happened yet???

now,,,nobody remembers what driving was like when it was a free country...

they can already put in a lojack interlock on your car,,,and they will require gps monitoring... they got the backscatter trucks driving around searching your vehicle without a warrant...

freedoms gone...

all your privacy hinges on what some court called ---reasonable expectation of privacy--- well,,, thats all relative... if nobody expects privacy,,,then you dont get it...

its already done got real bad,,,but its going to get much worse...

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    They made the manufacturer put tire pressure monitors in each tire because people were too lazy to take care of their car. They mandated stability systems in cars to make it harder for people to defy laws of physics (which always win). They mandated emergency braking sensor, enough airbags to cause you more harm than a good three-point seatbelt by itself. There are so many federal mandates in cars (some that are good because the manufacturers wouldn't do the obvious without a mandate) that cars are overweight and too expensive.

And now with all the weight generating mandates, our government mandates higher fuel economy. All the best engines in the world couldn't do better than if you allowed cars to become lighter.

Responsibility and alertness of the driver will make cars safer than all these feel-good mandates.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

</rant off>

Am I doing this right?

Good delivery. Great potential you have.

dancing-with-the-stars-judges.jpg

Coming from the Congress who brought us Obamacare, gave the Federal Reserve even more power, paid people to turn in their affordable "clunkers" to be crushed, hosed the credit industry, spent a trillion dollars on special interests and earmarks, ramped up the power of practically any given federal agency....

.... it is clear that this is more of the same, control. Its another regulation that people can feel good about that would be better as an optional add-on package for a new vehicle. Mandating it for all cars will make the American auto industry even more overpriced, cars more unaffordable for struggling families, and all this will be happening when high inflation is going to be hurting the American consumer already.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    They made the manufacturer put tire pressure monitors in each tire because people were too lazy to take care of their car. They mandated stability systems in cars to make it harder for people to defy laws of physics (which always win). They mandated emergency braking sensor, enough airbags to cause you more harm than a good three-point seatbelt by itself. There are so many federal mandates in cars (some that are good because the manufacturers wouldn't do the obvious without a mandate) that cars are overweight and too expensive.

And now with all the weight generating mandates, our government mandates higher fuel economy. All the best engines in the world couldn't do better than if you allowed cars to become lighter.

Responsibility and alertness of the driver will make cars safer than all these feel-good mandates.

I love it when I have to replace pointless sensor that does absolutely nothing in terms of functionality of the vehicle, but government "emissions testing" requires that I replace it or I can't get license plates. $600 down the drain.

:noway:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I awaiting the day when helmets with head up displays are required for operating a vehicle.

Soon, it will be more to purchase a car than a private airplane...

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    I awaiting the day when helmets with head up displays are required for operating a vehicle.

Soon, it will be more to purchase a car than a private airplane...

Im waiting for the the integrated gps uplink with required trip plan input...

any deviation from the requested route will trigger the lojack interlock and cause you to be hit with a fine and reduction in license points...

the technology is already there...and the will is there to use it... iris check will be part of the gps uplink...verifying the driver...

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    This is what we will see when the media talks about it.
    behind.truck.500.jpg

They will say isn't a couple hundred bucks worth their safety you big meanie.

Yeah, that's all they showed on the news.

Did the driver check behind the truck before getting in?
    Where are the parents of that kid?
    Why is he playing in a parking lot?

Someone they interviewed said the dumbest thing, too:
    "You wouldn't drive a car that had a 12' blind spot in FRONT of it would you?"

Lady, I also don't drive 70 MPH in reverse.

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    Why don't they just require a sensor that will automatically stop the vehicle if an object is 6 inches from the rear bumper. Then we wont even have to look when backing and parents wont have to look after their kids. That way we can all have even less personal responsibilty.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    I love it when I have to replace pointless sensor that does absolutely nothing in terms of functionality of the vehicle, but government "emissions testing" requires that I replace it or I can't get license plates. $600 down the drain.

:noway:

Where do you have to do emissions testing?

Driving is a lost artform in this country. Why do you NEED a backup camera?

Top Bottom