• ...and so much more!
  • ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I have been keeping my eye out for a good deal on a gun safe at Menards because I have a bunch of rebates and gift certificates for their stores. Almost bought one during their last 11% off sale. Glad I didn't because I came across this Sentinel 30 gun safe on clearance this week. This item has been discontinued so it is only on clearance until they sell out and they won't be getting any more.

Normal Price = $849.99

Sale Price = $599.99

Additional Rebate = $100 (merchandise check for Menards)

Actual Price = $499.99

I already bought one, so I went ahead and did a quick inventory check for my fellow INGOrs.

FISHERS = 2
    CARMEL = 2
    INDY EAST = 3
    INDY SOUTH = 3
    AVON = 1

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    This is a good option for safe storage to keep the kids away from your weapons, but do not rely on something like this to thwart a burglar. I used to do warranty repair for the company that makes these (StackOn Product) and they are ok for storage, but they are not all that secure. To open most gun safes in the event of a lock failure would typically take 25-35 minutes, some might approach an hour if things didn't go particularly well. This goes for even the most respected names in the gun safe business. But these things are truly some of the easiest opening containers I've ever encountered. And while I have drill point data from the factory, exceptional equipment, and the knowledge of 20 years in the industry... it still reflects the overall quality and the ability to thwart amateur break in attempts. I've personally opened this exact container in under 15 minutes before with one 1/4" hole.

Nothing is absolutely secure. It's not possible, anything man made can be defeated by man. I once opened a GSA black labeled Mosler vault door at a national guard armory (inside were racks containing 100's of select fire AR15's) in less then 30 minutes. So your expectations to thwart a professional shouldn't be set very high. You need to think of your security as layers, each layer a part of an overall security system that rely and support each other to deter, delay, and detect an intruder. The military refers to this as defense in depth. Quality perimeter locks on steel framed doors. Good lighting. These can prevent someone from even attempting to enter your home. A monitored alarm. Quality safe. etc.

Pharaoh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2015
    Indianapolis
    This is a good option for safe storage to keep the kids away from your weapons, but do not rely on something like this to thwart a burglar. I used to do warranty repair for the company that makes these (StackOn Product) and they are ok for storage, but they are not all that secure. To open most gun safes in the event of a lock failure would typically take 25-35 minutes, some might approach an hour if things didn't go particularly well. This goes for even the most respected names in the gun safe business. But these things are truly some of the easiest opening containers I've ever encountered. And while I have drill point data from the factory, exceptional equipment, and the knowledge of 20 years in the industry... it still reflects the overall quality and the ability to thwart amateur break in attempts. I've personally opened this exact container in under 15 minutes before with one 1/4" hole.

Nothing is absolutely secure. It's not possible, anything man made can be defeated by man. I once opened a GSA black labeled Mosler vault door at a national guard armory (inside were racks containing 100's of select fire AR15's) in less then 30 minutes. So your expectations to thwart a professional shouldn't be set very high. You need to think of your security as layers, each layer a part of an overall security system that rely and support each other to deter, delay, and detect an intruder. The military refers to this as defense in depth. Quality perimeter locks on steel framed doors. Good lighting. These can prevent someone from even attempting to enter your home. A monitored alarm. Quality safe. etc.

Do you have a recommended safe that would be better than this at a reasonable or comparable price to this one. Most people that are breaking into your house to steal items from you aren't interested in going "Italian Job" on your safe to get your gold and buried treasure. Most break ins tend to be things that can be quickly taken, easily carried, and easily pawned. If someone has the time to setup shop to drill your safe, I would think that most safes on the market don't stand a chance.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    Do you have a recommended safe that would be better than this at a reasonable or comparable price to this one. Most people that are breaking into your house to steal items from you aren't interested in going "Italian Job" on your safe to get your gold and buried treasure. Most break ins tend to be things that can be quickly taken, easily carried, and easily pawned. If someone has the time to setup shop to drill your safe, I would think that most safes on the market don't stand a chance.

