• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    So my daughter's Nissan has green caps on the tire valve stems. That is supposed to mean there is Nitrogen in the tires instead of compressed air. She's had the car three years. I think when she gets the signal that one of the tires has low pressure, she just puts normal compressed air in it, as that is what is usually available at local gas stations. She now tells me the sensors are going off more and more. Nitrogen should be more stable when the ambient air temperature changes, so having more compressed air in could be why she is getting more tire pressure alerts now.
    Question is, where does one go to get nitrogen for the tires? I assume the dealers can do this, but they probably charge extra. Maybe it is not worth the hassle?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    A lot of the shops around here did away with the nitrogen fills. It wasn't cost effective for them. The slight benefits that were gained from the nitrogen were lost when you added regular air as most people did. Driving around to find a nitrogen place to top off your tires if you had a low one is not something anlot of people did. I think is is going the way of the undercoating on a new car.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So, she waits for the signal to add air? That's a good way to wear out the tires. The TPMS is designed to alert the driver when the tire is significantly low, like 25%. However, even 10% low tires can dramatically reduce the life by allowing the sidewall to flex excessively and generate heat had makes the compound brittle and damaged. Under normal driving, you should never get to the point where the indicator comes on. The more gadgets car gets, the less drivers can deal with basic car maintenance.

Replacing nitrogen with standard air mix should not have any effect on the TMPS. My suggestion is that you daughter invest in a good air gauge and inflate all the tires to the placard listed cold inflation pressure. Then check them regularly.

Nitrogen, IMHO, is a gimmick.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    She takes her car to the dealer (I know - sigh) for the regular maintenance items, and I assume they check the tire pressures, but I'll ask if she knows for sure. I expect the pressure to have dropped recently due to the cold weather, so that in itself may be why she is having the pressure monitor go off. She has about 50k on the car, which she bought new, still has the original tires.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I have 79% Nitrogen in my tires at all times. I won't use anything else. I think it's clearly the best.

Me too, though my mechanic suggested a 78% mix. It costs a little extra but it is definitely worth it. Just like the dihydrogen monoxide they use to clean the exterior.

Last edited:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I just used some NOS from my friends race car for my tires because I didn't know where to get them refilled with Nitrogen.

Now my tires sound funny. :dunno:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Please everybody, exercise some caution when using nitrogen, you might breath some in while filling your tires.
    Only use in a well ventilated area.
    If you experience eye watering, headache, feel dizzy or light headed please wear respiratory protection or leave the area.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    So, she waits for the signal to add air? That's a good way to wear out the tires.
    -Snip-

On my car, the pressure at which the warning light comes on can be adjusted.
    My tires call for 32psi and I have my warning set for 30psi and it works fine for me in ADDITION to checking it manually every so often.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Wasn't that all just a marketing scam? The air we breathe is 78% Nitrogen, so air from a regular air compressor fills the tires with 78% Nitrogen, correct?

Top Bottom