Greenfield Hamfest??? Testing available??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    My next endeavor is to try to get a HAM radio license. I think they call the beginner level a "technician" license, right?

I understand there will be testing available on 9/19/15 at the Greenfield/Hancock Co. HAMfest. I hope to take the test then & there if possible. Does anyone know who I can contact about that? I don't know if it is just walk-in or if I need to register to take the test.

Also, I need to study up for the test. Can anyone recommend any free test preparation resources? Any books I would be able to borrow from the library? Does anyone know what score is required to pass?

Any information or advice anyone can pass on would be appreciated.

:abused:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    My next endeavor is to try to get a HAM radio license. I think they call the beginner level a "technician" license, right?

I understand there will be testing available on 9/19/15 at the Greenfield/Hancock Co. HAMfest. I hope to take the test then & there if possible. Does anyone know who I can contact about that? I don't know if it is just walk-in or if I need to register to take the test.

Also, I need to study up for the test. Can anyone recommend any free test preparation resources? Any books I would be able to borrow from the library? Does anyone know what score is required to pass?

Any information or advice anyone can pass on would be appreciated.

:abused:

I have no problem, telling someone I know nothing about this, but I know you SHOULD study .....

Several members, here are ham op..... at least one, his "handle", is his user name .....

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Download the FREE Technician Class Study Guide from KB6NU's website. Then go to AA9PW FCC Exam Practice and take practice exams until you're hitting 90%. The Technician Exam is 35 questions, you have to get 26 correct...you can miss 9. Miss 10 and you pay to take it again. If the ARRL VEC is doing the exam, you'll need $15, photo ID, and it's always good to already have a FRN so you don't have to give them your SSN. Get your free FRN here: https://apps.fcc.gov/coresWeb/publicHome.do click on the word REGISTER. Good luck. Do you have a radio yet?

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    Download the FREE Technician Class Study Guide from KB6NU's website. Then go to AA9PW FCC Exam Practice and take practice exams until you're hitting 90%. The Technician Exam is 35 questions, you have to get 26 correct...you can miss 9. Miss 10 and you pay to take it again. If the ARRL VEC is doing the exam, you'll need $15, photo ID, and it's always good to already have a FRN so you don't have to give them your SSN. Get your free FRN here: https://apps.fcc.gov/coresWeb/publicHome.do click on the word REGISTER. Good luck. Do you have a radio yet?

No. I don't have a radio yet. I'm hoping some of the folks at the HAMfest can steer me in the right direction. Honestly, I don't even know for sure why I want a HAM radio other than it seems like a powerful capability to have. And, I just find it interesting. My cousin in MI got into it through his CERT organization and I guess some of his enthusiasm has rubbed off on me. I suppose I'll want to start out with a portable unit. But I think having a base station with an antennae way up on my flag pole would be fun to have. I know I would like to have a radio that can at least receive and preferably also transmit on the local fire department frequency. Although I think our FD may be going to 800mhz radios very soon.

Thanks for the tip on the FRN. I'll look into that.

Does anyone know someone or have a contact with the Hancock County Club that I could contact and ask about testing requirements? You radio guys proabaly have a way of making contact with a radio operator in Hancock County who could tell me whom to call.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    Here's the frequencies they have listed on their website: 145.33 444.45

Can any of you radio operators contact them to find out a phone number I can call? I want to find out if I have to register for the exam in advance, any documentation I need to bring, etc. Heck, I'm not even positive they are offering the testing there and then.

http://www.w9atg.org/

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Here's the frequencies they have listed on their website: 145.33 444.45

Can any of you radio operators contact them to find out a phone number I can call? I want to find out if I have to register for the exam in advance, any documentation I need to bring, etc. Heck, I'm not even positive they are offering the testing there and then.

http://www.w9atg.org/

That website sucks. The information is stale, and there isn't much new info about anything....even the hamfest ad at the top says 2014. Does the club even still exist?

Contact the Midstate Amateur Radio Club in Franklin and they test every third Saturday of the month at 9AM...walkins are fine. They are an ARRL VE team so they do charge $15 for the exam. Rhonda Curtis WS9H is the VE Team leader, you can email her if you want to.

The Indianapolis Radio Club also offers monthly testing as well.

Also check out Indyhams Website for up to date info on central Indiana amateur radio stuff. Bob W9BU and Mike N9FEB do a great job with this website.

According to Indyhams the Greenfield Hamfest will offer VE testing at 9AM, and walkins are welcome.

Last edited:

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    What to bring:

1. Photo ID with valid address
    2. Non programmable calculator (optional)
    3. Good attitude

Usually the VE team provides everything else. If you do not have an FRN you will have to use your SSN. Get the FRN.

Top Bottom