• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    If you're staying "strictly" in Greenwood, then USDS is out. They're in Indianapolis.
    And this is in NO way a put down. But don't get your hopes up too much.
    They are a great bunch of guys there, but they are a very new store. Meaning not a lot of inventory.

Also, if you're a straying a little outside of Greenwood, there's a new little shop just south on 135 (I don't recall the name) before Bargersville, and one right at Bargersville, and of course Indy Trading Post.
    Not in Greenwood??? Better check your map again. BUT thanks for the opportunity for me to give them a salacious plug while educating the masses. :)

US Defense Solutions[FONT=&amp]
    Guns-Knives-Ammo-Surplus-and more guns
    Like us on Facebook!

5329 Mount Pleasant North St
    Greenwood, IN 46142

[/FONT]

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    If you're staying "strictly" in Greenwood, then USDS is out. They're in Indianapolis.
    They are a great bunch of guys there, but they are a very new store. Meaning not a lot of inventory.

Also, if you're a straying a little outside of Greenwood, there's a new little shop just south on 135 (I don't recall the name) before Bargersville, and one right at Bargersville, and of course Indy Trading Post.

:orly:LOL, last I checked we were in Greenwood... either way there are a lot of good gun shops in our area to shop so come visit us all.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

Say whaaaaat!?
    They are very much in greenwood and they have a HUGE selection! There have been MANY times I've went into the larger shops looking for specific AR parts or mounts or lights, Ect and only USDS has had it! That includes the shop you WORK at. Nice try though.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Technically, USDS is not in Greenwood so Dirtbiker has a point there. It's in the unincorporated area west of Greenwood, just south of the county line. I'm about two miles east of USDS, also just south of county line and am about 100 yards outside of Greenwood. We use Greenwood as our mailing address, but we are fortunately not a part of Greenwood itself. Johnson County Sheriff is who you call when outside of Greenwood proper.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Say whaaaaat!?
    They are very much in greenwood and they have a HUGE selection! There have been MANY times I've went into the larger shops looking for specific AR parts or mounts or lights, Ect and only USDS has had it! That includes the shop you WORK at. Nice try though.
    I was talking about inventory of guns. Not parts.

And I don't work at any gun shop. I do help Brian and ITP at the gun shows.

I wasn't "trying" anything. The guy said "strictly" Greenwood, and that's what I was doing. Didn't mean to tick anyone off.

Like I said, they are all great guys there at USDS, they are a small shop, with a small inventory (of guns), but they are growing every day, and I hope they make it and stay around for a LONG time!

Sorry I said Indianapolis, they ARE in Johnson County. (I think! Lol)

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    Say whaaaaat!?

"Huge selection"? has the store grown that much in the last few months? If so, I've been missing out.I'm not putting USDS down in any way (and think its a great shop) but their not that big! I will admit, it's worth the price of admission just to pick Charlie's brain and try his Glock triggers.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Honey Creek? Nice enough shop, but from what I saw when I was in there, perhaps a little on the pricey side. To be fair though, I didn't look around a whole lot. I went there specifically to check out a couple of Enfields that I'd heard they had. On the way out I was just noticing the prices on some of their accessories (almost 9 bucks for a bottle of CLP :n00b:). Still worth a visit I would say, and they're more of a general sporting goods shop, with fishing, hunting and archery gear as well, a little like The Outdoorsman in that regard.

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Technically, USDS is not in Greenwood so Dirtbiker has a point there. It's in the unincorporated area west of Greenwood, just south of the county line. I'm about two miles east of USDS, also just south of county line and am about 100 yards outside of Greenwood. We use Greenwood as our mailing address, but we are fortunately not a part of Greenwood itself. Johnson County Sheriff is who you call when outside of Greenwood proper.

We are in Greenwood, stop it...lol

I was talking about inventory of guns. Not parts.

And I don't work at any gun shop. I do help Brian and ITP at the gun shows.

I wasn't "trying" anything. The guy said "strictly" Greenwood, and that's what I was doing. Didn't mean to tick anyone off.

Like I said, they are all great guys there at USDS, they are a small shop, with a small inventory (of guns), but they are growing every day, and I hope they make it and stay around for a LONG time!

Sorry I said Indianapolis, they ARE in Johnson County. (I think! Lol)

Last time I checked 200+ guns isnt a small inventory, just sayin...

