• ...and so much more!
  • jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    A few months ago my Uncle Bud passed away. He left me my grandfather's 1943 Ithaca model 37. My Grandfather and his friends did a lot of deer hunting in Minnesota to feed the family, they were not well off financially. I never got to form a relationship with him as he died when I was 4 years old. Anyway, when I got it, it looked like it had been in a closet in Florida for 60 years (because it had). It was covered with rust, looked like it had never been cleaned and had a few broken parts. I tore it apart and cleaned it thoroughly, replaced the broken parts and lubed it. Then I removed all the rust with Scotchbrite and reblued it. I'd like to think that he'd be happy that I rescued it.

Here it is:

View attachment 29740

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    IF your blue-job doesn't stand up... (for whatever reason)

You can ship it back to Ithaca and they'll re-blue it...for a price

Good job on the restoration! Fun doing that kind of thing, isn't it?

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    Nice job how hard was it to reblue it ive got a couple old rifles with similar stories I have thought about doing
    It didn't take nearly as much time as I thought. Remove all the rust with scotchbrite, remove all oil and grease with brake cleaner, then just rub on the Oxpho Blue over and over again until it looks good to you. Buff it with #0000 steel wool and rub on some oil and you're good to go. I actually enjoy doing things like this.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Awesome! I have my wife's Grandfather's Ithical 37 16ga that my father in law restored just before he died. It will go to my boy. I know the feeling of attachment you have! Great job and Grandpa would be proud!

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Very nice indeed! Well done restoration at home, your obviously careful work paid a good dividend here. Yes, Grandad would be pleased for sure! I would be happy to think my grandsons would someday value their heirlooms as much as you do.

d30carls

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Cicero, IN
    It didn't take nearly as much time as I thought. Remove all the rust with scotchbrite, remove all oil and grease with brake cleaner, then just rub on the Oxpho Blue over and over again until it looks good to you. Buff it with #0000 steel wool and rub on some oil and you're good to go. I actually enjoy doing things like this.

Thanks I may have to try it

UncleNorby

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    Near South Bend, IN
    Nice job on the 37. We have one from the 70's that's not as cool as that one.

There's a guy (DIY_guy or somethign like that) on the Gunsmithing forums at Huntingnet.com that has a bunch of DIY restoration threads. Anyon who is interested in doing such a project should chech them out before proceeding. A TON of good info there.

Top Bottom