• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    I am interested in the Faxon - how are your groups?
    I am a huge 6.5 Grendel fan. I think it's one of the best mid-range cartridges available. The magazine issue is one of the most discussed frustrations people have with the caliber, whether it's a lack of capacity (for those who want 30 rounders) or reliability (Stoner vs. AA vs. C Products, etc.).

I'm currently researching using these magazines (once they figure out the spring issue) with a PSA KS-47 lower and 12.5" upper chambered in 65G as the "best of all worlds" carbine for me.

I was hoping to light the INGO world on fire with this revelation, but it's still in the works, and this post seemed like a good place to bring it up. I've emailed Csspecs about this idea, waiting to hear back.

For barrels, I've been very happy with Faxon. For BCGs, I've had zero issues with Tool Craft.

The 6.5 Grendel forum is another resource for knowledge.

Lastly, these guys are working on a 6.5 Grendel AK. Evocatus Strategic.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Ok guys school me.....I am considering dumping the .223 barrel on my "space gun" in favor of 6.5G ......nobody at my club shoots one, no one I know shoots one, my .223 does well at short range 200/300 yards, but I just fight it going mid range or XTC......unfortunately I do not get to shoot XTC very offten so being able to ask those guys is kinda out,but I do get to shoot short range weekly. What match grade barrel would you suggest ?
    After shooting service rifle for a while I got the chance to grab an older "space gun" and I only have shoot a few matches with it, so I am in need of learning!

Give me information ! This thread came at just the right time.....

While I'm asking what dies do you guys like? What is your brass life like?

Aaron

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Supposedly the brownells.com branded barrels are satern. Satern had a blowout of the unbranded barrels a month ago explaining the branding change.

Do a little 'digging' on those Brownell-Satern barrels. They sound good but there seem to be mixed results. From just what I read today so, YMMV and :twocents: and all that.

:ingo:

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Question for the 6.5G hog hunters: I’m hoping to take a trip next year with a few friends. I was planning on taking my 18” barreled AR. I’m assuming that’s the right call?

I’m actually tempted to get the LaRue Ultimate Upper Kit in 18” 6.5G for the occasion and let one of my friends borrow what I have already built.

luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    Question for the 6.5G hog hunters: I’m hoping to take a trip next year with a few friends. I was planning on taking my 18” barreled AR. I’m assuming that’s the right call?

I’m actually tempted to get the LaRue Ultimate Upper Kit in 18” 6.5G for the occasion and let one of my friends borrow what I have already built.

An 18" will work for sure. Any Grendel will get the job done, as long as you do your part. You might want to build several lengths, as an experiment, and get back to us.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I have an 18” and 12” from Faxon. I think I was using this as an excuse to get the LaRue!

Grendel is by far my favorite hog round. I run a 12.5 since I’m using a suppressor, but wouldn’t hesitate to rock a 16 or 18 if I didn’t have a can hanging off the end.

If you haven’t done a suppressor yet, I would use your hunt as an excuse to get one ordered! High volume shooting often without time to put in your ear pro? Perfect for a suppressor. Plus it allows you to literally hear whether or not you connected when shooting fast movers. Oddly enough, a round hitting a hog sounds just like you would think a baseball bat hitting a tire sounds like.

And you already have the perfect gun to suppress for the job, a 12” Grendel!

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Grendel is by far my favorite hog round. I run a 12.5 since I’m using a suppressor, but wouldn’t hesitate to rock a 16 or 18 if I didn’t have a can hanging off the end.

If you haven’t done a suppressor yet, I would use your hunt as an excuse to get one ordered! High volume shooting often without time to put in your ear pro? Perfect for a suppressor. Plus it allows you to literally hear whether or not you connected when shooting fast movers. Oddly enough, a round hitting a hog sounds just like you would think a baseball bat hitting a tire sounds like.

And you already have the perfect gun to suppress for the job, a 12” Grendel!

A suppressor is also in the mix, most likely a YHM Resonator.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I run an 18 inch barrel with a suppressor. Using a night stalker tripod makes it easily manageable.
    Admittedly, most of my hog hunting has been in the thick swamps, so my view is pretty skewed that direction. No doubt if you’re hunting the fields that would an excellent setup!
    A suppressor is also in the mix, most likely a YHM Resonator.
    I have one of those. Very impressive for the price point. I don’t really see any advantage in my Sig can over it, despite it being almost twice the cost.

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Admittedly, most of my hog hunting has been in the thick swamps, so my view is pretty skewed that direction. No doubt if you’re hunting the fields that would an excellent setup!

I have one of those. Very impressive for the price point. I don’t really see any advantage in my Sig can over it, despite it being almost twice the cost.

If only someone had them in stock...

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I've had my Grendel for over 3 years now and I've never shot it. I really don't know why either. The 24" bull upper with brake came from Hardened Arms (who recently closed their doors) out of Washington and the lower is a legit INGO lower. I put a Geissele G2S in it. I think the optic is a Vortex Crossfire 3-9. The bipod mount was only there for the photo. This thing is not light.
    20160818_215722.jpg

Top Bottom