Grandpa wants a new revolver .38/357..Best option?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    Gramps is looking for a concealed hammer, and small enough for a pocket holster
    LCR and 642 are two off the top of my head, but wanted to check for other recommendations.
    New or used around $500
    Will be shooting .38's
    Thanks INGOERS

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Ideally, he could get a feel of both. Hard to do in these times though. I like Ruger's, but obviously S&W makes a great gun.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I have a 642 and as one reviewer stated , "Frankly, the trigger of any new Airweight is as stiff as a dead carp." It is easily the most difficult handgun to shoot well that I have ever owned. In fairness it was not designed as a target gun and for its intended purpose it will get the job done.

From the reviews I've read the Ruger LCR has a much better trigger but I have never fired one.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've had the SW 642 & the Ruger LCR: .38 special & .357 magnum & enjoyed both for different reasons.
    The 642 was a fine tool, but not fun at the range.
    I couldn't believe the delightful difference with the LCR.

I figured it was just sales talk about the accuracy, recoil & trigger.
    It wasn't.
    One of the best small revolvers I've had.
    I've had both the LCR .357 magnum & the .38 special.
    The .357 had the better trigger for whatever reason.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I have an old .38 S&W police issue that was passed down through the family. It's tough as nails and has a good trigger imo. If the current S&W's are anything like the old, id highly recommend.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    The LCR will advance the cylinder without firing if you short stroke the trigger, which is easy to do in the stress of a lethal force encounter. Unacceptable for a defensive firearm. Choose an SP101, a S&W or a Kimber K6s instead.

Here is Dave Spaulding with a promotional video for the LCR, and it happens to him as he is firing the LCR at about 2:00 in the video. And he's not even in a hurry. Of course, he doesn't mention it.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Gramps is looking for a concealed hammer, and small enough for a pocket holster
    LCR and 642 are two off the top of my head, but wanted to check for other recommendations.
    New or used around $500
    Will be shooting .38's
    Thanks INGOERS
    I have an LCR in .357 and have probably had 6 or 7 J-frames over the years. As much as I love my Smiths, the LCR is the one I carry the most. It's also just a bit easier to shoot than the Smiths.

Some of us in the NW did a real-life comparison of several smaller wheelguns here. https://www.indianagunowners.com/threads/the-2014-great-snubbie-shoot-off.333690/#post-4802341 I had only been shooting for a couple of months, so my impressions were not as 'seasoned' as the other guys.

Last edited:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I see a lot of recommendations for the Ruger LCR, the S&W 642, etc...and I've even tried a few of those.
    But one day, I discovered the S&W 360 series...and it's quickly become my favorite for light-duty / small-pocket carry!
    The .38 special version is on a Scandium J-Frame and weighs-in at just 13.9oz. empty.
    The .357 magnum version is also on a Scandium J-Frame but weighs in at 15.9oz. due to the heavier, unfluted cylinder.
    Both calibers have a pinned-in front sight, which I replace with an XS Sights Tritium (green) front sight - standard dot!
    The S&W J-frame has dozens of grip options, making it sizable to a variety of different grip sizes, and comfortable too!
    The .38 special is often my 'throw-in-the-pocket' revolver when I make a quick run out to the store...in a nylon pocket holster.
    The .357 magnum version rides in a OWB open top holster, where it sits-n-rides quite nicely for a lightweight revolver!
    They're not concealed-hammer revolvers, but the hammers can be bobbed and not have the thumb-bump sticking out.
    Best of luck with Gramps!

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    They're not concealed-hammer revolvers, but the hammers can be bobbed and not have the thumb-bump sticking out.

Or just buy a 340. The 340 is basically the 360 without the hammer. I am a big fan of my 360J in .38+P...it's my working-out and dress-clothes gun. It's lightweight, accurate, and disappears in a pocket. Personally, I like the exposed hammer, but if the OP is looking for hammerless, the 340 is the way to go.

Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    This for me for sure! Although I would be and have been perfectly happy with both. But again...these days finding any quality name brand compact revolver be it S&W or Ruger will likely be one of those, "I can't pass up this deal!" kind of finds. Ether one has positives/negatives for sure depending on who is behind the trigger.

SgtFury

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Memphis
    Those are all good choices...but selection available will control what he chooses from these days more than likely. I have a .38 charter arms 5 shot. Replaced grip with 1 a little nicer..carries great, shoots great. I love it.

Top Bottom