You'd be shocked what an amateur with a reciprocating saw can do pealing back the top of most commercial gun safes in under than 30 minutes. Most gun safes body construction is a heavy gauge sheet metal. I like Liberty safes, you won't find anything in this price point any better.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    You'd be shocked what an amateur with a reciprocating saw can do pealing back the top of most commercial gun safes in under than 30 minutes. Most gun safes body construction is a heavy gauge sheet metal. I like Liberty safes, you won't find anything in this price point any better.

Unless my searching is failing me, it looks like a comparably sized Liberty safe is running about 3 times the deal price presented here. So, that's a tough one. While I believe that the Liberty safes are better, are they 3 times better for the price?

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    30 minutes (even 15 minutes) seems like a REALLY long time for a burglar to be making all kinds of noise attempting to compromise a gun safe instead of grabbing stuff sitting in plain sight...especially for a crime of opportunity.

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    30 minutes (even 15 minutes) seems like a REALLY long time for a burglar to be making all kinds of noise attempting to compromise a gun safe instead of grabbing stuff sitting in plain sight...especially for a crime of opportunity.

If you're not home who's to hear? Most 'neighbors' won't bother with a distant muffled noise.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

Some years ago... well, maybe three or four decades ago...some guys broke into the Treasurer's office in the court house in Nashville, Brown County, Indiana, on a weekend. The safe in the office was an old old one, thick iron metal plates with several inches of concrete between the inner and outer walls. The burglars used axes and sledge hammers to beat there way through the iron and the concrete. Can you imagine the racket? But they did succeed in breaching the safe. The Treasurer walked in on Monday morning and found a pile of rubble and abandoned tools in front of the safe.

The stinger? at that time the Brown County Sheriff's office was located at the other end of the courthouse. And it is not a very big courthouse. They didn't hear nuttin'.

So yeah, layers of defense with alarms if you actually want to catch or deter someone in the act.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Some years ago... well, maybe three or four decades ago...some guys broke into the Treasurer's office in the court house in Nashville, Brown County, Indiana, on a weekend. The safe in the office was an old old one, thick iron metal plates with several inches of concrete between the inner and outer walls. The burglars used axes and sledge hammers to beat there way through the iron and the concrete. Can you imagine the racket? But they did succeed in breaching the safe. The Treasurer walked in on Monday morning and found a pile of rubble and abandoned tools in front of the safe.

The stinger? at that time the Brown County Sheriff's office was located at the other end of the courthouse. And it is not a very big courthouse. They didn't hear nuttin'.

So yeah, layers of defense with alarms if you actually want to catch or deter someone in the act.

Well that's Brown County for you

We do stuff right down here

Combsie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Spencerville,IN
    I have been keeping my eye out for a good deal on a gun safe at Menards because I have a bunch of rebates and gift certificates for their stores. Almost bought one during their last 11% off sale. Glad I didn't because I came across this Sentinel 30 gun safe on clearance this week. This item has been discontinued so it is only on clearance until they sell out and they won't be getting any more.

Normal Price = $849.99

Sale Price = $599.99

Additional Rebate = $100 (merchandise check for Menards)

Actual Price = $499.99

I already bought one, so I went ahead and did a quick inventory check for my fellow INGOrs.

FISHERS = 2
    CARMEL = 2
    INDY EAST = 3
    INDY SOUTH = 3
    AVON = 1

Thanks for sharing ACC, I was able to grab the last one from the Maysville location. :cheers:

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    Unless my searching is failing me, it looks like a comparably sized Liberty safe is running about 3 times the deal price presented here. So, that's a tough one. While I believe that the Liberty safes are better, are they 3 times better for the price?

Yes. They are very good safes. But you still need additional measures. Relying on just a safe is setting yourself up for disappointment down the road. But this safe on sale with the appropriate measures would be good too. Deter. Delay. Detect. The harder you prepare, the more likely your place will deter an attack. If your place is attacked, the goal is to delay until the calvary arrives. In order for that to happen you need a means of detection when you are not home... ie alarm.

Top Bottom