• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Surely the slain officer would be alive if we had another law on the books.

What defines a "gang member" under this ambiguous law? Perhaps the only criteria is that you own a gun.

Governor Quinn Signs Legislation Targeting Illegal Firearm Possession by Gang Members - Illinois.gov

New Law to Honor Slain Chicago Police Officer

CHICAGO – December 3, 2009. Governor Pat Quinn today signed a bill into law that will require prison time for street gang members convicted of possessing a loaded gun in a public area. This new law strengthens the current law which rules that gang members in possession of a loaded gun can be sentenced to probation.

“Public safety and crime prevention are of paramount importance to the law-abiding people of Illinois,” said Governor Quinn. “This new law I’m signing puts gang members on notice: If they get caught carrying a loaded gun in public, they will go to prison.”

The law was drafted and introduced by Cook County State’s Attorney Anita Alvarez and is named in honor of Chicago Police Officer Alejandro “Alex” Valadez, who was shot and killed on June 1, 2009 when he was responding to a call of shots fired in Chicago’s Englewood community. Officer Valadez was struck down by shots fired from a passing vehicle occupied by three suspected gang members. One of the three men charged in his murder was on probation for aggravated unlawful use of a weapon at the time Officer Valadez was killed.

“This new law will be an extremely important tool for police and prosecutors in the battle against gang and gun violence in our communities,” said State’s Attorney Alvarez. “It is our honor to name this bill in the memory of Officer Valadez, who made the ultimate sacrifice in his service to the citizens of Chicago.”

House Bill 4124 amends the Criminal Code of 1961 and the Unified Code of Corrections to create the non-probationable, class two felony offense of “unlawful possession of a firearm by a street gang member.” The offense occurs when street gang members unlawfully possess a firearm and ammunition in the areas where gang violence is most likely to occur – the streets, sidewalks and alleys of Illinois’ urban areas. Conviction under the new law requires a prison sentence of three to ten years.

“This legislation is grounded in common sense and helps us take a significant step forward in the fight against gangs, guns and drugs. It sends a message to gang bangers that the people of Illinois are committed to stand up to their violent ways,” said Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley.

The bill was sponsored by Rep. Edward Acevedo (D-Chicago) and Sen. Antonio Munoz (D-Chicago) and is effective immediately.

The bill signing took place at the Chicago Police Department’s Seventh District Headquarters where Officer Valadez was based.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Yeah, those "gang bangers" aren't afraid of that pesky federal law that prohibits felons from possessing firearms. However, look out, they are going straight to 26 and California and get that state charge "stricken off leave".

This law is moronic. How moronic, Kirk? Well, I thought you'd never ask.

When asked how one defines a "gang member", Anita Alvarez, Cook County State's Attorney, and suuuupppprrrra genius, said it would be "kinda obvious" if the gang member was standing on a corner throwing gang signs. Great, now the Chicago PD will want cameras! This law has Void for Vagueness written all over it.

If I was the appellate attorney for the first defendant convicted under this moronic law, that quote would be my first footnote.:D

Last edited:

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Too bad this law wasn't in place before the officer got shot.

You would have thought there would be some law on the books they could use to prosecute the guy for killing a cop. It makes me mad they let him go scot-free, for lack of a law they could prosecute him with.

Good thing they got that loophole closed!

bartonmd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Mooresville/Camby
    My spidey sense starts tingling every time I hear a politician say the words "common sense"... Seems any time they say "common sense," they're doing something that flies directly in the face of common sense. LIke "common sense" gun control, or that new pro-obamacare commercial that says "common sense" about 3/4 of the way though... Every time.

Mike

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Crap. Did you know that in Indiana... anytime you walk around town with more than 7 people you are considered a gang? Imagine if this were an Indiana law... :n00b: I guess the OC Walk would have been illegal and I would have been arrested at both Tea Parties... :dunno:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    This is kinda like "Double-Secret Probation" isn't it????

O.k., this whole thing has me confused; a felon(cannot legally own a handgun), shoots and kills a cop (murder, possible hate-crime) but they need ANOTHER law to prevent this from happening again in the future??????:wtf:

Is there not ONE, SINGLE politician in this country or perhaps even on this planet that understand that only law abiding citizens obey the law?? :dunno:

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    super-illegal.jpg

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Notice they used the death of a Chicago cop as their reason for pushing this? What about the murders of 100's of disarmed Chicago citizens? Are they somehow less important? That place is some sort of anomaly and needs to be excised.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Crap. Did you know that in Indiana... anytime you walk around town with more than 7 people you are considered a gang? Imagine if this were an Indiana law... :n00b: I guess the OC Walk would have been illegal and I would have been arrested at both Tea Parties... :dunno:

I always thought those old gals that wear red hats and purple coats were pretty gangsta.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Wow. That makes ZERO sense.

Lets take something that's illegal and make it illegal. umm.. wha?

Sure it does. Think like a liberal. Hey, this is illegal. But if we make a NEW law making it MORE illegal, people will think we're actually DOING something.

See? Makes perfect sense. :D

I always thought those old gals that wear red hats and purple coats were pretty gangsta.

gangster.jpg

Scarface.gif

BUCK HINKLE

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    greenfield
    This seems to be one of the biggest waists of time and money that I have ever heard of. My God who the heck is running the state of IL .
    If I get caught with a loaded gun in IL I will go to jail, and I am not in a gang.. I am just from IN....

Top Bottom