Not open for further replies.

Dave McD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2023
    Monticello
    Good evening, Dave here.

I'm a retired police officer (and other things). Stroke survivor. Motorcycle rider and racer (not a "biker"). Muscle car owner / racer. Member at Wildcat Valley Rifle & Pistol Club.

Over the years, I've participated in:

"Combat Pistol" (local range in Bloomington, when I was in college)
    PPC (Dallas Police Pistol Team)
    Bullseye (Indiana State Police Pistol Team)
    IDPA
    Silhouette
    High Power
    Skeet
    Trap
    Sporting Clays

I'm now looking to try Benchrest. A few weeks ago, I went to Ohio for Tom Sarver's 1,000 yard Benchrest school at Thunder Valley Precision. What a gas! First time ever at 1,000 yards. It was easier than I thought it would be. (To HIT the target, not necessarily to be competitive!)

If there's a comprehensive, up-to-date list of Benchrest competitions in the area, please post me a link! My "Googling" is turning up so many old calendars, defunct club links, etc., that it's getting pretty frustrating. (No, I haven't searched here yet, and I will; I just like asking real people when I can.)

It looks like you've got a pretty active forum here; that's encouraging! I gave up all news and social media in 2020; it was just too infuriating and depressing. My mental health is a lot better, but I can be pretty uninformed sometimes.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Thanks man, that feels extremely welcoming; seriously.
    We have quite a few current and former L.E.O. on here, I'm not among them, but most are highly respected in these parts.
    Anyone with your firearms background is sure to have valuable information to share with this community and we consume a LOT of information here.
    We are also quite the dysfunctional family.
    We have our spats, but overall this is a wonderful site that can be an invaluable source for not just information, but entertainment, and comradery.
    Keep your boots handy because it gets deep in here on occasion.
    If you retired L.E.O. I'm guessing you've had time to grow a thick skin.

Don't take things personal here and have fun.
    I'm going on 14 years here now and it just gets better with age.

Dave McD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2023
    Monticello
    Sounds good, and I'm glad to help with any advice I can provide. I'm pretty new to rifles, but had a lot of handgun experience over the years. I was a firearms instructor for ISP, and Defensive Tactic instructor in Dallas.

If it's not against the rules to post outside links, here's a thread I created on Graybeard Outdoors several years ago (2007), regarding one of my oddball police experiences. There are some pretty "out there" comments in the thread, but it's still an interesting topic, if not strictly "gun-related". https://www.go2gbo.com/threads/the-sense-of-evil.98476/

As far as I can tell, it is the most often read thread on that site. I'm kind of proud that it's still getting looks.

purdue98

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2015
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Good evening, Dave here.

I'm a retired police officer (and other things). Stroke survivor. Motorcycle rider and racer (not a "biker"). Muscle car owner / racer. Member at Wildcat Valley Rifle & Pistol Club.

Over the years, I've participated in:

"Combat Pistol" (local range in Bloomington, when I was in college)
    PPC (Dallas Police Pistol Team)
    Bullseye (Indiana State Police Pistol Team)
    IDPA
    Silhouette
    High Power
    Skeet
    Trap
    Sporting Clays

I'm now looking to try Benchrest. A few weeks ago, I went to Ohio for Tom Sarver's 1,000 yard Benchrest school at Thunder Valley Precision. What a gas! First time ever at 1,000 yards. It was easier than I thought it would be. (To HIT the target, not necessarily to be competitive!)

If there's a comprehensive, up-to-date list of Benchrest competitions in the area, please post me a link! My "Googling" is turning up so many old calendars, defunct club links, etc., that it's getting pretty frustrating. (No, I haven't searched here yet, and I will; I just like asking real people when I can.)

It looks like you've got a pretty active forum here; that's encouraging! I gave up all news and social media in 2020; it was just too infuriating and depressing. My mental health is a lot better, but I can be pretty uninformed sometimes.
    Welcome Neighbor. Oxford,IN

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Well, Hello Dave McD. Great first post. Looks like you’ve found yourself a home.

Welcome to INGO, now for the serious business.

”You will of course let us know when the Walleye bite” turns on over there won’t you? I’m a bit northwest of you, I’ll let you know when I find my first mushroom.

Again Howdy n Welcome.

Dave McD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2023
    Monticello
    Thank y'all, I am humbled! (As a former Texan, I'm allowed to say y'all!)

I'll try to let you know, Mij! I live right on the Tippecanoe. Last year, the small mouth bass were back in force. I guess the Asian Carp ate themselves out of all the greenery, and left the area, because the water down here's clean and productive again. The bass were small last year (but quite aggressive!), but this year they should be bigger. Walleye always seem to catch me by surprise. You know we're catching MUSKIE down here now? I thought the one they were catching at Oakdale Dam was a fluke loner, but they've pulled up large ones downriver from me, too. (I'm about a mile south of the dam.)

Kinda makes hanging through an inner tube a little more exciting....

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom