Grand Rapids, MI -- anyone spent time there?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dan lenson

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Looks like I'll be moving to Grand Rapids next month. Had to make a snap decision on taking a job there.

Anyone familiar with the area, pro's & cons?

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    It's actually considered to be one of the rising star cities in the Midwest. I've been there, but not enough to really give you the lowdown. They are known for a Riverwalk area, and I can tell you that they are home to one helluva brewery called Founder's. I happen to be a big fan of Indy, but I don't think you'll be disappointed in the town, as long as the job is right.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I lived in Wyoming (a suburb) for a few years, drove Haz Mat truck during my years at college there, nice place, nice town, real close to the coast.

MarkR

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indianapolis - West Side
    Been there many times on business. It's a good sized town, the second largest city in Michigan (2nd to Detroit). It's the Conservative stronghold part of Michigan, home of Gerald Ford and the Gerald Ford Presidential Museum. It's also home to the founders of Amway, who also built the Amway Grand Hotel, a really nice, expensive hotel in the city. As someone mentioned, it's got a great riverfront, the Grand River, of which the "rapids" portion is downtown and gives the city it's name. They have a great fireworks display on the river every 4th of July.
    Nice restaurants, clubs, etc. A couple of really good country clubs if you are into golf. Not far from Lake Michigan, Traverse City, etc.
    The dowside - HORRIBLE winters. Can you say "Lake Effect"? Western Michigan gets hammered, brutal cold and lots of snow. But IMHO, one of the better parts of Michigan.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Not a bad place if you have to live in Michigan.
    The inlaws live a little south of Wyoming and like it.
    Nice parks. The Air Zoo in Kalamazoo is a neat attraction, as is the Bender Park Zoo (Battle Creek).
    Go up north and you can hunt with a real rifle (unlike Indiana). All sorts of outdoor rec opportunities; skiing, snowmobiling, fishing, boating, etc.
    IMO, Michigan is a step down from Indiana from a firearms perspective, but on the positive side you can get a CPL up there now.

You could do a lot worse.

Sweetums

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lake County
    I grew up in Holland & Grand Haven, MI. Still have family up there. I love Michigan. If I ever got the chance I would probably go back. I really, really miss the cooler summers, and the snow! I love snow. The upside is that they are a heck of a lot better at clearing the roads better then Central & Southern Indiana. You don't see the ice storms up there either...

buffalo-springfield40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    i live in Portage Michigan.....just south of Kalamazoo.....if ya have a job Michigan is a great place to live...been here about 6 yrs...if ya have kids its even better...dunes are cleaner then Indiana's and the water is clearer....Grand Rapids is a growing city..has a few problems like any other big city....you made a great choice...i love it here...good luck

dan lenson

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I hope you're DUTCH!!

Oh, but I'm Scottish!

Thanks for all the info guys, really. It's reassuring.

I'm from North Carolina -- Indiana is as far North as I'd ever thought of living. I need the stability so I took the job, sight unseen.

Only been to Michigan once, so... again, thanks for the help. :yesway:

Ski

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Indy
    My brother lives in Kentwood and we hit the range at Silver Bullet Firearms. I don't have much experience as far as ranges go but I was impressed by this place. (not crowded and nice people) Good luck.

Silver Bullet Firearms

Top Bottom