• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Just looking at google maps. 80-94 in Indiana is named "Grand Army of the Republic Highway"... Seriously?

Is this some kind of google joke. If not, someone out there is quite clever.

Either that, or I'm missing something.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I guess I'm a bit too much of a Star Wars fan. The first thing I thought of was the Emperor proclaiming that he was going to create a "Grand Army of the Republic" to battle the seperatist systems.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The War of Northern Aggression, is how my wife's family in Mississippi refer to it.;)

Funny story....

I worked in collections and was skip tracing someone down in Raymond, Mississippi and had to call the courthouse there....I have a Union Civil War G-G-G Grandfather that joined up in New Albany and served in Grant's Army of the West with the Indiana 23rd (I think) and was shot in the leg at "The Battle of Raymond" which was a skirmish that preceded the siege at Vicksburg....He became a POW and was invalided back home to New Albany a couple of months later in a prisoner exchange...He ended up tending bar at a saloon in New Albany and remained active in the GAR until his death in the 1910's...

While talking to this gracious, helpful Southern gal I mentioned to her "My Great Grandaddy got shot in the leg in Raymond, MS".....She kind of gasped and said, "Oh Honey...I am so sorry...How did that happen?" I said he was wounded at the Battle of Raymond in a skirmish line and was sent back home to Indiana...

There was a long pause...Very long and then she said...And I will never forget it...

"Well Darlin'....Maybe your Grandpappy should have just stayed home in Indiana and he wouldn't of got shot..."

As Shelby Foote once said, "Southerners are kinda funny about that war..."

Just googled and found this....

Peter Weber, a native of Switzerland, was born in Berne, Feb. 17, 1833, and was a son of Peter and Annie (Weber) Weber, neither of whom are living. The maiden name of his wife, to whom he was married May 10, 1861, in Floyd Co., Ind., was Martha C. Van Alman; she was born in this Co., Sept. 10, 1843, of parents, Mr. and Mrs. Ulrick Van Alman, the former is still living, at the ripe old age of 91 years. They have had seven children, born as follows – Julius A., John P., Jacob P., Annie M., Peter C., William C. and Frederick. Comrade Weber was a farmer at the time of his enlistment when 28 years old; he was enrolled July 10, 1861, at New Albany, Ind., as a private in Co. A, 23d Ind. V.I., 17[SUP]th[/SUP] A.C. He took active part with his Regt., in the following engagements – Ft. Henry, Ft. Doneldson, Shiloh, Siege of Corinth, Bolivar, Lagrange, Holly Springs, Oxford, Grand Gulf, Thompson Hill, Raymond, Champion Hill and Jackson; after this continuous fighting, he was wounded at the latter conflict by gunshot through right leg, had his shoulder dislocated and sprained his ankle at the same battle; the same day he was taken prisoner, was sent to Libby prison a few days, was then paroled and sent to Annapolis about one month, then to Camp Chase for three weeks, Indianapolis, about two weeks and from there was given a sick furlough, reporting to New Albany hospital at end of time where he remained until honorably discharged November, 1863, on surgeon’s certificate. Comrade Weber is a member of Sanderson Post, 191, he is a stationary engineer at Louisville, Ky., and resides in New Albany, Ind.
    From the book, Presidents, Soldiers, Statesmen Vol. II
    H.H. Hardesty, Publisher
    N.Y., Toledo, Chicago

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Just looking at google maps. 80-94 in Indiana is named "Grand Army of the Republic Highway"... Seriously?

Is this some kind of google joke. If not, someone out there is quite clever.

Either that, or I'm missing something.

I remember seeing a highway sign with that name in/near Napoleon, OH. I thought it was just an Ohio highway name.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Grand Army of the Republic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) was a fraternal organization composed of veterans of the Union Army, US Navy, Marines and Revenue Cutter Service who served in the American Civil War. Founded in 1866 in Decatur, Illinois, it was dissolved in 1956 when its last member died. Linking men through their experience of the war, the GAR became among the first organized advocacy groups in American politics, supporting voting rights for black veterans, lobbying the US Congress to establish veterans' pensions, and supporting Republican political candidates. Its peak membership, at more than 490,000, was in 1890, a high point of Civil War commemorative ceremonies. It was succeeded by the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War (SUVCW), composed of male descendants of Union veterans.

maddawg138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    La Porte
    lincoln highway (State Road 2) runs right through the city of LaPorte (where I grew up and was raised) and the Grand Army of the Republic Highway (US 6) i literally live <100 ft off of it.

So seeing the signs that state each road i've seen for all my life and never thought much about. It's kinda cool once you look into the history and what not of each

Top Bottom