Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Don't take her to the gun store to see what she likes take her to the range and try some things live fire. Try a variety of calibers and a variety of gun.

NWIeng

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Hammond
    I'm going to go 100% against an Airweight. I'm a 20 something year old guy and I even hate the recoil compared to a light 9mm. I can't imagine an arthritic 70 something year old woman liking it. Plus, I'd equate pulling the trigger on an airweight as just as difficult with a single finger than racking the slide on a full size glock with a single hand.

If it's just for home, maybe a 4" revolver or a service size auto with a bunch of grip tape on the side?

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Ruger GP100 with a 4" barrel.

People who advise getting small lightweight guns for new shooters, or shooters with weak hands and arms, are doing a HUGE disservice to the new shooter.

:+1: That's what I was thinking. The weight of a heavier gun helps absorb the recoil instead of making the shooter absorb it in his or her hands.

I'm not real sure about what a good alternative model would be, but I'd steer clear of the various lightweight handguns.

Top Bottom