• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Does any here have any preference to certain types of charcoal? I'm finding that i really like a 70/30 mixture of kingsford competition/lump for the first basket load and straight lump charcoal for the last basket.

Lump burns hotter and cleaner, but brickettes burn longer and more consistently. Mixing the two negates the benefits of either in my opinion. The only brickettes I will use are Kingsford Blue Bag. I've yet to find any other brickettes that don't produce foul sooty smoke. If I'm going for a long smoke (12hrs+), I'll use brickettes. I can go 20hr + on 10lbs of KBB (minion method) with my drum. I'll also use KBB if I'm just grilling some burgers. Anything else I use Royal Oak lump.

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    Lump burns hotter and cleaner, but brickettes burn longer and more consistently. Mixing the two negates the benefits of either in my opinion. The only brickettes I will use are Kingsford Blue Bag. I've yet to find any other brickettes that don't produce foul sooty smoke. If I'm going for a long smoke (12hrs+), I'll use brickettes. I can go 20hr + on 10lbs of KBB (minion method) with my drum. I'll also use KBB if I'm just grilling some burgers. Anything else I use Royal Oak lump.

I mix the two for the flavor. I think the lump adds an additional flavor.

tetsujin79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NWI
    63E1D98D-F66E-4B16-9951-14CBC44FA72C_zpsgnwtolo7.jpg

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Walmart had some briskets on sale, so i picked up an 18 pounder and trimmed and seasoned it last night, now were ready to get some smoke rolling.
    20140921_045058_zpsad488cf9.jpg

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    As I was biking through town the other day I smelled an amazing BBQ smell. I knew a guy a block over from the road had a smoker (I stopped and talked to him about it once) so I headed over that way and just as I suspected there was delicious smelling smoke was billowing out the stack of the smoker. He wasn't out there for me to ask what it was, but it smelled awesome.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Finished product, I didn't get a picture of the burnt ends from the point. I am cubing, vac packing, and freezing some of the flat for some brisket chili at a later date.

2014-09-21183452_zpsfe382018.jpg

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Since this thread is about grilling and we all missed the National Braai Day that our South African friends love to celebrate so much, I thought I'd pop a few South African recipes up here for folks to try. No-one loves to grill half so much as a South African and they do it better than many people do. Try the sosaties recipe for something you'll make again and again. They are super delicious! These are from one of my favourite South Africans site. She knows some cooking!
    Lamb and apricot sosaties (skewers)

Bacon-wrapped venison loin on the braai

Pork loin stuffed with Prosciutto and Parmesan

Whole leg of lamb on the braai/barbecue

Sticky chicken sundowners (wings)

Pattypan, courgette and halloumi kebabs on the braai
    Braai sarmies

I'm also going to throw in my recipe for sosaties. 'Cause I think mine's a darned good one, too and it's also a SA one, originally.
    Sosaties

Meat

1 Clove Garlic
    1 fat leg of mutton or lamb 1.5-2 kg
    5 bruised orang, lemon or bay leaves
    10 ml salt (2 tsp)
    3 ml ground ginger (3/4 tsp)
    3 ml pepper (3/4 tsp)
    25 ml ground corriander (5 tsp)
    125 ml milk
    150 grams dried apricots

1. Rub an earthenware or glass bowl with the garlic.
    2. Cut the meat into cubes large enough to skewer.
    3. Mix the remaining ingredients and put the mixture in the bowl with the meat. Marinate overnight.
    4. Prepare Sosatie Sauce (below).

Sosatie Sauce
    4 Large Onions, Sliced
    250 ml Water
    1 Small Chili, seeded and chopped
    25 ml Sugar (5 tsp)
    25 ml Curry Powder (5 tsp) (I suggest S&B Brand)
    3 ml Salt (3/4 tsp)
    5 ml Turmeric (1 tsp)
    25 ml apricot jam or 6 dried apricots, soaked and finely chopped (I prefer the dried apricots)
    500 ml vinegar (I use Apple Cider vinegar)

Mix and boil all ingredients but the vinegar for 5 minutes. Add vinegar at the last minute. Remove from heat an let cool to room temp.

5. Mix the sauce with the meat and allow to marinate for 1-2 days.
    6. Thread the pieces of meat, alternating fat and lean with apricots and pieces of onion on soaked skewers.
    7. Grill slowly over charcoal (medium heat) until browned and cooked.
    8. Thicken remaining sauce by adding flour and heating. Serve with the Sosaties, some Castle Lager and your favourite sides!

Here's a pic of what mine look like when they're done and on the grill.
    100_1245_edited.jpg

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    We got lazy tonight, teriyaki burgers on the grill. Some sautéed onions, toasted buns, little mayo, spicy mustard, home made sweet pickles and a thin slice of American and a thin slice of swiss and I got my version of "Cheeseburger in Paradise"!!!!:rockwoot:

If the above has offended anyone all I can say is "Tough ****!"

ddavidson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Clermont, IN
    We got lazy tonight, teriyaki burgers on the grill. Some sautéed onions, toasted buns, little mayo, spicy mustard, home made sweet pickles and a thin slice of American and a thin slice of swiss and I got my version of "Cheeseburger in Paradise"!!!!:rockwoot:

If the above has offended anyone all I can say is "Tough ****!"

I'm offended. I don't see any pics!

Top Bottom