• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Ok so I am not a fan of a smooth front strap. I really prefer a nice 25 lpi. So I am going to ask grip tape on a 1911? Any one try it does it look and function ok?

Thanks

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I use Hogue finger groove grips, on all of mine. They work perfectly. I think Packmayr still makes the walnut grips with attached finger grooves if you really need wood panels.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    It slides under the grip panels so their thickness probably won't make much difference...
    It’s moreso the bushings I was concerned with. The description says it’s a wraparound part (although it doesn’t appear to be in the photo) and I wanted to make sure the shorter bushings used with thin panels wouldn’t make it impossible to put the grips back on once the part is installed.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    It’s moreso the bushings I was concerned with. The description says it’s a wraparound part (although it doesn’t appear to be in the photo) and I wanted to make sure the shorter bushings used with thin panels wouldn’t make it impossible to put the grips back on once the part is installed.
    Shouldn't matter. It will only push up the leading edge of the grip panels. You should have plenty of "screw" to tighten the panels.

You could always contact them if you want to confirm before placing an order.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Would you happen to know if this works with thin grip panels?

I didn't have much luck with these on my Ruger SR1911 Commander. I think it was because the side tabs didn't go very far under the grips, and the grip was flexible rubber (stock grips). I imagine grips made of more rigid material like wood or hard plastic would do fine, but I wanted to keep the stock grips.

Now that I look closer at that ad, I see it says for full-size government models, so maybe that's why? But I thought my commander took the same grips. I'll have to check now.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Would you happen to know if this works with thin grip panels?
    They work with thick or thin grip panels. I had one on my Springfield LW Loaded and it fit and worked great. They are made for full size government frames so a little modification is needed to fit the commander frames. They wrap around into the frame holes on either side and the grip secures it. The frame hole is smaller on the commander than the government is why the need for slight modification.
    I'm not sure if they make a commander size specific but a phone call to WC would clear that up.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    They work with thick or thin grip panels. I had one on my Springfield LW Loaded and it fit and worked great. They are made for full size government frames so a little modification is needed to fit the commander frames. They wrap around into the frame holes on either side and the grip secures it. The frame hole is smaller on the commander than the government is why the need for slight modification.
    I'm not sure if they make a commander size specific but a phone call to WC would clear that up.

I must be missing something, or I bought a different type. Mine only stuck under the grip panel about 1/8", not nearly to the grip screw. I need to look into this because I was really excited about getting some front strap grippiness. I was so sure it would work that I bought 3 sets. Egaads!

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    Good to know because I was considering it for a combat commander. I checked their website and it looks like that’s the only model, so I’ll probably just go with the Talon front strap for now. I should have just asked Allen to do it when he was working on the gun. I had wrap-around Pachmyers on at the time and didn’t even think about it :ugh:.

Last edited:

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    I must be missing something, or I bought a different type. Mine only stuck under the grip panel about 1/8", not nearly to the grip screw. I need to look into this because I was really excited about getting some front strap grippiness. I was so sure it would work that I bought 3 sets. Egaads!

I couldn’t find an install video on YouTube but there was one that showed the part pre-install and it definitely wouldn’t reach the grip screws. I think you’re good, you just might need to do some light filing if you put them on a commander.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country

Not sure why that would've happened. The one I bought wrapped completely around and had about 1/16" that folded over and perfectly fit into the side holes in the frame. The G10 grips I was using at the time clamped down perfectly to hold it tightly in place. Wish I could give you a reason for your unfortunate situation but all I have is my experience to go off of.

Thank God they were inexpensive, yes?

Top Bottom