• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I just ditched my XD sub-compact in favor of a new M&P40c. I really liked the grip on my XD because I had found a grip tape kit for it that made it basically stick to your hand.

Does anyone know of a similar kit for an M&P compact? If not, what kind of general purpose tape works well for this application?

Thanks

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    I've got some skateboard tape on my frontstrap that works really well.It sticks well and stays "sharp" for a long time. My pistol has an alloy frame, but I don't know how well it would stay stuck on a polymer frame.

PM me an addr. and I'll send you a chunk. You'll have to cut it to shape of course.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I've got some skateboard tape on my frontstrap that works really well.It sticks well and stays "sharp" for a long time. My pistol has an alloy frame, but I don't know how well it would stay stuck on a polymer frame.

PM me an addr. and I'll send you a chunk. You'll have to cut it to shape of course.

That's mighty kind of you, I'll take you up on that offer!

Last edited:

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    If you mess it up you can get some 3M grip tape from menards (tell the you need it for steps and they will know what you want and take you right to it)

bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    AKA: IN_Sheeppuppy
    I bought a roll of step tape for an RV or pool steps from wally world for less than $5, I think, I don't use it for grip, I put it on my slide for assistance with press checks or one handed reloads.

But, if you're brave enough, you could always stipple your m&p! I did mine and love it, it just takes lots and lots of patence...

trpsteelnuts

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I agree with Jtgarner. 3M grip tape works great. I got it on 4 Glocks and an AR. It doesn't peel off, but it is very course and will eat your skin so be careful when you carry.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Skate tape fan here.
    Got it on everything from a Rock Island to a Kimber.
    Stays where you want it without moving, yet easily removable when you want (with no residue left behind...).

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    You put skate tape on a Kimber?

I did. Right on the front strap.

IMG_1202.jpg

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    You put skate tape on a Kimber? Blasphemy.

When it comes down to it, guns are tools. Skate tape, Safety tape, and whatever other kind of tape that works, are a cheap way to enhance the grip you have on that tool. I know that if my hands get muddy, bloody, or anything in between, I'm gonna have a good grip on it. Even if some would say its blasphemous.

Bmrdude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    How to: My method. Start with a sheet of paper... make pattern. Have gun and tape at warm room temperature. Peel and stick the tape, wrap a tube sock or other 12" to 24" fabric around handle and tape so it's pretty snug. Wrap a few rounds of duct tape around grip & over the fabric. Let sit overnight, then unwrap. Basically you are just applying even pressure around the grip to get the grip tape to adhere. The fabric keeps the duct-tape and grip tape from sticking themselves together.

matt4shadow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Hobart
    Take a piece of paper, put it over your grip. Rub a crayon over it. This should give you an outline. Cut the outline and place over skate tape. I use this method for everything.

POST ABOVE MINE IS GOOD TOO.

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    How to: My method. Start with a sheet of paper... make pattern. Have gun and tape at warm room temperature. Peel and stick the tape, wrap a tube sock or other 12" to 24" fabric around handle and tape so it's pretty snug. Wrap a few rounds of duct tape around grip & over the fabric. Let sit overnight, then unwrap. Basically you are just applying even pressure around the grip to get the grip tape to adhere. The fabric keeps the duct-tape and grip tape from sticking themselves together.

I guess maybe all that is necessary because of the type of material your frame is made from.

I'm using Black Diamond Skateboard tape on the front grip strap of a Teflon finnished Light Weight Colt Commander frame (a way worse blasphemy than on a Kimber :D). First I clean the area well with brake cleaner, then peel and stick. Stays on great.

BowhuntnHoosier

Angry Old Conservative Fart
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Terre Haute
    I used Talon Grips which is like skate tape. And had issues when I left my gun in my glove box at work in the heat of day. Anyone else have this problem? If so did you ever figure out a solution? Thanks. I have some Pachmeyer wraparound on my Glock right now.

Top Bottom