• ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Won't get into specifics, but I'm about 20:1 net worth vs. debt. I could pay off the pickup and the house, but having that balance invested is making me a lot more than I'm paying in interest. Student loans got paid off 3 years early while I was an expat in Australia. Car is paid for. Fiancé is better off than I am (shoes aren't *quite* as expensive as guns)...we'll be right around that same 20:1 combined. We're paying for the wedding ourselves.

If the wedding date wasn't 10/22, my brother and 3 best friends would be getting longslide 1911's.

A) yes, it wasn't any of my business

B) thank you for the answer in generics. I should have been more specific in my question by stating "you don't have to answer at all, but generic statements will work"

C) this was more of an exercise in thought and reflection - (Perhaps not only for OP, but for other considering similar things)

If one can easily afford personalized 10/22 rifles for groomsmen (be it 2 or 20), far be it from me to tell someone how to spend their money.

Additionally, as a man now in is late 30s, married for a while, AND debt free (save mortgage) - people come to this board all the time for advice on ABC and end up with advice on XYZ. I don't know OP from Adam, but I was hoping to slide in a little friendly financial advice as he was bouncing around INGO socializing with all the rest of us.

I STILL council on the side of "retire some debt with that money" as that investment will pay off better in the long run. But, that's just my opinion. OP seems sorted out.

Now if he were a guy struggling to put a tank of gasoline in his vehicle and on a few forms of social benefits - then he'd be in desperate need of real and honest financial counseling from a bona fide fiduciary - - and I'd still tell him that buying personalized 10/22 rifles for his groomsmen would be an absolutely foolish thing to do.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    A) yes, it wasn't any of my business

B) thank you for the answer in generics. I should have been more specific in my question by stating "you don't have to answer at all, but generic statements will work"

C) this was more of an exercise in thought and reflection - (Perhaps not only for OP, but for other considering similar things)

If one can easily afford personalized 10/22 rifles for groomsmen (be it 2 or 20), far be it from me to tell someone how to spend their money.

Additionally, as a man now in is late 30s, married for a while, AND debt free (save mortgage) - people come to this board all the time for advice on ABC and end up with advice on XYZ. I don't know OP from Adam, but I was hoping to slide in a little friendly financial advice as he was bouncing around INGO socializing with all the rest of us.

I STILL council on the side of "retire some debt with that money" as that investment will pay off better in the long run. But, that's just my opinion. OP seems sorted out.

Now if he were a guy struggling to put a tank of gasoline in his vehicle and on a few forms of social benefits - then he'd be in desperate need of real and honest financial counseling from a bona fide fiduciary - - and I'd still tell him that buying personalized 10/22 rifles for his groomsmen would be an absolutely foolish thing to do.
    Unless the op was asking for advice, I'd say MIND YOUR OWN FREAKING BUSINESS!!!

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    As far as engraving, if it's something you don't want to stand out too much, you might consider the left side of the receiver. If you look at pictures of the 50th Anniversary 10/22s, it may give you some ideas. The lettering is plain, but it works well and isn't ostentatious.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Unless the op was asking for advice, I'd say MIND YOUR OWN FREAKING BUSINESS!!!
    Hi, you must be new to INGO.

The OP did ask advice... maybe not about finances, though.

TF has a right to get his spidey-sense tingling; spending roughly $1000 on male attendant gifts* is a lot of money (not judging). Is the OP following the masses and going into a black hole of debt? (no, the OP's doing things right) INGO complains about millennials and snowflakes, and here comes one asking a question. Why not give some friendly advice?

* I was happy when I got a Cool Water gift set. Come to think of it, Cool Water still gets me laid, a new 10/22 has the opposite effect.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    15 years ago I got my groomsmen all maglights. I was going to have them engraved, but then changed my mind when I remembered who my buddies were and that these lights would just be rolling around on truck floorboards.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    15 years ago I got my groomsmen all maglights. I was going to have them engraved, but then changed my mind when I remembered who my buddies were and that these lights would just be rolling around on truck floorboards.

I went through a similar thought process very recently.

My "gift" is going to be just paying for their suits and or tux rentals... I feel as if my guys would honestly appreciate that more if not just as much as a gift.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    My friends and I did something similar to what Hoosier45 said. We just got the gifts without any wedding info on them. I rented all the tuxes but bought my groomsman one of those really big plaques that had the piece of the IU floor on them. My budy got us all a couple dozen Pro V1 golf balls with our nicknames stamped on them.

The gifts were personalized to us to say thanks. Even if these guns you buy aren't stamped they would still remember the story of how they acquired them.

I vote you do that awesome stock work from your brother either way you go. I would suggest though to stamp them with their nickname or something significant to show your bond with them.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I love the idea of the engraving and believe your close friends would cherish it forever. I am a young guy and I have been in several weddings over the past year. To say I have spent some money is an understatement as the price of just being a groomsman in a wedding is ridiculous these days. One particular instance would be my roommate and very close friend from college. I purchased a suit along with some nice shoes and all I got in return was the tie I wore for the wedding. I was kind of angry at first as every wedding I'd been in before I at least got some sort of item to remember the day whether it be a leatherman, cooler, or a bottle opener but I understand and am sure it will work out over time. Long story short go buy the guns and don't worry about it. If you asked them to be in your wedding you should have no problem with it. Have you considered wood burning on the stock assuming you are going wood? I'd think synthetic would be limited to something metal.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    Sorry for the lack of updates on this....we've been busy getting all the details finalized.

I ended up machining some medallions and having them laser engraved by Indy Laser Engraving. All I can say is "wow." Wendell did an absolutely outstanding job. My machining skills and lack of tools made for some ugly machining marks and grooves in the medallions. Wendell helped polish those out and shine them up for me before engraving. I had a buddy (the best man, actually) design up a logo, which I sent Wendell before hand. We worked together getting the orientation of everything just how I wanted it. He was nothing but patient with me tweaking and making small changes to the design and layout of what I wanted engraved. We ran a few test runs, and settled on a design.

I can't say enough good things about Indy Laser Engraving and Wendell. Great guy, great service, great customer support. He made 100% sure I was happy with the end product and that my groomsmen will be happy with their tokens of appreciation. Give him a visit, you will not be disappointed.
    http://i1254.photobucket.com/albums/hh620/jrh84/20161013_111030.jpg
    http://i1254.photobucket.com/albums/hh620/jrh84/20161014_172045.jpg
    http://i1254.photobucket.com/albums/hh620/jrh84/20161014_172203.jpg

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Man, those look pretty good! I also like what you ended up deciding on, very cool.

Top Bottom