• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I just got back from Montana, and I thought I would share some of the pictures I took. I didn't bring my sidearm with me; these pictures are pretty much all scenery. While I was there I went skiing at Big Sky and visited Yellowstone. Enjoy!

dxh1mq.jpg

^This was the view from the patio on my bedroom. Lone Mountain, aka, what I was skiing down for half a week.

2lmwgh2.jpg

^The view from partway up Lone Mountain.

2iw7q1d.jpg

^Old Faithful.

59vjwo.jpg

^This sign was posted on door of the visitor's center that is next to Old Faithful. Carry is legal in national parks, but not in buildings where federal employees work, i.e. a visitor center in a national park. Sigh...

4rzsrp.jpg

^A herd of bison. It's impressive to be this close to such big animals with nothing keeping you apart.

2mxet6x.jpg

^A single bison.

213hngn.jpg

^A closeup of Sapphire Pool. This is a well known (and incredibly beautiful) pool of super-hot water. Although the water temperature is over boiling, it's large surface area prevents it from creating the bubbles one typically associates with boiling. The blue color is caused by a refraction of the light from the sky. Apparently other species see this pool in different colors because their eyes are different than ours.

9aqzw2.jpg

^Another pool of water with a brilliant blue color.

s26yk8.jpg

^This is a picture of some pine trees near a pool of boiling mud. The brown tree was healthy a year ago, but since then the vent of extreme heat from down below shifted towards the tree and cooked it's roots.

tam0bp.jpg

^A closeup of the boiling mud.

120qqmw.jpg

^A raven breaking into an unattended backpack. Ravens are very intelligent birds, and they are able to open backpacks that are closed with zippers or even velcro in search of food or shiny objects. Our guide said he has seen them fly away with digital cameras!

16c26hz.jpg

^A beautiful waterfall at Yellowstone.

i43jo0.jpg

^ Our snow coach. A 15-passenger van with a V-10 engine and mattracks instead of wheels. Capable of crashing through a 6-8 foot drift, it is one of only two ways you can see Yellowstone in the winter; the other being snowmobile.

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    Id love to move there, i hear in the boonies you can get incredible deals on land....away from all the hussle and bussle...lol

Thanks for sharing!

Top Bottom