• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Great day at CMP North Store / Camp Perry (now with pics)

Had an awesome day today! INGO member tmysak and I took off early this morning (4am) for a road trip to Camp Perry. Along the way we picked up my new safe door for a vault room from Smith Safe Co. in Tontogony, OH.

From there we drove to Camp Perry in Port Clinton. We arrived just after 10 am and joined a few other enthusiasts looking around at the good selection of Garands. I was looking for WWII gun, so primarily was looking for Winchester or some earlier S/n Springfields.

The rack grade rifles were pretty rough, although there were a few that would probably make great rifles with a little TLC and a few parts swapping, including stocks. The Special Grade Springfields were very nice, and would make for a good modern M1 to shoot.

I ended up coming home with two Winchesters, both with some very nice WWII parts on them. The plan was to buy two, and use the parts to make one as close to correct Winchester as possible, and have the other be still a nice WWII recievered gun and good shooter.

With the help of tmysak and another very helpful gentleman there (and the staff) I settled on a 2.4M s/n Service Grade rifle with Lock-Bar rear sights, and a 63 dated Springfield barrel which gaged 1 on the muzzle and 2 on the throat, or pretty much brand new / unfired. It also had a HRA stock with 1/2" cartouche, which is correct for the 5.7M HRA I already own.

The second gun was a 2.3M s/n Service Grade WRA with a 4-1945 dated Springfield barrel...which I thought was very cool. It also had a war time WRA milled trigger guard and nice wood.

I did pass on very nice special grade HRA today that was all correct, but had a new CMP stock on it. Even had an LMR barrel, which some collectors really look for. The nice gentlemen helping me find the two Winchesters ended up taking that home.

[STRIKE]

I need to clean the cosmo off these babies and then I'll post pics in the next few days. (I know, that is horrible of me, but I really wan tto do these rifles justice).

[/STRIKE]

PICS UP!!

After we left we drove over to see the famous Camp Perry range where the National Matches are held. Lets just say that the 1000yard target area is a LONG way from the firing line. Maybe 1 day I'll give that a try.

If you haven't made the journy up to Camp Perry, I highly recommend it. It is about 4.5 to 5 hours from Indy (depending on drive style, traffic, etc.) and is a nice drive on mostly good roads.

DSC08536.jpg

2.3M WRA

DSC08529.jpg

DSC08530.jpg

2.4M WRA

Rifles with their younger brother, a 5.7M HRA (top rifle, with all HRA Parts)

DSC08542.jpg

Link to more photos:
    M1 Garands pictures by jblomenberg16 - Photobucket

Last edited:

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    N. Store is the bomb!!!! Great score on a HRA stock an the WRA with a 45' barrel !!! The One with TE2 an ME1 is a very good find, but trust me its had rounds through it!!! But still very Excellent!! Wish mine had those measurements. You did great....did they have very many SA Field Grades? I like looking through those for the WWII ones.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    My dad gave me a garand marked Springfield Oct 1941, thats BEFORE WWII started.
    Sits in a case in the attic with about ten clips of balck tipped AP rounds.
    Nice piece of history.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Someday I will get there! :)

I would be like a fish out of water while in there. I know absolutely nothing about Garand's or what to look for or to avoid. All I know is I want one for my collection.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Sounds like you had a good trip, and picked up a few very nice Garands. We used to fish out of Port Clinton so the North Store was included in the trip !!!

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    N. Store is the bomb!!!! Great score on a HRA stock an the WRA with a 45' barrel !!! The One with TE2 an ME1 is a very good find, but trust me its had rounds through it!!! But still very Excellent!! Wish mine had those measurements. You did great....did they have very many SA Field Grades? I like looking through those for the WWII ones.

Thanks! I was very pleased, and even more so after I field stripped the rifles for a good cleaning last night. One has a no-dash IHC op-rod, and between the two I have a complete WRA trigger group with the exception of the safety.

There was 1/2 a rack of field grade Springfields. One had decent metal and a good barrel, but had really bad wood on it. I think a guy could have probably done a two for one on them as well.

There was another WRA there with Lock Bars and a post war Springfield barrel that was a Muzzle of 0! and TE of <2. I really thought about getting that rifle.

The inventory of rifles definitely leaned towards the nicer end, with the Service and Special Grade rifles.

I hope to have some pics up this afternoon...after we have Mother's day brunch. :)

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Last one I bought was a rack grade and it shoots fine I think the throat and MW were both right around 1.5-2. Never had a problem out of it.
    WWII receiver with a '52 barrel. Its hard to beat the $495 price too.
    If you go to the north store they will help you pick out a nice one and let you use the gauges to check the barrels.

Top Bottom