• ...and so much more!
  • LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'd avoid oil or grease on the buffer spring.

Go light on grease around the BCG where it contacts the upper. You can liberally oil the BCG with something slippery that wont grab too much soot. Brand of oil varies from person to person.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I'd avoid oil or grease on the buffer spring.
    Whatever you use inside of the AR be it OIL or GREASE will make it's way to the buffer spring as the firearm cycles regardless.

I use a very light grease [as in, so thin you can't tell there's grease there but the surface is slick] on the upper where it's silver from contact and then oil the BCG liberally but not so much that oil goes flying everywhere the first time you fire it.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I personally use a little bit (applied with a toothpick) on the bolt cam pin. The Bolt carrier rails get just enough CLP wiped on with my fingers to look shiney. Two drops of CLP in each hole of the bolt carrier to keep the gas rings happy. That said, notice we are talking about extremely light quanities. Don't over lube an AR

I shot matches, and shot enough to wear out a Krieger SS top quality barrel about once a year. I used the same bolt for three barrels annd was shooting fine when I sold it. Nothing ever wore out.

If you are in dusty combat conditions, running everything dry is less damaging than dirt sticking in the lube.

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    Really though OP, you just need to use something like CLP or Slip 2000 and you're fine. I'd stay away from RemOil. Other products on the market are M-Pro 7, and Frog Lube which I've never used but they work well from what I hear. I've never tried this but I know some people use 10w-30 motor oil on their BCG's.

SILVERBACK

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    MONROVIA
    Green Grease on the Bolt carrier rails and royal purple 0w-20 on every thing else.
    So far never one issue, cheap one tube and a quart last a loooooong time.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    RemOil sucks.

When it drys out it leaves a gummy residue.

I have never had it leave anything other then a slick surface behind. Maybe I do a more through cleaning? I don't know. I like it because solvents remove it and it doesn't leave a oily film behind that stuff sticks to. I have 20 or so guns that I have used it on since they were new. We all have our preferences. YMMV definitely applies.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Remoil is junk.

I like to grease the buffer spring heavily. Makes it smoother and quieter. I also have a parts washer that i use to clean it out so i am not worried about how dirty it gets back there.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I use mobil 1 grease on all of my guns metal on metal areas and never had a problem. Just about anything that needs oil on any gun gets a q-tip of mobil 1 synthetic.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Put a dot of slip2000 on, spread it out with your hands, and keep applying until it won't hold anymore without dripping.

I do this for practically all metal parts in firearms. No need applying it to the buffer or spring.

Top Bottom