• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    What are the main differences between the two?
    I've not seen the two side by side in person.

I recently bought a Ruger SP101 in .327Fed/mag, mainly because I wanted another revolver in the caliber, but also to do my part to help Ruger try to reach their 2 million gun challenge.
    I looked at some pictures in another thread showing the GP100 in .357mag with a 4" barrel and full lug in brushed stainless and wearing rosewood insert grips.
    It looks all but identical to my SP101 in .327.
    Is the frame size different?

I have to admit I didn't care for the feel of the factory grips on the 101. WAY too small for my hands.
    Ordered a set of Hogue mono grips and couldn't be happier.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I own both a GP and an SP. The GP is Ruger's medium 6 shot frame (similar to S&W's L frame). The SP is a smaller 5 shot frame (similar to a J frame S&W but much thicker and heavier construction. Neither of these are used by me for carry but if I had to choose one for that it would be the SP 101 in .38/.357. The GP 100 is a fairly large and heavy gun. Hogue grips make the SP 101 much easier to shoot in DA with any speed.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    A member on here that I know bought an SP101 in .357. He did the same thing: junked the grips and put a hogue monogrip on it. He loves it.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Thanks Drail.
    I didn't purchase the SP with the intent of carrying it, but I've found myself carrying it nonetheless.
    It's actually surprisingly easy to carry, especially with a 4" barrel.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Every day I oogle the Ruger GP100 Match Champion along side our S&W 686 SSR. Each day I alternate on which one I'm going to get.

I think the Ruger is prettier, but the trigger on the S&W is soooo much better.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Every day I oogle the Ruger GP100 Match Champion along side our S&W 686 SSR. Each day I alternate on which one I'm going to get.

I think the Ruger is prettier, but the trigger on the S&W is soooo much better.

Ruger is easy to slick up and get on par with the S&W. T755 did a quick polish of my GP100 WC and one of top S&W smiths around grudgingly admitted it was a really good trigger.

MikeOrtiz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    East Chicago
    I was thinking about getting the Sp101.

Great size to power ratio.

I held one one and it was not a fit for my hand. My fingers are too large around. My ring size is 12 - 13 depending on the ring.

the trigger guard cut into my right middle finger.

So Gp100 3 inch for me.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Have both SP and GP. Ruger triggers are easily improved with spring kits and some shooting. Also have an early S&W md 10 and personally shoot he GP much better. The action in the smith is ultra smooth but Ruger is never going to get out of time with hottest loads and very smooth even double action.

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Have both SP and GP. Ruger triggers are easily improved with spring kits and some shooting. Also have an early S&W md 10 and personally shoot he GP much better. The action in the smith is ultra smooth but Ruger is never going to get out of time with hottest loads.

My SP101 trigger continues to improve, and I didn't think it was a bad trigger to start with.
    When I brought it home I tore it down and cleaned it inside and out. I then slathered some Permatex engine assembly lube in the trigger group and started dry-firing while watching t.v.
    No time at all and there was a world of difference in the smoothness of the trigger.
    I love it.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Going to look into Houge grips for the 101. For a short barreled gun it is really accurate. Might be crazy but do like the Rugers revolvers best.

Top Bottom