• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Lol. Free after you pay your deductible. I set mine at $1000 because I've never been in the habit of being at fault in accidents. The only time it bit me in the :horse: is when I lived in Gary and the neighbor punks car got shot up in the middle of the night and mine suffered some collateral damage.
    Our insurance glass coverage does not use the same deductible as the collision coverage.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    It's funny what we'll complain about, ain't it?

Vehicles now, from top to bottom, are light-years ahead of where they were 20-30 years ago in terms of engineering, safety, initial quality, and longevity.

And they're parsecs ahead of where they were back in the muscle car glory days. Average 4-pot family cars of today can run circles around almost all of those old cars - with the possible exception of straight line drag races. And even then it'd be close.

Today's worst cars on the market will generally go 100k miles EASY with the bare minimum of maintenance. And probably approach double that if you're overly concerned. I will say, though, that if said vehicle has a CVT - youse takes your chances and you'd better go ahead and have the fluid changed every 25-30k miles regardless of what an owner's manual may state. Especially if you have a Nissan. I digress.

yes - modern vehicles are loaded with a ton of stuff that *you* may find unnecessary / unwanted. But the overwhelming majority of customers DO want it - hence they make and sell it. And, right now, they sell every-single-one they can make several months before they make it.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    2nd- comparing diesels with a single turbo to a twin turbo gas engine on longevity...is not, I think, a comparison that favors the gas.
    Curiosity has struck, what makes a single computer controlled variable vane turbo on a diesel last longer than a comparable twin turbo system on a gas engine?

I have an 11 year old turbo diesel with ~150k and a few repairs, but nothing super unexpected. Mostly leaky seals and a timing chain problem but there are plenty of gas engines with those issues as well.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Agree w/ Mr. Fat above.

Vehicles, in general, are much high build quality and have much better longevity, than pretty much any prior decade.

Which means, manufacturers can't compete on either. So, they instead compete on "Bluetooth for you phone to control the color and brightness of dashboard lights, and we even have DISCO MODE!". Evidently enough people want that crap.

As a tech geek, I find much of this technology fascinating. As a gearhead, give me displacement and a manual trans.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The crap I would love to get rid of is all of the "safety" and driver assistance nonsense. Lane assistance, front end collision, yada yada...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Curiosity has struck, what makes a single computer controlled variable vane turbo on a diesel last longer than a comparable twin turbo system on a gas engine?

I have an 11 year old turbo diesel with ~150k and a few repairs, but nothing super unexpected. Mostly leaky seals and a timing chain problem but there are plenty of gas engines with those issues as well.
    I'm sure there are many factors, but I've always thought that the lubricity of diesel fuel itself makes a difference.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Turbos got a bad name thanks to a certain American car maker in the 80s. I won't mention any names...:whistle:

21g-1986-Chrysler-LeBaron-Town-Country-convertible-ad.jpg

Funny thing about them, their turbos were rarely the problem.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Turbos got a bad name thanks to a certain American car maker in the 80s. I won't mention any names...:whistle:

21g-1986-Chrysler-LeBaron-Town-Country-convertible-ad.jpg

Funny thing about them, their turbos were rarely the problem.
    I've always wanted one of those to make a Planes, Trains and Automobiles tribute car....and yes, I drove a couple of these back in the day.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I've always wanted one of those to make a Planes, Trains and Automobiles tribute car....and yes, I drove a couple of these back in the day.
    My uncle had a Lancer back in the day. Car never made it to 50K.

It's spectacular mechanical failures were only rivaled by my mom and dad's diesel Grand Prix which also expired early.

At least the Grand Prix was a willing donor for a 455 Olds motor I was able to procure.

Looking back, probably not a great 'first car' for me.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I am sure there are thousands of examples of gratuitous technology and I find them annoying. Why do product designers feel the need to put worthless features in products.

A friend picked up my trailer and the brakes do not work on their new Chevy truck. They work perfect on my truck with my "dumb" brake controller I have had since 1999.

It appears that the engineers built in the controller to the truck some years ago, that is good, what is not good is the newest controllers send a signal to the brakes and expect a signal back. If they do not get that signal the brakes do not work. Older trailer electric braking systems need a $150 part to work, this particularly affects electric/hydraulic systems like mine.

My truck sends a signal to the trailer brakes if there is a trailer or not, it does not hurt or cost anything. Why did they have to f**k with it? What was gained?
    If its an OEM tow package, there may be some sort of algorithm in the vehicle stability system to accommodate towing a trailer

Don't blame the engineers, they (mostly) just do what they're told. If engineers were only willing to work on projects that made sense we would need less of them

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Why did tilt wheel need a motor assembly? Are we humans now to weak to move a steering wheel? Probably costs $500 per vehicle and there are literally a hundred other items like this adding useless cost to vehicles…
    Does the vehicle have storable driver profiles? With a fair number of high end vehicles the system will remember the location a given profile prefers for seat, mirrors etc. If the control position is adjustable (there is often adjustable pedal reach, also) those controls would need to be motored electrically for the system to be able to adjust on demand

On a Benz, you can literally just get in, bring up the control screen and select driver [name] and all control positions, many pre-selects such as neutralization of some alarms and driver 'aids', and even pre-sets for the sound system and climate controls are all adjusted to the preferences of that driver profile

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    If its an OEM tow package, there may be some sort of algorithm in the vehicle stability system to accommodate towing a trailer

Don't blame the engineers, they (mostly) just do what they're told. If engineers were only willing to work on projects that made sense we would need less of them
    Almost had it.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Does the vehicle have storable driver profiles? With a fair number of high end vehicles the system will remember the location a given profile prefers for seat, mirrors etc. If the control position is adjustable (there is often adjustable pedal reach, also) those controls would need to be motored electrically for the system to be able to adjust on demand

On a Benz, you can literally just get in, bring up the control screen and select driver [name] and all control positions, many pre-selects such as neutralization of some alarms and driver 'aids', and even pre-sets for the sound system and climate controls are all adjusted to the preferences of that driver profile
    Don't even need to select driver in my Corvette, it recognizes up to 4 FOBs and adjusts seat, mirrors, and tilt/telescoping steering wheel accordingly to each.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle

My truck has a seat and pedal memory, turn the truck on, it automatically adjusts to my settings, select the other settings and I’ll be crushed to death because my wife is almost a midget. When you turn it off the seats go fully rearward and to the lowest level.

Top Bottom