• ...and so much more!
  • Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Serious question Slim, for a man that teaches and trains youth firearm safety classes.
    Why would you suggest buying a firearm that is oversize for anyone? especially a child?
    If a Henry is too big, they are probably too young. It's not a big gun. Light too. And they grow fast.
    Add: I want them to have a rifle for life, not just a year and never shoot again. It's from Grandpa. I want them to have something useful.
    I still shoot my first gun. I wouldn't if it was a Cricket.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I want to get a .22 for my grandson to learn to shoot with down the road when he's old enough.
    This was what I was responding to with my post. "Learn to shoot with" type of rifle

So, I already plan to get something like a cricket that I plan to keep for any other grandkids that may come along. But, my plan is if the good Lord blesses me in such a way I will tuck something away for each of them as they come.
    So I probably should have clarified what I meant by first gun. It will be the first gun that will hopefully be wrapped and under a tree some future Christmas.
    Now the OP mentions down the line he wants to get something like the rascal for the initial learning process, but also an heirloom, to which yes, a Henry would be a fine heirloom for sure!

Kudos to you for wanting to set them up in the future. In the end, that's what matters

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I'm all for the Henry (the regular carbine, not the Golden Boy. Because it's shorter and lighter). It's not that heavy, and levers are just plain fun for a kid (and adults!). My younger sons shoot my 39A sometimes, but they prefer my oldest son's Henry because it's smaller and lighter. The 39a is undoubtedly a nicer gun, but the kids don't know the difference...they just want something that they can use easily.

If you want to go bolt action, the CZ457 Scout is a really nice rifle, and well-sized for kids. The Ruger American Rimfire Compact is a decent choice, too. Both are short and light. The Ruger has replaceable stock inserts to provide a longer LOP as he grows, or a cheek riser if he wants to mount a scope. The 10/22 magazine design is also fantastic and better than the CZ mags.

The 457 is a slightly nicer rifle, and I fixed the LOP by adding a recoil pad (you could also mount the action into a full-size stock if you can find one). I have a scope on the CZ and Tech Sights on the Ruger, and both are threaded for the supressor. My boys prefer the CZ. Personally, I'd rather buy something that can grow with them and provide years of service than something like the Cricket that's going to be cast aside quickly as they outgrow it and start looking for something bigger and nicer.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    With all that being said, my daughter got a 1022 for her first rifle. I called it the money hose. LOLOL It took a while for her to stop draining mags and making a few shots count, but we got past that. Again, a gun to use for life but maybe not the best choice.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    If a Henry is too big, they are probably too young. It's not a big gun. Light too. And they grow fast.
    Add: I want them to have a rifle for life, not just a year and never shoot again. It's from Grandpa. I want them to have something useful.
    I still shoot my first gun. I wouldn't if it was a Cricket.
    Its still a 4+ lb rifle with a 13" LOP, thats a load for a 6-8 yr old. A Chipmonk standard is 2.6 lbs
    Its like buying two tanks of fuel in a dually.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    My first grandson has a 9422 in the safe for when he grows a bit. I got it for the price of a Henry, so no Henry for him. Lol.
    I bought one also for My son when he was 2 months old .......He didn`t start out shooting that gun buy eventually grew into it .
    He is 39 today ( still has it ) and has easily ran 10 -15K rounds through it .

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    If you insist on a lever, buy the Browning in the classifieds here.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My Grand daughter (AGE 9) uses a 10/22 with the axon stock and a bipod. The stock is set for a length of pull (end of stock to trigger) of 11 inches. The stock can adjust to fit me and I'm 6' 2".
    I originally thought a bolt action would be best but I couldn't find a left handed youth rifle. The 10/22 is pretty ambidextrous, the stock will grow with her, and her sister and brother can also use it as they get old enough. Only the boy is right handed and right eyed. The girls are left/left and left handed, right eyed. I expect this system will work for all.
    Shoot through reactive targets are good for fun, instant feedback. (The range won't let us use cans.)

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    that’s cute, and so is this thread. already preparing for those memories and all. right on.

id find him an old single shot. let them lust over the repeaters and such to develop their own preferences. i remember finally getting my own lever action .22, a rough Henry, for $150 at a gun show. Felt so good. And damn did I want the Golden Boys though. Also the shiny revolvers. Those wants remain now that im almost 30 and have bought & sold a few of them. so I don’t know, I guess im saying don’t get too excited and have him spoiled. my buddy’s who had grandpas arm them from day 1 really aren’t that passionate about guns in general, but do have extra sentimental attachment to those guns. remember, whatever you do is going to be special to them for that alone. or hopefully at least.

Last edited:

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    So, my wife and I are excited that our daughter will be delivering our first grandchild probably within the next 2 weeks (she's due on New Year's Eve). Since none of us are guaranteed another day or minute on this Earth, I want to get a .22 for my grandson to learn to shoot with down the road when he's old enough.
    Right now, I'm leaning towards a Henry lever action. But am open to other suggestions that maybe a better option. So what are your thoughts?
    Start with the basics, safety , target picture, if he/she wants to grow, then take that step.

If you are going to be the trainer, a youth model single shot 22 lr.

I have no knowledge of training, I started out on a Mossy semi auto, at about 10 yrs. old. Started squirrel hunting at about 12-13 for dinner meat. Good Luck n if you want to get a firearm that will last a few lifetimes n possibly be past down. Buy two, a single shot n a real gun. The price difference can only be about 150.00 bucks. Just the opinion of an old fudd.

Top Bottom