• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    Sounds like you need to start over. Clean it off and reseason. Once its freshly seasoned Don't wash with hot soapy water for awhile - just wipe it out clean. If necessary use soap sparingly, dry off and coat with oil. After neuromas uses washing and drying will be fine. Cast iron likes use. The more its used the better it gets.

I really don't want to start over. I've done that several times. It's also possible I'm not seasoning enough. I see where people go seven or eight rounds of seasoning, I try to get three before I use it.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I really don't want to start over. I've done that several times. It's also possible I'm not seasoning enough. I see where people go seven or eight rounds of seasoning, I try to get three before I use it.

You might try some variation in what you are using to season. Lard was the traditional favorite. Sometimes a heavier material will require fewer applications. The caveat here is that I have not as of yet tested this theory even though it is on the list.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Tried cast iron cooking a filet tonight for the first time. Watched a video that said to get the skillet smoking hot.... sear the steak on both sides, two minutes each, then put the skillet for another few minutes in a 450 degree oven.

This... didn't really work out. Maybe I didn't have the skillet hot enough, because the temperature reader didn't register barely at all. Maybe these weren't good instructions.

What's a good set of times to cook a filet (usually 1.5" thick) to medium rare?

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Was it over cooked or under cooked? I use this method and it works good for me. I learned to bring the steak to room temp before cooking after the first couple unsuccessful tries, and it made all the difference.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I have a Dutch oven I keep meaning to clean up and use on my BGE for something.....
    my cast iron skillets get used most often in my kitchen when I’m cooking. Wifey isn’t a big fan of using them but has zero objections when I do.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Was it over cooked or under cooked? I use this method and it works good for me. I learned to bring the steak to room temp before cooking after the first couple unsuccessful tries, and it made all the difference.

Under. I think I'm being apprehensive about getting the skillet "ripping hot"... because of all the smoke.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Wife has it down to a art

1. preheat cast iron skillet in oven at 450

2. prep steaks must be room temp

3. turn stove burner screaming hot

4. sear steaks 1 to 2 min (there will be much smoke)

5. move to oven 4-7 min based on type of cut

We have some cast iron that’s been in the family for over 150 years.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory

6. remember to use oven mitts, big ones...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

This reminds me of how my Granny did it.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    This is how I do it.

Cook the Perfect Steak in a Cast-Iron Skillet

Directions
    1. Pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees.
    2. Remove steaks from the fridge and season both sides with coarse sea salt (or kosher salt) and coarsely ground black pepper, to taste. Just eyeball the spices, but make sure you use enough to form a nice crust. If you have a favorite meat seasoning blend, you can also use that. Let the steaks rest 45-60 minutes on the counter prior to cooking so the meat comes closer to room temperature.
    3. Add 1 tbsp of cooking oil to a seasoned cast-iron skillet and turn the burner to medium-high heat. Warm the oil until the surface just begins to shimmer (that's how we know it's hot enough to sear). Note: We want the pan/oil to be plenty hot in order to create a proper sear on both sides of the steak; however, the oil should not be smoking before you place the steak in the pan. If it is, remove the skillet from the burner and let it cool down for several minutes before continuing the process. You may want to remove the batteries from your smoke alarm temporarily, turn on a ceiling fan or vent fan and/or open a few windows, as once the steak goes in the pan it will likely create a bit of smoke (using an oil with a lower smoke point like butter or olive oil will definitely contribute to this).
    4. Place steaks into the hot pan (it should sizzle). Make sure not to crowd the pan. If you're cooking more than 2 or 3 steaks you may need to use two pans. Let the steaks cook for 2 minutes. Flip the steaks over, then let them cook another two minutes. I recommend using a timer here. If you want to sear the sides, cook them for about 30 seconds on each side using your tongs to hold up each steak.
    5. Using an oven mitt, transfer the pan to the oven and let it cook for 4-5 more minutes. This will create a medium, pink center. If you want it medium rare or rare, try 2-4 minutes. IMPORTANT: For smaller, leaner steaks you'll want to keep it in the oven no longer than 2 minutes, even less if you want to achieve medium rare. For a larger, fattier cuts, 4-6 minutes will achieve a pink center. And if you're uncertain, you can always do the finger test to check for doneness.
    6. Remove pan from the oven. Using tongs, place the steaks on a cutting board or plate, cover loosely with aluminum foil or a dish towel and let rest for 7-10 minutes without cutting into it.
    7. A few minutes before serving, when you plate the meat, top each steak with a tablespoon of the organic, grass-fed butter. Give it a minute to melt over the steak, then serve.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I’m still torn on the reverse sear, while it makes a fantastic steak, it produces very poor pan sauces since it leaves very little of the crunchy bits usually reserved for pan sauces. Steak AuPoivre is one of my favorite dishes, but can’t be made reverse seared. Also a reverse seared prime rib roast without au jus is just sad. I can cook off a 1-1/2” ribeye in minutes on the BGE rather than all day with a reverse sear too.

Top Bottom