• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    I admit I'm a bit of a grammar nazi. I don't take it to the extreme, but there are certain words that drive me nuts. I blame social media and the fact that the dumbest members of society are also the most vocal. Here's a list in no particular order:

1. Affect / effect (Shooting without hearing protection can effect your hearing.)
    2. Seen / saw (I seen my neighbor at the Walmart's.)
    3. Brake / break (I changed the breaks on my car this weekend.)
    4. Then / than (I locked the door and turned off the lights than I went to bed.)
    5. Of / have (I would of cooked supper, but my wife beat me to it.)

Add to the list as necessary.
    I'm a bit of a grammar nazi myself, I have to admit, but for some funny reason #2 (Seen/saw, e.g., I seen a deer up yonder the other day) doesn't really bother me so much. Maybe its because I've been around lots of folks who speak that way, and they all know it ain't grammatically correct, they just do it anyways because that's how they grew up talking. For some reason it only gets under my skin when the bad grammar is the result of someone just flat out having no clue about the difference, like happens a lot with affect vs. effect.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    If you use it long enough Webster will just add it rather than try to correct the masses, that's the world we live in now. As the politicians have discovered, tell a lie long enough and it's accepted as the truth.
    "Welp" was added to the dictionary in 2018 and it's one that really annoys me. Whelp is the term for a female dog giving birth (no males don't give birth yet but I'm sure that will be accepted soon)

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I admit I'm a bit of a grammar nazi. I don't take it to the extreme, but there are certain words that drive me nuts. I blame social media and the fact that the dumbest members of society are also the most vocal. Here's a list in no particular order:

1. Affect / effect (Shooting without hearing protection can effect your hearing.)
    2. Seen / saw (I seen my neighbor at the Walmart's.)
    3. Brake / break (I changed the breaks on my car this weekend.)
    4. Then / than (I locked the door and turned off the lights than I went to bed.)
    5. Of / have (I would of cooked supper, but my wife beat me to it.)

Add to the list as necessary.
    So .... would you like the title corrected? :shady:

Top Bottom