• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    So, I am sitting at a local civic meeting listening to a presentation by Valpo University police about response to an active shooter situation. After the meeting, he, call him Bob (the guy at my table, not the speaker...he was cool) starts going off on me about "gun show loopholes" and about how the aurora co jerk had access to purchasing hand grenades and used Them to wire the apartment etc, and that you could buy grenades on the Internet as well as explosives. He then goes on to send me a referral on the Internet to autoweapons.com showing the 40 MM grenade attachments etc, but I do not see a dangerous round available unless you are allergic to smoke or marker chalk..

So the question before I respond to him in a snarky manner is this...
    Is it possible to obtain actual hand grenades and/or H.E. rounds for the 40 MM launcher? Aren't all explosive devices (c4, TNT etc.) tracked and regulated? If so, how did he get those apartment bombs to use... Or was it just homebrew type explosives ?

(Geesh, just posting this could be a problem I suppose but Libtard Bob really pi**ed me off... With ignorance)

P.S.... Dear mr. ATF , I am not interested in any devices other than those propelling my little pieces of lead down range at a high speed... Just saying... :D

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    So, I am sitting at a local civic meeting listening to a presentation by Valpo University police about response to an active shooter situation. After the meeting, he, call him Bob (the guy at my table, not the speaker...he was cool) starts going off on me about "gun show loopholes" and about how the aurora co jerk had access to purchasing hand grenades and used Them to wire the apartment etc, and that you could buy grenades on the Internet as well as explosives. He then goes on to send me a referral on the Internet to autoweapons.com showing the 40 MM grenade attachments etc, but I do not see a dangerous round available unless you are allergic to smoke or marker chalk..

So the question before I respond to him in a snarky manner is this...
    Is it possible to obtain actual hand grenades and/or H.E. rounds for the 40 MM launcher? Aren't all explosive devices (c4, TNT etc.) tracked and regulated? If so, how did he get those apartment bombs to use... Or was it just homebrew type explosives ?

(Geesh, just posting this could be a problem I suppose but Libtard Bob really pi**ed me off... With ignorance)

P.S.... Dear mr. ATF , I am not interested in any devices other than those propelling my little pieces of lead down range at a high speed... Just saying... :D

gotta love the un-informed libtards!

AtlasDM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2012
    Unless it's a black market deal or a set-up I can't imagine that it would be possible for civilians to acquire that sort of thing. I know some states have looser regulations than others but to buy them online? C'mon. Everything you do online gets tracked, there's no way someone could buy grenades online and not send up a few red flags.

For info purposes though, there are other theories on how an unemployed college student came across his hardware.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk6OOvgjYdY&bpctr=1354226222[/ame]

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Everything is tracked. No relatively easy way to get factory made HE, but with a little technical know-how and perhaps the right military training behind you, you could surely get nearly identical result with home made...

Sounds like he's been believing everything the liberal media feeds him a bit much.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I thought you could get explosive rounds or rockets, but each one is considered a DD and requires Federal paperwork, just like you would have to do for any Class III device.

So the price per round + $200 tax stamp + at least 6 months waiting with various law enforcement sign offs = not so easy to get.

According to most of the articles I have seen, Holmes had made homebrew explosives and had additional had 10 gallons of gasoline in his apartment.

So, no, he wasn't buying HE and military hand grenades online.

Here is the Huffington Post article about it. The HuffPost is about as liberal as they come and definitely not pro-gun, and even they admit his explosives were all home made.

James Holmes' Apartment Had Over 30 Grenades, 10 Gallons Of Gasoline (VIDEO, PHOTOS)

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I thought you could get explosive rounds or rockets, but each one is considered a DD and requires Federal paperwork, just like you would have to do for any Class III device.

So the price per round + $200 tax stamp + at least 6 months waiting with various law enforcement sign offs = not so easy to get.

According to most of the articles I have seen, Holmes had made homebrew explosives and had additional had 10 gallons of gasoline in his apartment.

So, no, he wasn't buying HE and military hand grenades online.

Here is the Huffington Post article about it. The HuffPost is about as liberal as they come and definitely not pro-gun, and even they admit his explosives were all home made.

James Holmes' Apartment Had Over 30 Grenades, 10 Gallons Of Gasoline (VIDEO, PHOTOS)
    This ^^^

While technically legal to buy explosive ordnance if you have the proper storage bunkers per ATF guidelines, good luck finding somebody to sell them to you.

If you do find somebody you have to pay a $200 tax stamp and wait for ATF approval as they transfer similar to any other NFA weapon.

xryan.jacksonx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    Anytime you hear someone use the phrase "gun show loophole" outside of the sentence "There is no such thing as a gun show loophole." you can rest assured that they are an idiot.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    they are very regulated, and probably not impossible to own (depending on the state), the cost would not be worth it. As stated, there are plenty of places you can go online and make your own, or even books that can show you how. Heck, im willing to bet youtube has tons of videos about it.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    in the basement, under the flawless concrete, in the bag full of guns, passports, and 20 different currencies.

Man, now i have to move my "go" bag. Geez, next ill hide it in the ceiling, or in someplace that will be abandoned 5 years from now, so it will still be safe there,

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    Dear Mr ATF agent,

I know this guy, uh, we'll call him Doug. He's a grape cigar smoking ne're-do'ell type. Says he knows the law better than cops do. Well he wants to . . .​

Hmm don't know the idiot.... But he deserves full incarceration for a long period of time to get him off those GRAPIE'S!!!

And yes MOST of the time I do know the law better... It's not just a job, it's an adventure !!!!

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    ok, kinda off topic but not too far...... what about the 37mm launchers? I know that the 40mm are considered a DD and must be registered as such but a 37mm is not. from what I have managed to learn on my own so far if you are going to use any "Anti-Personnel" ammunition in a 37mm it must be registered as a DD. I have seen OC CS and even CN gas rounds available for the 37mm. as far as I can tell the ATF does not consider a gas round (as far as my reading had dug up) an anti-personnel round like it would a bean bag round or rubber batton round. can civilians obtain the gas rounds for a 37mm launcher or are we stuck with smoke bombs flares and fireworks?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    My guess is that you probably can order explosive munitions via the internet. The only caveat is that you should be prepared for a bait and switch ending up with, instead of explosive ordnance a long-term vacation from one of the nation's largest providers of lodgings--Club Fed.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    ok, kinda off topic but not too far...... what about the 37mm launchers? I know that the 40mm are considered a DD and must be registered as such but a 37mm is not. from what I have managed to learn on my own so far if you are going to use any "Anti-Personnel" ammunition in a 37mm it must be registered as a DD. I have seen OC CS and even CN gas rounds available for the 37mm. as far as I can tell the ATF does not consider a gas round (as far as my reading had dug up) an anti-personnel round like it would a bean bag round or rubber batton round. can civilians obtain the gas rounds for a 37mm launcher or are we stuck with smoke bombs flares and fireworks?

It looks like the ATF would consider a 37mm launcher firing tear gas canisters as an AOW, requiring a $5 tax stamp.

ATF Online - Firearms - Guides - Identification of Firearms

ClassificationAny Other WeaponDistinctive Characteristics Any tear gas device capable of chambering and firing any self-contained cartridge. Even though the device may destroy itself in firing, it is still a firearm under the National Firearms Act.
    Rate of Transfer Tax$5.00

Top Bottom