• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Combsie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Spencerville,IN
    I was just wandering how many of you had/have friends and family supporting this frenzy? I myself have a family member and a friend taking advantage of the times. They'll get a fair deal on something just to mark it up to panic prices. One of them is a Wal-mart employee that gets ammo before it hits the shelf just to sell on Armslist! Before it's mentioned, I do talk to them about it and explain how they're part of the problem.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    It is free market, but I'll agree it's a darn shame. They're turning a profit, but they are hurting the health of this sport tremendously.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Seems pretty unethical to me? I would never intentionally rip somebody off. If I had access to ammo like that, yes, I would buy some for myself when I knew it was there, but wouldn't be reselling it for a profit.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    It does not matter what anyone thinks, it's called capitalism. Supply and demand, pure and simple. Most seem to want blame the seller, but I never see anything about the buyers. Anyone who has bought guns, mags, or ammo at inflated prices are enabling sellers buying items and ammo to flip for 2-3 times the price. If I wanted to sell a case of .223 for example, and I see others getting say $800, why not. If someone is willing to pay it, that's their own fault. No one is forcing them to do so. It's not like if you go without ammo you are going to starve to death. If the majority would stop panic buying, the market would eventually start to stabilize. They would not be enabling sellers to flip for profit. Before you point the blame, have you bought anything at inflated prices? If so, you are one that's enabling. I have not bought one single round of ammo since the panic started. I knew all of this would come eventually with the current administration. That's where planning comes at hand.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It does not matter what anyone thinks, it's called capitalism. Supply and demand, pure and simple. Most seem to want blame the seller, but I never see anything about the buyers. Anyone who has bought guns, mags, or ammo at inflated prices are enabling sellers buying items and ammo to flip for 2-3 times the price. If I wanted to sell a case of .223 for example, and I see others getting say $800, why not. If someone is willing to pay it, that's their own fault. No one is forcing them to do so. It's not like if you go without ammo you are going to starve to death. If the majority would stop panic buying, the market would eventually start to stabilize. They would not be enabling sellers to flip for profit. Before you point the blame, have you bought anything at inflated prices? If so, you are one that's enabling. I have not bought one single round of ammo since the panic started. I knew all of this would come eventually with the current administration. That's where planning comes at hand.[/QUOTE

Yes...pure free market forces at work and why not.

Well, some folks just have issue with it like any other item up for sale any where. Gold is a prime example. Those who are grabbing it up at the "Bubble" prices are doing as they see fit. Their money, no biggie.

I have sold a few AR's to friends for what I have invested so they can play. They have done me solids in the past. It is on the wheel.

I have sold ammo and P-Mags for decent prices to others who are not re-selling. They wanted to play as well....Karma is a bitatch un-less properly treated. JMHO

jay2981

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    It does not matter what anyone thinks, it's called capitalism. Supply and demand, pure and simple. Most seem to want blame the seller, but I never see anything about the buyers. Anyone who has bought guns, mags, or ammo at inflated prices are enabling sellers buying items and ammo to flip for 2-3 times the price. If I wanted to sell a case of .223 for example, and I see others getting say $800, why not. If someone is willing to pay it, that's their own fault. No one is forcing them to do so. It's not like if you go without ammo you are going to starve to death. If the majority would stop panic buying, the market would eventually start to stabilize. They would not be enabling sellers to flip for profit. Before you point the blame, have you bought anything at inflated prices? If so, you are one that's enabling. I have not bought one single round of ammo since the panic started. I knew all of this would come eventually with the current administration. That's where planning comes at hand.

I absolutely agree! The way I've likened "some" of the "gougers" is to the ever changing gun market. Let's say you bought a sks years ago and paid $75 for it, are you going to consider it gouging when you sell it for $400 now? I don't think you will. This is simple supply and demand. When the panicking stops everything will settle. It's not the "gougers".

sidewinder27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    It is true and unfettered capitalism. People argue in support of capitalism until they see it in a true form. When the laws of supply and demand control the price you have a true capitalist economy or market.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    It does not matter what anyone thinks, it's called capitalism. Supply and demand, pure and simple. Most seem to want blame the seller, but I never see anything about the buyers. Anyone who has bought guns, mags, or ammo at inflated prices are enabling sellers buying items and ammo to flip for 2-3 times the price. If I wanted to sell a case of .223 for example, and I see others getting say $800, why not. If someone is willing to pay it, that's their own fault. No one is forcing them to do so. It's not like if you go without ammo you are going to starve to death. If the majority would stop panic buying, the market would eventually start to stabilize. They would not be enabling sellers to flip for profit. Before you point the blame, have you bought anything at inflated prices? If so, you are one that's enabling. I have not bought one single round of ammo since the panic started. I knew all of this would come eventually with the current administration. That's where planning comes at hand.[/QUOTE

Yes...pure free market forces at work and why not.