"Huge selection"? has the store grown that much in the last few months? If so, I've been missing out.I'm not putting USDS down in any way (and think its a great shop) but their not that big! I will admit, it's worth the price of admission just to pick Charlie's brain and try his Glock triggers.

Yes we have, a couple months ago we maybe had 100 or so guns....so yea, we have grown a lot...

jdwhitak

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    I was at Elmore's this Saturday. As I was leaving I noticed a sign in the window that said, "Private Club Smoking Allowed". Can a place of business just declare themselves a private club?

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    I second Honey Creek bait and tackle. Jason is the owner , and he is very knowledgeable and always willing to show you anything on display. Kurt works there part time and He is awesome too. Dan

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I was at Elmore's this Saturday. As I was leaving I noticed a sign in the window that said, "Private Club Smoking Allowed". Can a place of business just declare themselves a private club?
    Evidently they can :).. Russ's shop, his rules.. I don't smoke but don't hesitate to go into Elmores. I'm not going to be there all day and the guys in there always treat me right. Just like PSS, if the smoking really troubles you it's your option not to go in. Personally I'm fed up with the Government trying to tell EVERYONE which way and how far. The free market has been the arbiter on what best business model works best for the last 200 years so why mess with a proven system?
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III mechanic [FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT]Certified Glock armorer
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT]1911 & M&P Mechanic

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    Straws aside how did the visit go?

The trip went very well actually!

First stop was USDS and I couldn't have been more impressed. While not the largest shop I've been in, the quality of products offered was top notch. Was greeted warmly as I walked in, even with 5 or 6 other customers in the joint. Talked to Charlie for a while about Glock triggers, and tried out some of his jobs... guys a genius lol... I had no idea a Glock could end up with that nice of a trigger. Browsed a while, and walked out with a couple of PMags. Great store and I will definitely be throwing them some more business in the near future.

Second was Elmore's. As I said, been there before, but still a great selection of firearms to drool over. Definitely didn't get the warm, fuzzy feeling I did at USDS lol. But hey, we all know gun stores aren't famous for giving you the royal treatment. Was gonna buy some ammo since they had a ton, but ammo prices were higher than ten hippies lol.

Third was The Outdoorsmen, again a nice selection of firearms, plus a lot of hunting stuff to check out. Prices were a little high here also but not completely out of this world.

Fourth, we decided to go ahead and run over to Beech Grove Firearms to give it a look. Nice store with good prices, but damn it was busy. Could barely find a spot to park. And the line for the range was nuts. I can see why people like going there though, I was definitely impressed with pricing and selection. Was going to pick up another magazine for my Shield, but it was just too busy and I didn't need one bad enough to wait on a clerk to get free.

And... drum roll please... GANDER MOUNTAIN. Trust me, this was purely to kill time waiting on the girls. Plus, I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. It's been about 2 years since I've been in GM, and was amazed at the vast array of guns, ammo, and gear they have now. But, if I thought Elmore's and The Outdoorsman were a little steep, GM made them look like the dollar store. I'm sure you can find a deal there... but one example was a used bone stock gen4 g27 for $599! Honestly, I walked through all the aisles and didn't see a good deal at all, but it was still nice to browse.

A good day all around. And my official best gun store in Greenwood vote goes to USDS. Customer service really does mean a lot to me. Mix that with good prices and quality inventory and that is my definition of a great shop.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I appreciate the props FireArmorer (unless your forgot the purple). I really enjoyed talking with you and look forward to seeing you and the 34 soon. Talking with "gun guys" always makes the day enjoyable and there's seldom a dull moment at USDS. :)

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III mechanic [FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT]Certified Glock armorer
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT]1911 & M&P Mechanic

Last edited:

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    ...had your paperwork double-checked by numbnuts from the camping department...

The only numbnuts who do double checks are managers and it's to make sure all the paperwork is right so customers don't have to come back because they forgot to sign a form or put the wrong name on their 4473 (yes, I've seen these while I was the numbnut doing a double check).

... a used bone stock gen4 g27 for $599!...

That gun was probably one of several overpriced used Glock's that were there when I was doing my training. Unfortunately used gun prices are fun. There's the price book to consult but ultimately the price is set by the employee that bought that gun, not corporate and not even the store manager. The firearms supervisor there acknowledged they were overpriced and would be hard to sell but the store's hands are tied because someone made a pricing mistake.

Top Bottom