• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .40plinker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    This thing appears to be in excellent shape. The action is still butter smooth and the barrel seems to be in excellent shape. The only bad thing about it is the scope on it is pretty foggy.

My two questions are 1) Are there any upgrades I should do? 2) What optic would you guys mount on it?

I don't really plan on shooting beyond 500 yards with it so I was thinking in the neighborhood of 4.5x14x40. Any opinions on that?

One last thing: Does anyone know the legal status of black tip ammo?

.40plinker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Haha... I will try to get some pics uploaded at some point. I let a friend borrow my digital camera for an insurance claim and I haven't gotten it back yet.

I did find out that it is serial # 852,XXX so it was built very shortly after the double heat treated models first started coming out. It was made in either late 1918 or early 1919.

Last edited:

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    scope

hi, I would mount any scope that you can see well with... I have tried several scopes over the years and found several brands I just can't do well with.
    When you are mounting a scope it really just is personal preference, I think..
    Just about all scopes are made pretty good today. I would not trust a cheap scope on a big high dollar hunt, but for plinking that would be ok.

Also, on the scope that comes off of it, don't get rid of it.. check a few sites and see if that scope is a high dollar scope, you might be able to sell it to a collector and recoup most or all your money for a usable scope. OR if you like the scope that's on it, send it off and get it cleaned and checked out, most of the time it will be cheaper than a new one, and a lot of the older scopes are better than what's being made today.

As far as I know, the Black tip is just military surplus armor piercing, I think it is ok, and sold on quite a few collectors sites as well. if it is in original boxes or bandoliers it might have pretty good collector value as well. If you shoot it... Clean the rifle!! More than likely it is Corrosive primed!

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Take good care of it. I have a 1903a3 sporter and love it. Buy the best scope you can afford. I bought a Centerpoint because of price and a lot of guys say good things about it (for the price). Once I get a bigger budget ill be getting a Leupold or maybe even jump to a german model. Best of luck with it.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    look up a Simmons Whitetail Classic... SUPER clear glass and is around 140 bucks.... great value for the money if you are not going to be making continious adjustments...
    i just picked up one for my dads 1903 sporter and he loves it..
    midway WAS running a sale for 109$ on them... not sure if its still available for that price or not.
    post a pic?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Take good care of it. I have a 1903a3 sporter and love it. Buy the best scope you can afford. I bought a Centerpoint because of price and a lot of guys say good things about it (for the price). Once I get a bigger budget ill be getting a Leupold or maybe even jump to a german model. Best of luck with it.

whats your budget and what german model? if i were you i would look into nightforce or a USO.... well worth the amount of time you save for it.

.40plinker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    look up a Simmons Whitetail Classic... SUPER clear glass and is around 140 bucks.... great value for the money if you are not going to be making continious adjustments...
    midway WAS running a sale for 109$ on them... not sure if its still available for that price or not.
    post a pic?

Assuming this post was directed at me; I'm not going to spend over $400 for a scope. I simply won't be shooting this gun enough to justify that kind of money. Also, I won't be taking any insanely long shots with it except maybe if I go out west to hunt.

I will get a pic of it up hopefully either tomorrow or Tuesday.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    post a pic?

Assuming this post was directed at me; I'm not going to spend over $400 for a scope. I simply won't be shooting this gun enough to justify that kind of money. Also, I won't be taking any insanely long shots with it except maybe if I go out west to hunt.

I will get a pic of it up hopefully either tomorrow or Tuesday.

Yes it was directed at you.... thats why i quoted a 140 dollar scope NOT a 400 dollar one... for your applications i think the simmons whitetail classic fits the bill and for less than 150 at that.

Top Bottom