• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdroz3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    Walkerton
    Who knew there was a big cat rescue here in our humble state of Indiana? Not me, That is not until a couple of days ago. I was watching a DVD, with my 6 year old daughter, called Growing Up Tiger. It was a show produced by the Animal Planet. The cub that was featured in that show was born at Great Cats of Indiana. Great Cats of Indiana Sanctuary & Rescue Facility for Big Cats . So after the show was over we jumped online to check out their web site, and see what they are all about. I encourage you to do the same but here is a brief overview.
    Great Cats of Indiana is a 501-c-3 nonprofit rescue and sanctuary for big cats and other carnivores. All of them, for one reason or another, were displaced, neglected, abused, abandoned, or homeless. Great Cats gives them a safe comfortable place to live out their days. They are located 5 miles east of Monticello, on Hwy 24.
    Great Cats of Indiana is NOT a zoo, but they do offer tours. Prices are reasonable and no one should complain since all the money raised goes directly back to the animals. Adults are $7.50, kids 3-12 $5.00, 3 and under are free. The tour takes about an hour and are up close and personal with the cats. The farthest away from a cage i remember being was about 3 feet. I could have reached out and petted the cats if i wanted. The facility is not the best looking place, but everything there was donated, and they do the best they can with what they have. All the animals are safe and none have ever escaped.
    My wife and I loaded up our two kids and drove down yesterday. Here are some of the pics i took.

2ptpbph.jpg

30uz80x.jpg

ykktx.jpg

2viio2w.jpg

2ymgjtf.jpg

2zrojyh.jpg

Not me in this pic. It is the tour guide.
    6hpctf.jpg

30ho3fr.jpg

Last edited:

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    I will be hitting this place up. Along with the FRC. Hadn't heard of them.

And also, Annie is right...Black Pines is awesome as well.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    I live in Logansport and the wife's family lives in Monicello. We literally drive by at least 40 times a year, probably more. Still have never taken the time to stop, but it is on our agenda as the kid gets older and can appreciate it more.

mdroz3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    Walkerton
    I think we will be taking the kids to Black Pine in October. Didn't know about that one either, but it looks awesome. Thanks Annie. It would be great if they did something special for halloween.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I think we will be taking the kids to Black Pine in October. Didn't know about that one either, but it looks awesome. Thanks Annie. It would be great if they did something special for halloween.
    Give them a call. They're always open to suggestions and ideas.:yesway:

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen

Maybe watching some small children fall into the lion cage :D

Sorry, couldn't resist. I watch way too many horror movies.

Top Bottom