• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I have not been around as much lately and it is partially because of the off-topic and grammer police comment in every thread. I don't have the time and do not care to read the thoughts about missing a comma or a period. It is useless to the forum to have 5,6,7, or 12 people point out the grammer or spelling errors. I do not like the errors either, but one person can direct the party to use grammer and puncuation, then the rest of us can get on topic. Having 3 pages of... "spelling helps" "use a comma" and the like; makes me have no desire to finish reading the thread even if I was interested by the opening post.

Can these extra comments be removed, so the threads are shorted and easier to read while staying on topic?

I was not sure where to put my concerns, so feel free to move this if needed.

Thanks
    :+1: I agree 100% this is an internet forum, not an english class. I don't think it use to be a problem as much, but it is now and I post much less because of it.
    I think more than anything it is people who don't care for your opinion and so they use this "fat kid" tactic to get Attn.
    As long as I can understand the OP I am good, but IMO INGO has let the grammar attacks go on way to long!
    Since we are on the topic heres a long awaited :moon:to our grammar police!:noway:

hardtrailz400

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Batesvegas
    I started this thread, because it did not belong in the other one. I removed my comments there and created this for people to share their thought on this topic.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I started this thread, because it did not belong in the other one. I removed my comments there and created this for people to share their thought on this topic.

Thank you.

Guys, let's stop with the callbacks to the other thread, mmkay? Anybody have anything else to say about grammar/punctuation/spelling (or lack thereof) on INGO? :dunno:

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    ...Anybody have anything else to say about grammar/punctuation/spelling (or lack thereof) on INGO? :dunno:

... our other postwhore thread got deleted and cost a lot of us lots of posts that we had to spend hours and hours posting more dribble on INGO...
    The word is drivel
    Random House Dictionary said:
    driv·el

 /ˈdrɪv
    thinsp.png
    əl/ Show Spelled [driv-uh
    thinsp.png
    l] Show IPA noun, verb,-eled, -el·ing or (especially British
    thinsp.png
    ) -elled, -el·ling.
    –noun1.saliva flowing from the mouth, or mucus from the nose; slaver.

2.childish, silly, or meaningless talk or thinking; nonsense; twaddle.

i have nothing to ad to this discusion
    Perhaps you also have nothing to add?

/grammar police

How's THATfor back on topic?:thumbsup:

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    I utilize a spelling check program that places a red wavy line under misspelled words, though it certainly doesn't catch everything, depending upon the use ( IE: the words lose and loose, there and their, etc).

I, however, find it difficult to cite particular grammar issues by those that don't critically write everyday, as the common language usages of the mass media that utilizes poor grammar themselves, dramatically influence everyday usage. Such phrases as "Whether or not...", "Where you at?", and "What did you do that for?" are commonplace. Even the more modern great literature writers, such as Jack London and Ernest Hemingway, with their drastic opposite styles of sentence structure, rarely followed the correct and accepted rules of writing.

My suggestion to everyone, that includes myself, is to place more thought into one's writing, before posting it. Think critically of what you want to state. The Sean Connery film, "Finding Forrester" is a good first start to helping, if one wishes to truly improve their writing.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    I have had more fun and laughs reading this thread than I have all week long...thanks INGO!!

In regards to the grammar, I do agree that it can make posts difficult to read, and people should take the extra time/pride in their writing....but INGO members can be a little repetitive at pointing out mistakes. The first few are usually pretty funny and have a scarcastic tone, but by the 10th rendition it is old and pointless.

IBTL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    No, I absolutely DO want each and every thread to be perfect... as it should be.

If you were born here and speak English as your native tongue, you should have mastered it. If you have not done so, the impetus is not on me to try to discern what you meant to say - the onus is on you to make yourself readily understood. If you fail in expressing yourself to me, do not blame me for your inability to invoke my understanding. Failing some serious, actual learning disability, everyone on this forum should have PERFECT grammar - it is the native and mother tongue for almost all of us, so if you're not using English properly, you're simply lazy, and who cares if you're understood? You have all the right in this world to blather on, but until you choose diction and punctuation enough to be understood, I have the right to sit here and wonder what the hell you meant by a misspelt or incomplete phrase... and please don't be upset if I don't ponder over it too terribly long. As does almost everyone else here, I have a lot to do - so, if you really want to ensure a smooth, flowing, non-interrupted thread, take an extra five seconds and take the time to make certain that others will understand what you write. Proper grammar shouldn't be the exception: it should be the rule. The fact that it apparently is not the de-facto standard makes me want to facepalm so much that I may as well super-glue my hand to my forehead... and the fact that OP wants leniency for not having mastered his native tongue... that does too.

Proper grammar is not optional unless you truly do lack mental faculty. If you're intelligent and you don't use proper English, you're lazy and I would like little more than to beat you with a stick.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    "INGO" doesn't necessarily enjoy it, but 10 individual members might... :):

Seriously, though. Many times, folks compose responses to a given post simultaneously, or post their reply without bothering to read the ones that have come before. Welcome to the internet! ;)

Though I am an editor by trade and grammar/spelling/punctuation errors make my skin crawl, I tend to let them slide on here unless they make the post indecipherable or significantly change it's intended meaning.

Just pointing that out.

ITS= More then one IT
    IT's=Possessive
    IT's=It Is

You really have to love the English language.

:ingo::D

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    No, I absolutely DO want each and every thread to be perfect... as it should be.

If you were born here and speak English as your native tongue, you should have mastered it. If you have not done so, the impetus is not on me to try to discern what you meant to say - the onus is on you to make yourself readily understood. If you fail in expressing yourself to me, do not blame me for your inability to invoke my understanding. Failing some serious, actual learning disability, everyone on this forum should have PERFECT grammar - it is the native and mother tongue for almost all of us, so if you're not using English properly, you're simply lazy, and who cares if you're understood? You have all the right in this world to blather on, but until you choose diction and punctuation enough to be understood, I have the right to sit here and wonder what the hell you meant by a misspelt or incomplete phrase... and please don't be upset if I don't ponder over it too terribly long. As does almost everyone else here, I have a lot to do - so, if you really want to ensure a smooth, flowing, non-interrupted thread, take an extra five seconds and take the time to make certain that others will understand what you write. Proper grammar shouldn't be the exception: it should be the rule. The fact that it apparently is not the de-facto standard makes me want to facepalm so much that I may as well super-glue my hand to my forehead... and the fact that OP wants leniency for not having mastered his native tongue... that does too.

Proper grammar is not optional unless you truly do lack mental faculty. If you're intelligent and you don't use proper English, you're lazy and I would like little more than to beat you with a stick.

whut chew talkin bout willis:dunno: u shure do yoose dem big werds like u gots sumphin portant ta say butt i caint undastood a wurd u sez..i apreciated iffin ud use werds we lernt in public edumaction....at a tird grad leval iffin ya pleese:n00b::laugh:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    whut chew talkin bout willis:dunno: u shure do yoose dem big werds like u gots sumphin portant ta say butt i caint undastood a wurd u sez..i apreciated iffin ud use werds we lernt in public edumaction....at a tird grad leval iffin ya pleese:n00b::laugh:

b211316360.png

FireFox just died on me. You were too much for it, man! :):

Top Bottom