• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Smoked brisket and pork loin, loin was a 8hr cook and the brisket was 10hrs, the liquid is 50/50 apple juice/water, fuel was Royal Oak charcoal and pecan wood, rub is a Indy local called Mudflap Jones prarie dust, both meats will be used for tacos as in sliced thin and thrown in a pan with peppers, onions, tomatoes, and taco sauce and cooked down. Makes some awesome tacos!

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Smoked a wild hog ham for 10 hours and some hog tenderloins wraped in maple bacon for about 4 hours on Sunday for my birthday dinner / family get together. Totally forgot to take any pictures but it was all a big hit. The ham was shredded and turned into bbq lathered in Gates Kansas City BBQ Sauce.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Bluetooth capable? How many probes can you use? Can you graph your temperature history?

I'll be cooking some brisket soon, kicking around the idea of picking up the igrill2 as it looks handy.

It is not bluetooth capable but they do have a wifi version. Mine simply monitors the pit temp and runs a fan as needed to maintain the pit temp that I set. It has a second probe for the meat and will bring the temp of the smoker down as the meat gets close to being done so that it won't overcook.

nsolimini

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Ellettsville
    Made a swine-apple for the wife and I.
    11046796_10106652636135703_5283576072480267907_n.jpg

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Does that woman know how lucky she is? I'm straight as hell, but for a swine-apple, I might get a little bi-curious.:gheyhi:

I said might.;)

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    It is not bluetooth capable but they do have a wifi version. Mine simply monitors the pit temp and runs a fan as needed to maintain the pit temp that I set. It has a second probe for the meat and will bring the temp of the smoker down as the meat gets close to being done so that it won't overcook.
    I have a uds plumbed for a digi-q but haven't bought one yet. Do you find it to be worth the coin?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I have a uds plumbed for a digi-q but haven't bought one yet. Do you find it to be worth the coin?

Absolutely. There is a competitive product out there that has sparked my interest, it has another feature or two but for the life of me I can't find it online now. It was fire-something-or-other, lol. The DigiQ is definitely worth having. I literally light the coals, set it up, tell it what temp I want to cook at and walk away, it hasn't failed me yet.

ETA: Just found the competitor's product, its called the Flame Boss. https://www.flameboss.com/store/p/3...ado-Smoker-Controller-Fits-Big-Green-Egg.aspx

Indy-Mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Carmel
    Love my DigiQ. I used to get up every coup,e of hours to check my smoker, with the DigiQ I get great smoked meat AND a good nights sleep. No worries.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Decided against the igrill2 and ordering a maverick et-733...

Igrill2 has horrible bluetooth range and and $20 more expensive. The et-733 can be had for $20 cheaper and can include the bear paw meat handler/shredder

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    Decided against the igrill2 and ordering a maverick et-733...

Igrill2 has horrible bluetooth range and and $20 more expensive. The et-733 can be had for $20 cheaper and can include the bear paw meat handler/shredder

Good choice. Got the Maverick this year and it's worked great. Just make sure to take care of the probes - careful cleaning and don't pull by the cord.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Good choice. Got the Maverick this year and it's worked great. Just make sure to take care of the probes - careful cleaning and don't pull by the cord.

Which maverick do you have? How do you clean the probes?

I'll be cooking up a brisket next weekend for a company outing, 10-15 pounds.

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    Which maverick do you have? How do you clean the probes?

I'll be cooking up a brisket next weekend for a company outing, 10-15 pounds.

Same as you - the 733.

Big issue is the metal wiring going into the probe. When you insert or pull the probe only grab the metal probe itself - not the wire. Everything I've read on various BBQ/Smoking forums is that it's easy to dislodge a connection inside the probe. Also, do NOT get the wire wet as you don't want water getting down into the probe itself.

To clean the probe I use a damp soapy sponge and scrub the probe without getting water down into it. Then use another just wet washcloth to get the soap off. I use a DAMP washcloth to GENTLY wipe the metal wiring - again making sure to not get water down into the probe.

I actually wrapped AL foil (about 8" wide) a few inches down the probe and up the metal wiring. This helps keep the top of the probe clean as well as the first few inches of the metal wiring clean - meaning I don't have to risk getting water close to the top of the probe opening.

Yes, this is overkill but I've read a lot about the weak link being the wiring/probe. Just too fragile if you're not careful.

Good luck on the brisky! I haven't tried one yet, but it WILL get done before the end of summer. You using a full packer? Where did you get it?

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Ordered my 733 today (this morning) and paid a little extra to get it in sometime on Saturday(today?)...this is what I shall receive:

81kMhKhkEpL._SX522_.jpg

I've read that many people put double layer heat shrink tube on the probe where the wires goes into....thoughts? I've also heard that the 6' probes from maverick are better built...I might order a set and see.

I won't have a lot of time to do a full brisket with a peak, I plan to smoke up some 10-15 pounds worth of flat brisket that we will probably slice and put on buns with some bbq sauce. I'll be using my dad's pellet smoker, pictures to follow...

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    I've read that many people put double layer heat shrink tube on the probe where the wires goes into....thoughts? I've also heard that the 6' probes from maverick are better built...I might order a set and see.

I'm looking into that too. However, 2 things to watch - you want it to be food safe (NSF - won't give off dangerous chemicals into the food) and must handle the heat (I'd go to at least 400* rated to be safe). I'm investigating options.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I'm looking into that too. However, 2 things to watch - you want it to be food safe (NSF - won't give off dangerous chemicals into the food) and must handle the heat (I'd go to at least 400* rated to be safe). I'm investigating options.

I'm hearing heat shrink tubing is go to 700 degrees...putting off chemicals, that I'm not sure...let me know what you find out.

Top Bottom