• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WhatTheHill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Columbus, IN
    This past Tuesday my half and I decided to take a trip to Greenwood. Prior to leaving for greenwood I was standing in my bedroom trying to decide which 10-32 I would be conceal carrying on our trip. But then it hit me... The primary reason to go to greenwood was to go to the mall... and the mall has a no-gun policy. "Well ill just lock it up in my lock box I have in my car" I thought, but then I remembered... My car was in the shop and we would have to take the GF's Car. Well her car has no lock box. So between the fact that the mall was a no gun zone, and the fact that I couldn't lock up my gun, I decided to leave my beloved Glock at home. While spending time in Greenwood I was an absolute mess. And my GF could tell. I was paying attention to just about everyone but her (just don't tell her that). Keep in mind this was just 3 days after the orlando shooting so here I am sitting in Bdubs and I'm running scenarios through my head, watching everyones move, and I can't help but know that I am helpless in any self defense situation that may arise because I was unarmed. The walk through the mall was the same thing. Basically , my question is, what would you have done in my situation? would you have carried into the greenwood mall or left the gun at home? Is there anything that I could have done better to not be so defenseless? They say the day you decide to not carry is the day your gonna need it and Tuesday I was feeling like nothing could have been more true.

Also, sidenote, I DID see two people carrying while on my greenwood trip Tuesday and I want to say thank you as you both made me feel more comfortable. Armed citizen #1 was sitting at a table with his family at bdubs off of county line road in greenwood, Armed citizen #2 was walking through barnes and nobles with his kids. (Yes, I spotted your printing ;)) Anyway, I just wanted to see what the odds were that y'all were INGOers and I also wanted to say thank you for carrying.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Considering the mall is a GFZ I would not have shopped there, even if I did choose to go armed anyway. I don't spend money in businesses that are hostile to gun owners. I would have shopped someplace else. If that's absolutely out of the question and I'm forced to go for one reason or the other I would have went armed anyway. I will not disarm and walk about as an unarmed victim due to some pencil pushers policy or feel good rules. I don't see carrying a gun as a fashion statement, it's a tool to defend myself and family against the evils of society. That can't be done if it's not with me. The worst the mall can do is tell you to leave. That's much easier than what those that would do you harm can do. Besides, if I was ever told to leave a GFZ and never come back I don't think I'd be butthurt in any way. If they do it while SWMBO is with me then all the better, she won't want to go back either.

Summary: If I'm awake, I'm armed for my benefit and to hell with the businesses that don't like it.

WhatTheHill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Columbus, IN
    Thanks AngryRooster. I should've went armed anyway but didn't know how hostile simon security was about carrying in their GFZ. I believe I do pretty well at concealment but recently purchased a new carry gun and perfecting my concealment is something I've still got to work on. I wouldn't have went, but my half was wanting to go. :whip:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Carry anyway. In Indiana, no gun signs don't carry the weight of the law. If they see it and ask you to leave, you do just that. I try hard to avoid these places anyway.

Also, your people watching shouldn't be any different whether you are armed or not. Especially in a large place with many people around. Your situational awareness is the key to recognizing signs and/or problems BEFORE things get bad. You have a better chance of getting out of harms way before things get nasty.

WhatTheHill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Columbus, IN
    Carry anyway.

Also, your people watching shouldn't be any different whether you are armed or not. Especially in a large place with many people around. Your situational awareness is the key to recognizing signs and/or problems BEFORE things get bad. You have a better chance of getting out of harms way before things get nasty.

Completely agree. Thanks bigtanker.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I carry at the mall everytime. Conceal it and nobody is the wiser. Last time I went was for my GF's little neice's birthday gift at build a bear. No way I'd go unarmed.

I can't stand the mall though, so I understand your dilemma. Their security team won't do anything about something they don't know about :shady:

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I carry absolutely everywhere I can legally, where I won't be arrested if caught. If on private property and I was busted I would simply immediately stop what I was doing and leave.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I carry at the mall everytime. Conceal it and nobody is the wiser. Last time I went was for my GF's little neice's birthday gift at build a bear. No way I'd go unarmed.

I can't stand the mall though, so I understand your dilemma. Their security team won't do anything about something they don't know about :shady:

I carry absolutely everywhere I can legally, where I won't be arrested if caught. If on private property and I was busted I would simply immediately stop what I was doing and leave.

^^^These^^^ I carry "kinda" concealed most of the time (t-shirt over my gun, but I don't worry about printing) and have never had an issue.

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    I was just there yesterday and a few other times before and I carried. Paul Blart are too busy zipping around on their segways to notice.

Ditto this
    I carry there evertime I'm there, and also at the outlet in Edinburgh. I just make sure to steer clear if Simon youth foundation. ( not sure if thats considered a school)

Taylor22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 3, 2016
    Morgan county
    Once when I was 18 I was OC'ing in that mall and some smartass mall cops stopped me and demanded to see my LTCH and ID. I called the cops and the gun-friendly officer told white shirt boys to pound sand as they couldn't legally demand my ID's.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I, too, will not disarm for a sign that holds no weight. I also will not enter and give them any of my money for their typically overpriced goods. Wal-Mart and Kroger for food and other everyday stuff, and eBay gets the rest. The LGS also gets it fair share of my money in guns and ammo.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    As others have said, cover it up and carry away. Screw their little policy.

Also, going without a pistol doesn't mean you are completely defenseless. A gun is just one tool in what should be a multi layered self-defense strategy.

You should also be carrying a good flashlight which can be used to disorient and/or strike a potential attacker. You should also have a decent knife with you at all times. And finally you have a brain, hands and feet. How you use those tools can vary based on your training.

A gun should be just one option of many. That's why a well-rounded training regiment should be part of your self-defense plan.

MemphisR32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Westfield
    Indiana the signs don't mean anything. No way I'm going in a mall not armed. Honestly unless your open carrying I highly doubt anyone will notice. Even if you were open carrying they likely wouldn't notice anyway.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I guess things have probably changed at GPM. I OC'd there for a long time without any issues... then one time a mall security guy (older man) just came over and asked if I could cover it with my shirt. I abided because he was cool about it. But again, this was probably 5 or so years back.

I've OC'd at stores attached to the mall now, but not inside mall-proper. I'm guessing they're less cool these days.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I guess things have probably changed at GPM. I OC'd there for a long time without any issues... then one time a mall security guy (older man) just came over and asked if I could cover it with my shirt. I abided because he was cool about it. But again, this was probably 5 or so years back.

I've OC'd at stores attached to the mall now, but not inside mall-proper. I'm guessing they're less cool these days.

Simon Mall Properties have been posted gun-free zones for years upon years.

Top Bottom