• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Full story: http://www.wzzm13.com/news/news_story.aspx?storyid=103065&catid=14

Posted By: Amy Fox
    bullet1.gif
    7 hrs ago
    GRAND RAPIDS (WZZM) - You've may have heard the studies saying breast milk is best for babies. But what if the mother can't breastfeed? Donors are now stepping in to help provide breast milk for premature infants.
    One Grand Rapids business is offering more options, making it easier for women to donate and thereby help other babies.
    Baby Beloved sends the donated milk to Bronson Hospital's "Mothers Milk Bank" in Kalamazoo. Bronson is one of only about ten milk banks in the country. The donor mothers have to go through a health screening. The milk is then processed and pasteurized before it is sent to hospitals to help babies like Sophia.

I have to say this is the first time I have ever heard of this? :yesway:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    So I'll be the voice of reason here. I know from personal experience that mother's milk can be the difference between life and death for some very sick or very pre-mature babies. It doesn't necessarily have to be from the baby's biological mother either. Milk-banks are a great idea and have been in full-swing at Riley for years. Some mothers who lose babies very early are sometimes eager to help others and they'll donate their milk to help. My daughter was almost in a position where she would have needed a supply from the milk bank but, thankfully, she didn't.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Some gee whiz information that you might be able to pass on sometime. Brewer's yeast helps increase a mother's milk supply...

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Guess no one here has ever read a book or history with a wet nurse in it. Here is a wiki to it.

Milk banks are just the modern version and have saved lives as well as increased health in countless others. Often the milk bank milk is used as a bridge to a time when the mother is ready to breastfeed herself (overcoming a problem of some kind or outlasting a medicine in her system).

As strange as this sounds, it is actually pretty old school with a modern twist.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    My daughter was born three weeks early, no problems, just early, and spent a week at Riley when she was a week old - appears to have gotten RSV. A kid in our neighborhood died the same week. We'll never know how close Allison came to dying, but another night at home would have done it for sure.

Any way, while she was getting her nourishment from an IV, my wife pumped and donated the milk to the NICU... most preemies can't digest anything but breast milk.

So have a good laugh - I'm right there with you ;) - but give thanks to the selfless people who donate.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    A lot of big hospitals have milk banks. I actually went to church with a lady for a while that donated. Her youngest was about 6. If you keep pumping it keeps coming.

Mrs. Hoppes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen
    I did mother to mother milk donation for almost a year. Milk banks are great, but the milk costs a fortune. One ounce of milk can run as much as $5.00.

I donated straight to another mother and under went the same screening as a mother who donates to a milk bank. I spent many hours nursing a baby on one side and pumping on the other.

For the perverted comments, I just chalk it up to immaturity at its best from people who either are too ignorant to bother educating or too blessed with healthy children to really understand the ramifications lack of breast milk has on an infant.

Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    As I have 3 children 2 BF'd and one not so much, I will say I can see a difference. A difference in Bonding and health.

That said what the formula companies do is Outrageous. The lengths they will go to, to get their product in front of consumers. They in my Opinion are EVIL! The US is one of the few countries where formula is considered "normal". In the majority of the world formula is something given to a very small portion of children with specific health needs where Breast milk is not either available or is not compatible.

While I can appreciate the humor posted, these banks also pasteurize the milk removing some of the live enzymes that are good for the child. In most cases "donated" milk to the banks is then charged at gouging prices. Also most hospitals do not have a supply, unless they have a milk bank.

Sorry but subject matter is another one of our "Causes"

A hospital in Bloomington has a healthy baby initiative and a formula maker side stepped their efforts by going to the OB's offices that were not on the hospital property to pedal their samples and bags, and literature that is often misleading and or dangerous.

Indiana Ima

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    My husband, techres, knows what gets me going. He linked me to this thread just as an FYI and now here I am, registered on the forum just so I can reply!!

To the gentlemen who are all excited about helping out, hey, a new mama wants to feel attractive to her hubby, nothing wrong with a little happiness.

To the mama who donated milk, brava. I've done that myself, though nothing like the dedication you are talking about. Techres and I had friends who were adopting, and I gave them a few bottles-full to help out.

Never heard that about brewer's yeast, but in the past I've had several friends ready to try damn near anything. Thanks for the information. I'll keep it in mind!

The only point left for me to make, I think, is this. Every baby deserves breastmilk: the purest food in the world, made jointly by mama, Gd and nature. What could be more incredible than that?

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Every baby deserves breastmilk: the purest food in the world, made jointly by mama, Gd and nature. What could be more incredible than that?

Having the money to do this:

"Wet nursing has sometimes been used with old or sick people who have trouble taking other nutrition. John Jacob Astor and John D. Rockefeller reportedly hired wet nurses for their own use in their old age.":fogey: :baby::fogey: :baby::fogey::baby:

:laugh: :lmfao::bowdown:

Last edited:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Never heard that about brewer's yeast, but in the past I've had several friends ready to try damn near anything. Thanks for the information. I'll keep it in mind!

My sister-in-law will tell you to take ONE and see what happens. She didn't listen, took four, and was in immense amounts of pain until she was finally able to let down enough to relieve the pressure...

Mrs. Hoppes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen
    Oatmeal
    Alfalfa
    Fenugreek
    Goats Rue
    Fennel
    Brewer's Yeast (as already mentioned)

Those are the more common galactalogues. (sp?)

Others:
    Rest
    Fluid
    Skin to skin contact. (Sleep topless and have the baby in bed with you in just a diaper.)
    Increased nursing

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital

This thread got started as a light hearted jest, I think, and of course with my admittedly twisted sense of humor, I just couldn't stop myself.

That isn't exactly the picture I was refering to, but never the less, an appreciated beautiful moment between a mother and infant.

I do understand the importance of mothers milk, as I too was a customer long long time ago!
    It can be a very serious issue for too many infants.

I hope no offense was taken by my previous post, none was intended.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    My husband, techres, knows what gets me going. He linked me to this thread just as an FYI and now here I am, registered on the forum just so I can reply!!

To the gentlemen who are all excited about helping out, hey, a new mama wants to feel attractive to her hubby, nothing wrong with a little happiness.

To the mama who donated milk, brava. I've done that myself, though nothing like the dedication you are talking about. Techres and I had friends who were adopting, and I gave them a few bottles-full to help out.

The only point left for me to make, I think, is this. Every baby deserves breastmilk: the purest food in the world, made jointly by mama, Gd and nature. What could be more incredible than that?

:welcome: IN Ima! :) Good to see you on the boards!

Blessings,
    B

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    For the perverted comments, I just chalk it up to immaturity at its best from people who either are too ignorant to bother educating or too blessed with healthy children to really understand the ramifications lack of breast milk has on an infant.

As I have 3 children 2 BF'd and one not so much, I will say I can see a difference. A difference in Bonding and health.

That said what the formula companies do is Outrageous. The lengths they will go to, to get their product in front of consumers. They in my Opinion are EVIL! The US is one of the few countries where formula is considered "normal". In the majority of the world formula is something given to a very small portion of children with specific health needs where Breast milk is not either available or is not compatible.

While I can appreciate the humor posted, these banks also pasteurize the milk removing some of the live enzymes that are good for the child. In most cases "donated" milk to the banks is then charged at gouging prices. Also most hospitals do not have a supply, unless they have a milk bank.

Sorry but subject matter is another one of our "Causes"

A hospital in Bloomington has a healthy baby initiative and a formula maker side stepped their efforts by going to the OB's offices that were not on the hospital property to pedal their samples and bags, and literature that is often misleading and or dangerous.
    The more I read about you two the more I like.

Top Bottom