• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    Have you looked at single action revolvers? I picked up my first a couple months ago. It's a Ruger Vaquero in 44mag with a birdshead grip and I absolutely love it..it serves no carry purpose, and ammo is expensive but it's one of the most fun to shoot guns I own.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    I'd say one line of caution: When I go shopping for a gun and have a limit, by the time I'm done I've probably gone over that limit. You know, taxes, and the newer model and night sights and fancy wood and such. If I were paying and gave you a limit, I'd not be terribly upset but just a tad disappointed if you didn't factor all those things in and keep me within my budget.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I know you already have a CZ but I would consider selling my recently purchased CZC Custom Target Shadow. It has about 5 mags through it on one range trip. PM me if interested. It would be below your $1500 and you could have the custom made holster, mag carriers and extra mags.

But if I was in your position, I'd get a nice 1911!

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    You guys looking for a brother by a different mother because the gifts you guys give are worth considering changing families!

Ha, thanks. I will say that he's in a comfortable spot to be able to offer this. Moreso than the other siblings, and even our parents.
    I certainly count myself as blessed. He and I have both become "gun guys" in our mid-late 20s and it's now one of the ways we bond. We grew up shooting .22 rifles, but it wasn't a big part of our identity - mostly reserved for visiting the grandparents' ranch in MT and shooting gophers.
    No real hunting and no handguns to be found in our house in the 80's & 90's.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I know you already have a CZ but I would consider selling my recently purchased CZC Custom Target Shadow. It has about 5 mags through it on one range trip. PM me if interested. It would be below your $1500 and you could have the custom made holster, mag carriers and extra mags.

But if I was in your position, I'd get a nice 1911!

Thanks for your offer, I'll pass on the Target Shadow (though I'm drooling to shoot one of those)
    I think I'll go the 1911 route

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Really can't go wrong with the 1911. Good decision. The S&W in .45 wouldn't have been bad either...go buy one after you make some money from that new high falutin sheep skin!

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    1911s are always a solid choice!

I'd almost go with something a bit under budget so you could have something custom done to it, like having your graduation date engraved or something along those lines. Just a unique touch to make it yours and just that bit more special.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    If someone offered to buy me a pistol in that price range, I would get a Nighthawk. "BHP all slicked up"

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    If someone offered to buy me a pistol in that price range, I would get a Nighthawk. "BHP all slicked up"

brownings-sideb.jpg

Only problem with that suggestion, is they retail at $3195.00!!!! Oops...

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    WuGw07Lh.jpg

This is the treadwinner right here, Dan Wesson beats the socks off Smith and Wesson, Colt, Sig and Springfield Armory (may they go under quickly) nothing those manufacturers make in that price range can touch a Valor full stop end of story I have owned / shot pretty much all of them.

Now for ~$1500 you are in the stainless end of things as the black duty treat is an extra ~$250 (but worth is as it is tough as nails), my suggestion is the VBOB its small enough to carry but big enough to fight with. Kinda like a Glock 19 but better in every way.

gwingo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2015
    Indysub
    I'm a 357 man so I recommend the revolver. Since you're open to Ruger, they now have available a Redhawk in 357 with 8 round capacity. Good luck.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN

brownings-sideb.jpg

Only problem with that suggestion, is they retail at $3195.00!!!! Oops...

Now THESE gentlemen know class and style.

20161218_182848_zpstgxfp9ze.jpg

At this price point I would probably just get a standard HiPower, get a little work done on it to make it "mine" , and several mags and some ammo.

Last edited:

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    First, congratulations on your PhD. That's an achievement an entire order of magnitude beyond a MS program.

I recommend a 1911 .45 ACP if you've never owned one. Take your pick, which is just about (but not quite) everything available with the budget you have. My first handgun was a Ruger .357 magnum 45 years ago, which I no longer have, but if I were to get another revolver, it would be a 4" GP100. You've already got wheel guns though, and the classic semi-auto pistol that has withstood the test of time for over 100 years is the 1911, the longest handgun model in continuous service with the U.S. military, by many decades.

John

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    I highly recommend the Wiley Clapp series 1911s made by Colt. It has all the modern features that one would want in a 1911 at an excellent price point. Can be had for under $1100.

Plus, it's a Colt. All these other 1911s are fine and dandy, but to only have one, get a Colt.

https://grabagun.com/colt-wiley-clapp-gov-ser-70-45acp.html

Features include:
    Series 70
    Upswept beavertail
    Novak combat sights, brass bead front
    Enhanced frame (undercut trigger)
    25 lpi front strap checkering
    25 lpi mainspring housing
    Internal frame bevel at the mag opening for smoother mag changes.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I am going to go against the grain here and say a very nice Smith and Wesson K Frame 22 revolver.....Either vintage (maybe a birth year?) or a new 617...

Carry guns often change due to various factors but a classic .22 revolver is timeless, elegant, and never tiresome...

IMHO....

Vintage....

100_0817.jpg

New...

Smith%20Wesson%20617%20K-22%20Masterpiece%2022%20LR%20(160584)%20003.JPG

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I am going to go against the grain here and say a very nice Smith and Wesson K Frame 22 revolver.....Either vintage (maybe a birth year?) or a new 617...Carry guns often change due to various reasons but a classic .22 revolver is timeless, elegant, and never tiresome...

IMHO....

I love my 617. I have an older one(6-shot) but that is one I would not sell. It is so much fun to shoot and the most accurate .22 I have ever come across.

Top Bottom