Well, some folks just have issue with it like any other item up for sale any where. Gold is a prime example. Those who are grabbing it up at the "Bubble" prices are doing as they see fit. Their money, no biggie.

I have sold a few AR's to friends for what I have invested so they can play. They have done me solids in the past. It is on the wheel.

I have sold ammo and P-Mags for decent prices to others who are not re-selling. They wanted to play as well....Karma is a bitatch un-less properly treated. JMHO

I have bought ammo and given to a friend, and asked for nothing in return.

Hoosierhunter97

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    I was just wandering how many of you had/have friends and family supporting this frenzy? I myself have a family member and a friend taking advantage of the times. They'll get a fair deal on something just to mark it up to panic prices. One of them is a Wal-mart employee that gets ammo before it hits the shelf just to sell on Armslist! Before it's mentioned, I do talk to them about it and explain how they're part of the problem.

I've suspected as much for some time. My Wal-Mart has an enormous sporting goods section (as far as Wal-Marts go) and NEVER, and I mean NEVER have handgun ammo any longer. The bone heads that work there act like they absolutely do not know when ammo is coming in (I've been told as much) and then watched them sell handgun ammo "out of the back" when coming passed their department less than an hour later. No one can tell me, that the supposed largest retailer on the planet doesnt have the buying power and muscle to properly stock at least SOME ammo. Ive had far better luck, aquiring ammo at two other of their locations in the Suburbs. Its BS and you are right they are a part of the problem. The other part of the problem, is the auction sites, where morons pay 600 and 700 dollars for 5000 rounds of .22 ammo. Why would a bulk dealer bother to sell their stock outright, when they have a bag of idiots bidding the hell out of this kind of stock that used to go for around 200-250? As long as there are fools willing to pay four to five times as much, out of sheer panic, this will not end any time soon IMO.

Hoosierhunter97

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    I have bought ammo and given to a friend, and asked for nothing in return.

Likewise, I have now taken six people who've never shot a handgun in their life, shooting, in order for them to get a feel for it and did it for "the fun of it". Most have gone on to buy their own handguns and we are now "range buddies". I dont need to profit from everything I do in life, my integrity is far more important than a few measly bucks

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    The real problem is that people nowadays do not shop around and do not do research of any kind. This has been taught in our culture as of late and if something bad happens then you just sue somebody! there are way to many stupid people, capitalism only works with informed and cautious and moral people, this is what made our nation great, the "hand shake", a man's "word", today, its all legal crap, sue everybody, stupid population that will not shop around and will not tell a dealership "no" if they dont like the price of a car. its just sad. its only gonna get worse.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I think some of the people who always respond "its capitolism" are not getting the complaint.. It seems to me, alot of people are just tired of everyone being so selfish..

It isnt wrong to exploit a hookup, and then sell the ammo. This isnt illegal...

But its still just a ****ty thing to do, and that bothers some people.

I cant wait till the reloading stuff comes back to the market. Ive never been able to do it, and would love to get a surplus of powder primers and projectiles, so I can stay independent from the market.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    It is true and unfettered capitalism. People argue in support of capitalism until they see it in a true form. When the laws of supply and demand control the price you have a true capitalist economy or market.

Not sure how it's called capitalism anymore...

I think the correct term would be Laissez-faire at this point.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I have also heard of places that will intentionally hold back stock in their store to make a shortage in order to keep the prices inflated. Kind of like OPEC.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    In a truly capitalist society, you cannot complain about people doing this. Suck it up and wait it out.

Then you cant complain about any of the other ways that are proving to us, that mankind is losing morality, more and more, as time marches on.

You most certainly CAN complain, if youve ever listened to stories of grandfathers, and fathers, and wish you could live in a world that even resembled that one.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Then you cant complain about any of the other ways that are proving to us, that mankind is losing morality, more and more, as time marches on.

You most certainly CAN complain, if youve ever listened to stories of grandfathers, and fathers, and wish you could live in a world that even resembled that one.

I'm 25 and I don't have to listen to stories.

I've watched the worst of the violently quick changes unfold in my lifetime and was aware of it throughout. Of course where I lived growing up was a bit behind the times, I didn't know what air conditioning was till I was well into double digits.

Hell, what I wouldn't give for things to go back to the way they were 15 years ago, minus the AWB.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    You guys have a funny notion of what capitalism is. OP said his relative was buying up the ammo before it hit the shelves, which means that the public never had access to it. Though not technically illegal, If this was being done with securities or stocks, it would be called insider trading. And I'm pretty sure if Wal-Mart knew about this certain employee's practices, they'd put an end to it pronto.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Amazing how those who sing the altruistic tune regarding guns and ammo sing a different tune when it comes to food and healthcare.

Top Bottom