• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Ramius35

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Hi Guys and girls. I'm a South African searching for knowledge. Hope to find some insights here. Kind regards Ramius35.

Ramius35

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Thanks for the welcome! I'm looking to buy a Raven Concealment holster for a 1975 browning HP That I'd like to EDC. I know this is an old model but she's in brilliant condition and has a great deal of sentimental value! I want to know if any one else uses the same set-up and if they have any advise?

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    What are gun laws like in South Africa? Do you need any type of permit or license? Any other general ownership info would be cool, too.

Ramius35

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Where would you like me to start! Our current laws require us to first go through a qualification (education process) standard, that if you comply with a string of requirements you are issued with what is known as a competency certificate. Once you've acquired the (Competency relevant to the fire arm your applying for i.e competency for shotgun separate to handgun,separate to rifle.) competency certificate only then are you allowed to apply for the specific fire arm licence. Now this sounds in theory like it could be a fairly simple process, however... In some cases due to backlogs and incompetence these Certificates take up to four years (or more) to issue. Keeping in mind that these certificates are currently only valid for a total duration of five years. As for licensing, this process takes even longer in some cases (Personally I've waited 4 years to get my .22LR licensed.) As for licenses they too have expiration dates on them, Self defence guns: renewed every 5 years, hunting and sport shooting guns; every 10 years. I'm sure that the process has it's own merit however in some cases people feel that it's just a plot to de arm the citizen's of our country. Just a footnote, if you want to license a gun you have to motivated your reasons for the application, this means supplying a fair amount of documentation substantiating your claims for the application of the gun. A common self defence motivation could be anything from 35 pages long, including news paper reports on crime statistics, photos of your safe mounted and ballistic reports on your chosen calibre. Hope this shed some light on our situation.

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    Where would you like me to start! Our current laws require us to first go through a qualification (education process) standard, that if you comply with a string of requirements you are issued with what is known as a competency certificate. Once you've acquired the (Competency relevant to the fire arm your applying for i.e competency for shotgun separate to handgun,separate to rifle.) competency certificate only then are you allowed to apply for the specific fire arm licence. Now this sounds in theory like it could be a fairly simple process, however... In some cases due to backlogs and incompetence these Certificates take up to four years (or more) to issue. Keeping in mind that these certificates are currently only valid for a total duration of five years. As for licensing, this process takes even longer in some cases (Personally I've waited 4 years to get my .22LR licensed.) As for licenses they too have expiration dates on them, Self defence guns: renewed every 5 years, hunting and sport shooting guns; every 10 years. I'm sure that the process has it's own merit however in some cases people feel that it's just a plot to de arm the citizen's of our country. Just a footnote, if you want to license a gun you have to motivated your reasons for the application, this means supplying a fair amount of documentation substantiating your claims for the application of the gun. A common self defence motivation could be anything from 35 pages long, including news paper reports on crime statistics, photos of your safe mounted and ballistic reports on your chosen calibre. Hope this shed some light on our situation.
    Wow! I couldn't imagine having to jump through all those hoops. Good luck choosing a holster and stay safe over there!:yesway:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom