• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    Came across this Griptillian mod today and thought it was interesting. Never used a wave before, but the concept is simple enough. If you are familiar with waves, it goes without saying that this mod is not reversible!

[video=youtube;5gy5R8XjM0M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gy5R8XjM0M[/video]

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    You can do the same thing with a zip tie without ruining your blade.

[video=youtube_share;6nRPRAnJbzg]http://youtu.be/6nRPRAnJbzg[/video]

Citizen 5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Warsaw
    I have seen knives that were kinda like that and had wondered what the purpose was. It seems like this would be rather hard on the back corner of your pocket in the long-term, though. My pockets get worn out enough from just the clips on my knives/lights. But it does make for a cool deployment.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    In a stress situation where your actually depending on your knife as a last resort or actual self defense tool the wave is where it's at. Ernie knows what he is doing when it comes to knives and self defense. If any of you guys watch or take mercops training you will see people struggle with getting their folders open when placed in a high stress environment. the wave allows you to do it so much easier. definitely not a novelty!

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    In a stress situation where your actually depending on your knife as a last resort or actual self defense tool the wave is where it's at.

Wouldn't you want a fixed blade in situations described above? It's open as soon as it's out of your sheath, and you don't get the clicking sound alerting potential baddie in a self defense situation.

BuddieReigns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Muncie
    Wouldn't you want a fixed blade in situations described above? It's open as soon as it's out of your sheath, and you don't get the clicking sound alerting potential baddie in a self defense situation.
    I agree. I feel a fixed blade is better, and it is just my view, but I like to carry either in the belt at a 45 degree angle or handle down to give me the ability to slash as I draw my knife. It's kind of like the idea of a samurai drawing and attacking as one action.
    Like this (sorry for crappy pic, but it's hard to photo that area or yourself well):
    IMG_20130824_164714_972.jpg

or this:
    IMG_0029.jpg

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

It's the same concept as why people carry compact concealed pistols. It's a compromise. If you knew you were heading to a fight, you'd opt for a long gun or at the very least a full sized pistol. Folders are just easier to EDC for most. I usually carry either an assisted open Kershaw or a Cold Steel with a wave in addition to a fixed blade neck knife inside my shirt.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    The wave feature was a secondary function of the wave. Rumor has it that some people wanted a last ditch folder that could have a stopper for penetration...then they discovered the "wave" function on accident.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    In a stress situation where your actually depending on your knife as a last resort or actual self defense tool the wave is where it's at. Ernie knows what he is doing when it comes to knives and self defense. If any of you guys watch or take mercops training you will see people struggle with getting their folders open when placed in a high stress environment. the wave allows you to do it so much easier. definitely not a novelty!

Solution to a.problem that does not exist.

:scratch:

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    The wave feature was a secondary function of the wave. Rumor has it that some people wanted a last ditch folder that could have a stopper for penetration...then they discovered the "wave" function on accident.

I have spent a good amount of time with Ernie Emerson and have never heard that before. Sounds like a very tactikewl rumor. Reminds me of the knife that Jim Wagner did for Boker. It had a line on the blade to show you that 4 MM of penetration so that you would know you had pushed it in far enough to cause shock. More knife fighting BS and fairy dust. I personally would not carry a waved knife for SD, then again to stop someone I would smash their head with the closed folder over stabbing them. Hopefully someone will bring a waved trainer to my course in JUN. What do you mean you carry a waved knife but don't have a waved trainer....sitting here with my Home Alone shocked face.- George

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville

I remember reading somewhere that it was originally designed as a blade catch at the request of some U.S. military division and Mr. Emerson added the wave to get the contract to make the knives. And in the process, discovered the opening feature by accident.

I remember reading this in type, written in the first person by something with Mr. Emerson's name on it. But I can't remember if it was a post in a forum under his account or in a magazine interview or somewhere else. I'll have to dig through my Emerson research stuff again to see if I can find it.

Or I could be wrong, IDK.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I remember reading somewhere that it was originally designed as a blade catch at the request of some U.S. military division and Mr. Emerson added the wave to get the contract to make the knives. And in the process, discovered the opening feature by accident..

I found the info on the Wave feature I was looking for. I was wrong it was a video not in type. I don't usually care for Nutnfancy but I don't mind giving credit where credit is due, this is one of the best interviews of Mr. Emerson I have seen online.

[video=youtube_share;PwJz3KgAuJ0]http://youtu.be/PwJz3KgAuJ0[/video]

Fast forward to 27 minute mark to hear the story of how the Wave feature came to be straight from Mr. Emerson's mouth. But if you have time watch the whole video. It is worth it. Even though it is Nutnfancy.

Top Bottom